A sign

SittingDuck

Its been suggested a few times before and would certainly be a welcome addition. I too would like to be able to create signs just so I can mark down which storage chest that I have contains what. Right now everything is based on memory or just opening them 1 by 1 to see what's inside. Would be nice if we can mark them to indicate like Food, Guns & Ammo, Water, Building Materials, Tools, etc.

Gunsafes for guns and ammo are OK but I don't use them regularly simply because it costs too much just to make one (15 Iron ingots is alot...). While the cabinets and drawers simply don't have enough room compared to a storage chest. Hence I don't use them unless its simply for aesthetic purposes. Though I did break apart a fridge and take it back to use as my own once before to store all my water. But its capacity was still less than that of a storage chest.

Signs are and have been a well need and much asked for addition to the game, of course its more then just a matter of adding a model and recipe. I am sure that it would entitle a big of coding to make it so we can place our custom messages on it. I had really hoped to see signs finally sneak their way into the game over the 8.0 generations as random generator worlds and their sizes sort of scream for the need of signs. Extensive mining without signs as landmarks as well as no way to mark organized chests or who sleeps in what room really has called for signs but other things could be used. However, without signs, people trying to locate areas (like your base at least in co-op where you want them to) is going to be hard. I hate using an MC comparison but it fits here - with a 'without end' world or a minimap you have to rely on the bread crumb method of finding where you have been or where others are. Anyone playing MC long knows that works with torches just fine until one path crosses another and you have to way to mark that crossroad with information about what direction goes where. Plus as the world expands above ground - so does it underneath and mines get bigger and more complex and you cannot write on walls. Torches don't work as a marker to various parts of the mines and leaving various pieces for furniture to be followed at intersections gets mess and confusing (follow the red cupboards to the intersection where you see bed01 and wood chairs and follow the hallway marked by bedrolls) ....

[QUOTE=Fr0gb0mber;117186]Right now I use a safe for guns and ammo, cabinets for food, and chests for all others. Aside from a chest by the forges and campfires, which stores immediate needs for them.[/QUOTE] Only prob with that is you cannot lock them. Wish you could lock any player created container. I did put a few chests down the wall, and put 1 gravel block on top of the chest with gravel, 1 concrete on top of the box with concrete, etc... doesnt work for all items, but building blocks works nicely. That will at least limit the # of boxes that are unmarked.

yep we need a sign. Hate to say it but.... do something like minecraft, where we can put a little saying on the sign, simple, short, and language filtered. after all we don't want a bunch of signs saying a hole and f u all over the place in our world.

Even just having a selection of recycled traffic signs that you could post would be nice. Being able to put a stop sign on a house, or a "Warning: Explosives" sign on my box of bullets, or "Do Not Enter!" on my fort would give me the ability to communicate without having to implement an entire custom sign system into the game.

Archived