Question for MP Server Admins

hkintheuk

Good day,

First of, my apologies if posting in the wrong sub forum. There's one for general support, but this is more Server related.

I run a private server for a few friends on a hosted solution.

My question is :

If I create a world in Nitrogen, and put it on my server (running B179), when I do a server update to B180, will that break any POI's or anything on the B179 map ?

In my mind, I assume that anything that was a bit broken in the world on the B179 would get "fixed" by overlaying the B180 update, but I just wanted to check.

Thank you.

It is possible that it will break POI's.  I did see some reports of POI's being spawned in different locations between b179 and b180. Often it was just something simple like trading spaces, but sometimes it can be a complete change in city layout. There is also a change in the map data that in generated, and a map from b179 may be completely incompatible with b180 regardless of POI's.

5 hours ago, hkintheuk said:

Thank you SylenThunder.

So basically, create a new Nitrogen Map using the normal inbuilt default prefablist if the beta changes is the best idea ?

Thank you.

Well IMHO, don't use Nitrogen since it's broken, and isn't as good as the built-in generator. Especially since it hasn't been updated in well over a month and is several updates behind.

I'm genuinely surprised and shocked, as I was of the opinion that everyone used Nitrogen these days for all their maps. I've used it quite a fair bit myself and the granularity of settings seems miles superior to the maps the in built RWG creates.  Even my hosting provider has notes on how to use it, and looking at other hosting providers, they seem to do the same too, so I figure it cannot be all that bad !

In what way would you say it is broken ? What does not work for you within it ? I'd genuinely like to know more. Thank you.

I'm still using Nitrogen (latest version) and have not had issues other than a minor graphical glitch with some water on the edge of my current map. Running the current map and have through both of the last two updates. Haven't seen any issues, no red errors or issues with POI's. If anything, there's less glitches than in previous maps. We're almost at day 150. 

Archived