Grappling hooks

ricslady99

[QUOTE=ricslady99;124643]We could have different qualities of hooks with the crappy ones being more likely to fail.[/QUOTE] I'm thinking it's not always the hook that fails, but the thing it's hooked to. Like you get it wrapped around some chimney or metal pipe on a roof, but the pipe can't hold your weight. Or, the hook is not well set and comes loose. But, yes maybe a couple types of hooks that some are less likely to fail would be cool.

Would the hook require a lip or structure to hook to, to prevent grappling up to completely flat surfaces? I would think it would be terribly difficult to set a hook right on a square, unless you threw the hook clear across to the opposite edge...and certain blocks that it just fails completely in...i.e. sand. It would be interesting to see what you could do in cities with something like this as well. Not a climber, obviously, so perhaps I'm missing something here and these feats are reasonably simple. Feel free to correct me.

The idea is cool, but the utility of the object is questionable, as you can pretty much place ladders as you climb, which makes the hook superfluous. You can make ladders with sticks too, which is really easy, so why would you make a grappling hook that might fail if you can just build a ladder very high, with 10 or 20 logs? People would use it once, say "cool" and forget about it because ladders are easier. It would be very cool, but impractical as an addition to the game, making it look good, and place correctly would be meh. Instead of using it to climb buildings using it to move between the rooftops, like a zipwire, that would be useful and damn cool. It would have to be a weapon, a oneshot disposable gun perhaps.

[QUOTE=Empra;126387]The idea is cool, but the utility of the object is questionable, as you can pretty much place ladders as you climb, which makes the hook superfluous. You can make ladders with sticks too, which is really easy, so why would you make a grappling hook that might fail if you can just build a ladder very high, with 10 or 20 logs? People would use it once, say "cool" and forget about it because ladders are easier. It would be very cool, but impractical as an addition to the game, making it look good, and place correctly would be meh. Instead of using it to climb buildings using it to move between the rooftops, like a zipwire, that would be useful and damn cool. It would have to be a weapon, a oneshot disposable gun perhaps.[/QUOTE] I like this idea, a zipline gun that you can use to cross large horizontal gaps, that would be interesting to use =p

It does have more pvp applications, didnt really think of that. I thought you just meant a purely climbing device, if you meant zipline then I totally agree. Having a reusable one would be op though imo, one shot or something would be best.

[QUOTE=Empra;126700]It does have more pvp applications, didnt really think of that. I thought you just meant a purely climbing device, if you meant zipline then I totally agree. Having a reusable one would be op though imo, one shot or something would be best.[/QUOTE] or make it as rare as augers are currently lol then everyone would be trying to kill the one guy that found one so they could steal it for themselves lol

Here's a short video using the grappling hook from the game I got the idea from. In Landmark the upgrades allow a farther range. It would be useful for mining and building in addition to getting up ridges. I don't play PVP so I have no input on that. I suppose they could code it to not work on other players land claims. [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJq0fp6UOhk"]Video - Landmark Grapple Hook[/URL]

I'm not really in favor of a grappling hook. While it would be fun, it just wouldn't fit in, couldn't you just stop mid climb and just stay on the rope and zombies couldn't attack you? And won't that allow access to places the zombies can't go? However, I can see something like rappelling being added into the game. Once you get onto a roof or something, you manually attach a hook to the roof and a rope drops down. You can't stop yourself on the rope to save yourself from zombies and it won't allow for access to places you can't normally go.

Archived