Prefabs as decorations in biomes.xml

Kubikus

You can place prefabs as decoration in biomes.xml, like so:

<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_03" prob=".003"/>

It seems that only prefabs under a certain size (roughly 25 blocks) can be placed, even when the terrain is practically flat. Is there a xml-workaround, a notation in the prefab's xml that I am missing, or is it what it is? I'm personally not interested in any advanced methods like .dll hacks and whatnot.

Most of the terrain won't have enough space for the bigger prefabs, except near the outskirts of towns/cities. If you up the prob="" high enough, you may get one of the bigger ones spawn in a valley. Either way, if it's a bigger prefab, just give it a decent prob="" value.

edit: and expect it to be near the outskirts of towns/cities when you look for it.

Most of the terrain won't have enough space for the bigger prefabs, except near the outskirts of towns/cities. If you up the prob="" high enough, you may get one of the bigger ones spawn in a valley. Either way, if it's a bigger prefab, just give it a decent prob="" value.

edit: and expect it to be near the outskirts of towns/cities when you look for it.

Have you tried it and can confirm larger buildings spawn?

I have created a map with the NitroGen tool using all options to make a flat world, that I then would like to turn in one mega-city, packed with all kinds of buildings. And it turned out very flat indeed. Noticing that only the smallest prefabs spawn (I made a list with literally every one), I had made a couple of simple prefabs to test my "theory", just squares of different sizes with three layers of some block. 25 x 25 spawns, 30 x 30 does not. I just tried again, setting the prob to one-bloody-hundred,

, but same result. Visual evidence:

https://imgur.com/a/8OGdC2x

First is 30x30 (not spawning), second 25x25, then another with the vanilla wasteland buildings set to prob=100. The burnt buildings spawn because they too are smaller than 30x30.

I'm not 100%, but afai-remember that was not like so in A16, at least I could spawn a lot more vanilla buildings. Though these might've all been removed or changed.

Yes I have tried. Yes I got the bigger prefabs to spawn (not football stadium big, nor skyscraper big). I just added more of the rubble prefabs you find in the industrial zone. I didn't use Nitro gen. (Vanilla not Nitro. Nitro is the best we have atm) It definitely isn't what it used to be. Not a fan on how they have done the biomes, nor with how limiting it is with being able to decorate them, nor with how you can't make new ones. The biggest prefab I was able to get in was the business wrecked bldgs. ofc I didn't try anything larger then those. Stal and pille are probably the people you want to ask about getting in larger prefabs. since they know it the best.

Yes I have tried. Yes I got the bigger prefabs to spawn (not football stadium big, nor skyscraper big). I just added more of the rubble prefabs you find in the industrial zone. I didn't use Nitro gen. It definitely isn't what it used to be. Not a fan on how they have done the biomes, nor with how limiting it is with being able to decorate them, nor with how you can't make new ones. The biggest prefab I was able to get in was the business wrecked bldgs. ofc I didn't try anything larger then those. Stal and pille are probably the people you want to ask about getting in larger prefabs. since they know it the best.
Curious. Can you copypaste the line that worked for you? Inside regular (non-sub-biome) wasteland? I will try it in a non NitroGen world then, but since I need a flat earth, I too need the tool to get it done.

New vanilla RWG sucks and overall world design with measly 5 biomes certainly sucks. What were they thinking.

<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_01" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_02" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_03" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_04" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_05" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_06" prob=".05"/>

I put those in the snowbiomes main deco.

Added that to all the prefabs

<property name="AllowedTownships" value="city,town[b],wilderness[/b]" />

<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_01" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_02" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_03" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_04" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_05" prob=".05"/>
<decoration type="prefab" name="waste_rubble_bldg_06" prob=".05"/>

I put those in the snowbiomes main deco.

Added that to all the prefabs

<property name="AllowedTownships" value="city,town[b],wilderness[/b]" />

Thanks for the effort and sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The issue is only with buildings that have a side (length or width; no idea about height) larger than ~ 25 blocks. My selfmade prefab with 30 x 30 base did not spawn, 25 x 25 did. The ones you posted images of are smaller, but what about these guys:

waste_rubble_bldg_05

waste_rubble_bldg_06

https://imgur.com/a/bRPBpBV

They are > 30 blocks, did you see any of them?

Also, I did try it, with no change, but the "AllowedTownships" property-notation "wilderness" seems to be irrelevant here. Small enough prefabs appear in the wilderness without that. I think it is only necessary for prefabs that are placed during world generation, those that also are listed in the prefab.xml in the "AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\GeneratedWorlds" folder.

I've had those spawn as well. What I did was nothing more than a quick test when A18.4 dropped. Haven't revisited it since. For whatever reason, if I didn't include "wilderness", they didn't spawn. When I did, they did <shrug>. Again I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. Just was a quick test. When I get a bit more time, I will see what the max size I can do. Just not at that point yet. Hope we can do prefabs bigger than 30m. That would be even more disappointing, if we can't anymore.

Archived