Expanding smelting

Nightspawn

Id really like TFP to expand more on their ore refining by adding the following:

A liquid state for ore (molten).

A new way to refine ore.

A reworked/new forge/smeltery.

The devs could keep it UI based but just larger, the small forge that we currently use is kind of godly with how much it can hold and what it is capable of. I actually kind of feel like I am cheating once I get to that part of the game. Just gotta fill my trusty godlyhole with random ♥♥♥♥ and it will produce whatever I want with minimal effort.

The only issue 7days has (IMO) is the ease of production of complicated goods. Adding another step to the production of goods would help a lot. Maybe the current forge could only help you produce basic items you can make by hand or casts, casts can be used for more complicated items. This would also leave a nice spot for a POI to be introduced to help make more complicated items (like a smeltery).

The forge should be heavily nerfed and a new form of it introduced for mid-late game usage. Am I the only one that feels like I am cheating with how OP the forge is? It's like a 3d printer that doesnt take electricity and can form things out of anything you want but is also just a big lump of clay and stones.

Edit use to be expanding electricity despite no electricity based suggestions lol mb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Go take a look at the old Forge system around A10 or something - you can download that on steam. it used to be exactly that - you needed to make a mold of an Item first, then you could make the item.

This was cool on the one hand, bc you actually needed to find the item in the world so you could make the mold first. but on the other hand it just lead to chests over chests filled with molds - which was pretty annoying - So right now its jsut gameplay over realism (e.g. you can add more than 1 Item to the crafting queue and dont have to change the mold after every Item, which was annoying a.f.).

The only thing really bothering me with the Forge and which should definitely get worked on is the smelting time - this tiny little forge shoud NOT smelt material as fast as you need it in the end. I think the smelting time now should be a "Tier 2 Forge" thing - the Tier 1 Forge should be slower, then you have the timing right now, and then here should be a Tier 3 Blast or Arc Furnace, powered with electricity or Coal, that has WAY faster smelting times and also is the only way to produce Steel. That would add realism without the hastle of molds/casts all over again...

Archived