Crash often when in multiplayer 17.3/17.4

Ferdley

I'm regularly getting a game crash while playing on a multiplayer server hosted by friends. Last night was particularly bad where I had 7 crashes in 5 hours. The previous session I had just two crashes. When I run a local game in single player, crashes are very infrequent, but they are the exact same crash as I get in multiplayer.

We only run the latest stable build. The last session we started on 17.3 stable, but moved up to 17.4 stable in case this would improve my crash rate, but it made no difference. We run just one mod (Simple UI) to adjust the display of the HUD slightly. The host of the game has an identical build of PC, but has not had any crashes.

The crash seems to manifest when the game is busy - for example I crashed during our horde night and during several POI clears. Each time the log file shows the same crash in tlsf_free. When it does crash I see the screen freeze and the in-game mouse pointer is shown and then it drops me to desktop.

System is a recent build AMD Ryzen 2600 with Windows 10 (fully patched), GFX 1050ti (drivers less than one month old), 32 GB RAM. System temperatures never go above 60 Celcius on the CPU or graphics card. Windows has been completely stable on this setup - no blue screens or unusual restarts. I play many other games on the same machine and they do not exhibit any similar troubles which leads me to believe it might be isolated to 7days.

I've uploaded a pastebin of one of the crash logs from 17.4 here: https://pastebin.com/rFzjhYAa I have more if you need.

OK, usually when I see a crash like this, it's because something else interrupted the client's ability to function. Usually that's the AV software, but it could be a glitch in DirectX or the GPU driver. (Latest driver is less than a week old.)

So first, you want to fully exclude the client from your security software. Instructions, and reasons why are here.

Second, update your GPU driver. Here is the download link. Download the driver. Then right-click it and choose "Run as administrator". Then Choose to install just the driver, and not GE-Force Experience. When prompted for Express, or Advanced install, choose Advanced. Then choose the box for "Perform a clean installation"

Lastly, this is just a curiosity really. Why would you put together a system on a decent level of hardware, and then stick an entry-level GPU in it? The 1050 isn't exactly exceptional, and is only just barely above some inbred API's.

Recommendations applied. Won't know if they are successful until our next multiplayer game which should be this weekend. The 1050 is a re-used card from the old PC this one replaced, however it still runs all the games I want to play at good quality settings so it will see quite a bit of use yet :)

Archived