16k random gen maps gone?

hraser

It's possible to edit the xml to allow making 16k maps IIRC. You can also use Nitrogen. I found Nitrogen was more efficent at making an 8k map than the built-in generator. Since the first and only map I made with the built-in was 80% desert, I never bothered to use it again after trying Nitrogen.

I don't use 16k maps but I can definitely vouch for Nitrogen. Great tool to make the terrain and biomes the way you'd like with as many/little POIs as well as the type (Comp pack and POIs from mods like Ravenhearst and Darkness Falls). And it only takes a couple of minutes to generate a map although I only make 8k maps. 16 will take a bit more but nothing like the RWG in game.

16k is really cutting it close for computers without lots of ram.

I suggest turning off the preview map rendering for really large maps to save some memory. (or use the classic preview)

Oops, I should have been more clear. While I did need to up RAM allocation to 10G, I generated several 16k maps with no problem. The reason I reverted to an 8k map was RAM usage when playing a 16k map. It starts out at +10G and if I exit to the main menu and continue the game crashes with OOM.

Archived