zombie ai idea

flogen32

what if the zombie ai was similar to how electricity works? not how it works in the game but in real life, ie how current is distributed across resistance paths in a circuit.

so lets say you have 4 possible ways into your base each with 1000 hit points of blocks to go through. the zombies would split equally to each one.

then if you have 4 ways in with 3 at 1000 and one at 25000 they would ignore the 25k completely. unless you had 27 zombies and even then it would be just one of them hitting the 25k.

once one of those paths breaks and goes to 0 (a short in the ciruit) then yes all the zombies would all stop and rush in that one way.

anyway long story short they would chose the path of least resistance but every path would get at least 1 or so.

just a thought as i was working on repairing my base that is set up so the zombies see the one path and along that path is guess what? electric fences that freeze the zombies in place for a convenient head shot.

Zombies already calculate  least blocks between player  and them,  and  block HP also matters.

Example 2x walls and vault  door  main  entrance makes  zombies to focus on  that door. Because  least  amount  of blocks there to reach  player.

Also  if zombies cannot attack players,  some will break off and start to  attack random blocks. This secondary action could  be directed  to 2nd best route to reach player, diving the attack direction.

Diving  to  zombies  all  possible routes  could make base defence really easy, zombies cannot do enough damage to base before  night is over or they get killed.  When  they  focus on certain points,  block  damage is much more higher.

27 minutes ago, ZombiDweller said:

When  they  focus on certain points,  block  damage is much more higher.

Also afaik they get damage bonus in (larger) groups. That's another point why they should not split up.

But i don't like they way they magically know the easiest way to the player, even through dozens of blocks. Imho they should go for doors or blocks with less HP or of course search for even open paths.

13 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

But i don't like they way they magically know the easiest way to the player, even through dozens of blocks. Imho they should go for doors or blocks with less HP or of course search for even open paths.

Good point, knowledge of this can be used to when building  base defences.

Zombie AI  should have multiple random tactics  which they use in horde night.

Like you said should go for random point, or 2nd or 3rd weakest point of the base.

Maybe pile up tactic where some zombies just  act as ladder/block  to  others to  climb  walls. (world war z style)

Maybe target something else than player, focus on heat sources like campfire, forges, chemstations, and so on. At chunk  which has high heat levels.

Archived