Melee hit scan

Scavengers_son

I love the new quick slash / power attack follow-up in a17, but I have this problem with hitting zombies up close. You see, I usually aim for the head, and I can clearly see my weapon swing in a wide sideways arc so I would expect it to hit as long as i get my aim at the right height. But, if the zombie twitches and moves its head just a tiny bit (which they tend to do a lot), I hit only air even though I can clearly see my weapon travel through the bugger's head. I get it, it's the ray cast hit scan thing, right? Swinging a club is like shooting a pistol, right? But could it be possible to at least cast a few more hit scan rays when swinging the weapon, to reflect the arc it's traveling? Or if more rays is too much, maybe make melee attacks check for bigger hit boxes?

Another thing I find infuriating is when I power strike a zombie that stumbled down from my last blow, only to find all my energy going into cutting some grass in front of it. Is there anything to be done about that?

Regarding A18...

On the plus side, (IMO both are a huge plus, zombies were zero threat before and I didn't need armor at all) players now have a glancing blow so as you swipe your sword across a guy it might hit his arm and then hit his face for the intended hit. If you miss by a milimeter you will get a glancing blow, so less missed head shots that result in nothing at all, and it kind of helps make combat feel less binary.

Archived