InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

PurgatoryWolf

Summary: Error at my base = InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.

Version: 17.2 b27

Platform: pc

OS/Version: Windows

Game mode: MP - Dedi Client - RWG

Did you wipe old saves? y

Did you start a new game? y

Did you validate your files? y

Are you using any mods? CPM (only impacts server management)

EAC on or off ? On

Bug Description: There is an error that pops up in the command console and scrolls 4 times, anytime I load into my base. It is a prefab I built in the editor and loaded into this server. Anyone who approaches my base gets the same error.

I would like to note I have this base on two servers, and it only does this on one of them. It's not just one and done either, any time you walk away from it, and then walk back into view they come up again. I would really like to know the cause so I can try to fix it.

Prefab was built in the Editor during alpha 17, so all the blocks should be proper versions, and again, this is only happening on one of the two servers.

unknown.png

https://pastebin.com/Zq9xhHdt

Yeah it's super annoying. Especially when it's a popular location and near the center of the map, so anyone going there or even passing by gets slammed with the console. I don't think it's caused anyone to die yet, but it's really annoying.

I tested it on the other server to make sure it wasn't my build doing it, no errors at all over there, so something happened on this one when it rendered in. I've flown around it, and under it, trying to figure out what's wrong. I can't see any possible cause for the error, but it would be nice to know exactly what it means, and what I can look for, and a way to repair it, if possible. It's too late to remove it and place it some where else, and there's no guarantee that removing it would even remove the error.

Try doing a chunk repair on that area, and see if it helps.

No dice, i know the chunk thats having issues, i recorded, flew up into the sky and moved slowly so i could check frame by frame what chunk caused the console to pop. I tried several X Y values in that chunk.

ajRFzzb.png

Usually it's just one block that triggers it when you look at it. If you can determine the block, and nuke just that block, the issue should resolve. It's really hard to do though because the error will just spam. Outside of resetting the chunk, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Usually it's just one block that triggers it when you look at it. If you can determine the block, and nuke just that block, the issue should resolve. It's really hard to do though because the error will just spam. Outside of resetting the chunk, I'm not sure what else you can do.

Sadly thats about 3 months of someone's work that chunk is sitting in, i cannot just reset it.

If you know a way to identify the block in question let me know, otherwise i think this post is really just to let the dev's know and hopefully the fix it in the next patch.

Archived