How can I change textures and/or models?

SaucyBagel

Hello, I am interested in changing the texture and possibly model of the arrows and bolts so that they are more visible, mainly I want to change the texture to a bright red or something like that.

However, I have no idea how I would go about doing such a thing, and anyone giving me a quick rundown of how to do this, or directing me towards a tutorial that will help me possibly would be greatly appreciated.

I have done a bit of modding of other games before, but I have never done anything related to 7dtd before, so assume I don't know any of the lingo, or even how to do basic things.

Thanks, hope to hear from someone decently soon.

2 minutes ago, SaucyBagel said:

Does no one know? I've been trying to do a few different things but I can't figure it out, and a quick tutorial would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi SaucyBagel

You can check here and see if it helps you.

Thanks for the help, but I still can't seem to figure it out.

All I want to do is extract the texture file for arrows, color it red, maybe extract the mesh for arrows and make it a bit bigger, then re import them, I can't seem to figure it out, lol.

Every time I try to extract the texture for arrows with uabe as a png or tga it fails, saying "Unable to convert the texture data" and when I edit the color values or whatever it's called to something else it works, but then I can't open the png/tga with any programs, and when I extract "arrows" itself as a DAT file and try to open it with UAE it makes UAE straight up crash, it's almost comical lol, I've even installed unity 2019.2.17f1 and tried to open the DAT file and the resources.asset file with unity but it says it can't decompress the package for both of them.

I have a feeling that it's a really simple solution to do this, but now I know what little old ladies and men feel like when they're trying to do anything computer related, lol.

If anyone could maybe quickly tell me how I could do this I would be beyond grateful.

9 minutes ago, SaucyBagel said:

Thanks for the help, but I still can't seem to figure it out.

All I want to do is extract the texture file for arrows, color it red, maybe extract the mesh for arrows and make it a bit bigger, then re import them, I can't seem to figure it out, lol.

Every time I try to extract the texture for arrows with uabe as a png or tga it fails, saying "Unable to convert the texture data" and when I edit the color values or whatever it's called to something else it works, but then I can't open the png/tga with any programs, and when I extract "arrows" itself as a DAT file and try to open it with UAE it makes UAE straight up crash, it's almost comical lol, I've even installed unity 2019.2.17f1 and tried to open the DAT file and the resources.asset file with unity but it says it can't decompress the package for both of them.

I have a feeling that it's a really simple solution to do this, but now I know what little old ladies and men feel like when they're trying to do anything computer related, lol.

If anyone could maybe quickly tell me how I could do this I would be beyond grateful.

Will this help you?

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/1871-unity-assets-bundle-extractor/

or this

I think I might have figured it out, the "resources" file was not what I had to use, I had to use assetstudioGUI to open the "items" file in \Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Bundles\Other

So now I can view and export meshes and such, I just have to figure out how to re-import changed models and textures back into the items file, and find the texture used by arrows.

As a stopgap I swapped the stonearrow mesh in the items.xml file with the flaming arrow one, hahaha, so this will work for me for now until I can figure out how to do the thing properly.

EDIT: Nevermind, the flaming arrow mesh is pretty glitchy when it replaces the stone arrow.

Archived