Mega City Map Server & Client

Kaltharos

Hello,

I have a question, I noticed that map with lots of cities and mega sized cities consumes a very large RAM on the server.

However, does this affect the client too?

Because when I entered my server (the one using mega cities), my RAM usage spiked to about 9-10GB (on the client side).

So playing on a mega city map requires a large amount of RAM, even though we're the client?

Server is in a separated machine.

The clients will have to render all of those blocks. The more blocks there are to render, the more costly it is for the client.

It will only affect the client when they are in in the cities.

The larger the map is, the more RAM it will take up as well. It's possible that the more data contained in the map (cities) will also increase the amount of RAM required. Minimum recommended RAM is 12-16GB.

We have run multiple experiments with different maps/sizes. I definitely agree with the need of 12-16GB of RAM on client. On the server, when we run a 12K map with Mega cities, our clients with 8GB can sometimes initially login although that is usually the point where the client uses the most RAM. After the initial client login, there is usually a bit less RAM required until the map gets lived in. Then, clients with less RAM start to have issues. For that very reason, on our current map, we are only using "Large" cities as many of our clients are only running 12GB of RAM. I have also set the max client view distance to 10 vs. 12 being the MAX. That has helped stabilize the game play for those clients. I run 40GB of RAM on my client, but my server only has 16GB of RAM. During the initial starting of the server with the new map, it uses lots of RAM. However, after the initial start-up, I reboot the Server and it seems to only use about 50% of the RAM on the server (8GB) during hosting and about 10% of the 3.6Ghz processor. I reboot almost daily and this helps with everyone's performance. I create the maps on my local system (with the 40GB of RAM) using Nitrogen and then copy/move the map to the server to actually host it.

Archived