Player files constantly getting corrupted

GameDaddy

I'm sure I'm not the first to post about player files getting corrupted, so please forgive me if it's been covered before.

Without going into a ton of detail, every new game I start eventually ends up crashing multiple times until the player data file gets corrupted. Everything I've done in the world (base building and tools in inventory) remain intact, but all of my player progress is wiped clean.

My suggestion is, it would really be helpful if 7D2D did progressive saves so you could revert to a working copy of the world. Presently the backup saves are made at the exact same time that the original save is done. If the original save is corrupt, so is the backup. At that point, the backup serves no useful purpose... unless I'm missing something.

Thanks.

1. Fix your issue with it crashing. That's your real problem.

2. This is a Voxel game where data is constantly being updated to hundreds of files. This isn't like your other 2D games where it's just some static data that can be saved quick, and only uses a few megabytes of space. Creating a constant backup of your game would require several hundred gigabytes of drive space. It's simply not reasonable to do progressive saves, or have multiple save version when one save can consist of several thousand files taking up 3 to 30 GB each.

Key files have a backup version, and if you crash you can replace the main with the backup before starting the game up again. If you start it without performing this action though, you just killed the backup.

If you check the Sticky FAQ, there is a post including a method that can possibly save you. There is also a thread here in this section just a few posts below with information on how to possibly fix the corrupted data.

Archived