Metal Trussing

dashbarron

So I built a new sky base out of concrete blocks pillars, instead of metal trussing, which I'm lamenting.

Anyways, is there any difference in structural integrity between the old and new metal trussing? Because 16 blocks would be better than the 7 that concrete offers. And I hate how easy it is to fall through the new trussing blocks!

Hi ! Just checked A17e xml, and metal trussing has material Mmetal_medium with SI = 15 = 300/20.

You could check your current version xml to make sure (blocks.xml and materials.xml).

Why did you use concrete over metal ? Also, the horizontal support block could be iron, on top of concrete

Hi ! Just checked A17e xml, and metal trussing has material Mmetal_medium with SI = 15 = 300/20.

You could check your current version xml to make sure (blocks.xml and materials.xml).

Why did you use concrete over metal ? Also, the horizontal support block could be iron, on top of concrete

1) Thanks for the XML tip. I'll look for those.

2) I...kind of forgot about this. I keep thinking I need to get a solid bedrock foundation, but after looking into it it's more just don't undermine the pillar. I also thought the pillar's material mattered, but you're right, it's just the top pillar block, doh.

3) I still think reinforced concerete is harder to kill/easier to repair? I think it's 5000 durability instead of 1000 on metal trussing?

3b) I have enough supports on concrete, that I might be able to destroy the top block and replace with metal trussing so later if I loose a support I'll be OK.

About 2) and SI:

Let's take the following schema:

HWWW

V

HWWW

V

V

VGGGGGGG

VGGGGGGG

VGGGGGGG

VGGGGGGG

BBBBBBBBBBBBBB

Where

- V: vertically supported blocks, down to bedrock. Vertical stability is infinite.

- W: weighting blocks that require support. SI applies.

- G: ground blocks, usually clay / rock

- B: bedrock

- H: blocks (vertically supported) that support the horizontal weight

Then only the glue of H and W matter. And indeed, the best proof is that very often some of the V blocks will be basic ground blocks like clay or sand.

So if your first W level is high enough from the ground, so that Z/cops/spiders won't hit it, it does not need HP. The 3 first V blocks above the ground however will take the damages from the Z (if they don't have a path to you and go into destroy mode), so these need be stronger.

Also, there is a trick to increase the length of the W bridge you can build. By adding diagonal support, or using multiple faces of the H block, you can increase the supported glue.

HWWW

HWW

HW

V

V

V

B

This allow you to build longer bridges with cobblestone/cement. There is however a max limit independant of the material.

There is a a very good tutorial on youtube by Capoo on SI (

). Most of it should still be pretty accurate. The precise values can be found in the xml, but they do not seem to have changed a lot since a16 (at least for wood/rock/metal blocks).

About 3b)

If you only change H from cement to metal, you will gain 1 block length, but not more, because the first W block will become the limiting factor. If you change the whole level "HWWWW" into metal, then you will reach SI=16 from metal. It might be a good idea to add temporary support during the change :)

And in the general case, yes you want some margin with SI, because players/zombie/furnitures have a weight, and also in case one pillar or supporting block breaks.

Archived