Ideas for compromises for A17

telken132

Just some ideas for compromises between A16 and A17.

These are just some partially thought out ideas based on what i have been gleaming from the forum posts by others. If you agree or disagree please post your idea about how the old and new systems could be used together to make 7D2D better. Scraping entire new systems is not the idea of this post.

I am not a programmer and do not have any idea how hard to program or performance taxing it would be to modify/create the systems below. Maybe my ideas would need a large rewrite or cause large bottlenecks in performance but it never hurts to put ideas out there.

Learn By Doing & Perks

Remove Character levels. Gaining character levels would have no effect on you.

Make the main attributes (Strength, Perception, Fortitude, Agility and Intellect) Learn By Doing.

Instead of 10 points per tree go to 50. Make it a gradual increase up to 50 (Cannot buy any attributes).

Leave the skills themselves able to be purchased by the points acquired in each separate attribute. The "level gating" would then be having to perform a repetitive action to get enough points to purchase desired skills.

You gain skill points in each tree by actually doing an action that fits into the attribute.

Building/crafting things to gain Intellect skill points

Using guns and bows, wrenching items and looting to gain Perception skill points

Use melee and mine for Strength skill points

Cardio type actions (running, jumping, swimming, and sneaking) for Agility skill Points

Harvesting animals & Crops, using antibiotics and medicine, taking hits from zombies for Fortitude Skill Points

Exploration requirements

Why not take the vehciles out of the crafting options. While searching you might find a broken vehicle. Make it so you have to go out and find parts to fix it (RNG Loot, non craftable). Once you get it repaired you can pick it up to inventory and repair with repair kits.

Higher tier vehicles could be spawned in Dungeon POIs. You could also make them appear in quest POIs. Good reward for taking on higher tier quests.

Ex. 1

Only find the gyrocopter on the roof of a skyscraper, airfield or hospital (somewhere it makes sense).

Ex. 2

Find the jeep in a garage of a dungeon POI or parking garage. You would have to protect it since zombies can hit it and make it explode therefore making you continue your search for another jeep to fix up.

Ex. 3

Bicycles and minibikes could be found in scrap yards. These would be a little more common then the jeep and gyrocopter. You would still need to find the parts to repair the bicycle.

Gun Parts/Mods

I really don't have to much of a issue with the mods system. I believe TFP will be looking to add a lot more mods in time. Which i believe in the long run would be better than gun parts.

What are some of your ideas?

I don't think this would work for Intelligence as that would be a return to spam crafting, which almost nobody liked. Maybe instead of crafting, move the wrenching skill from perception to intelligence and have wrenching things give intelligence exp. Also, I think you meant fortitude for the last stat.

Finding vehicles in the world would only work in SP. In MP it would immediately devolve into haves and have nots.

Vehicles and attributes

I don't think this would work for Intelligence as that would be a return to spam crafting, which almost nobody liked. Maybe instead of crafting, move the wrenching skill from perception to intelligence and have wrenching things give intelligence exp. Also, I think you meant fortitude for the last stat.

Finding vehicles in the world would only work in SP. In MP it would immediately devolve into haves and have nots.

Yep i did mean fortitude.

You could move wrenching. It would make sense under Intelligence. You would get better at taking things apart as you do it.

For spam crafting you would have to adjust how much experience is gained by low cost items to stop that from happening.

(Just a example) A stone axe would give you 1xp per item(s). While something that requires forged iron (Iron bars) would give you 200xp per item(s).

You could still find vehicles if it is tied to quest instances. The buildings are reset when you start a quest so vehicles could still spawn there.

How did finding a minibikes for dumb♥♥♥♥s book work on MP servers? If you got onto a server and everything was looted or destroyed what did you do to find it? Relying on any RNG in a world populated by so many has risks. If you don't get out there and explore, then you don't get the good loot.

I for one like some of A16's system but I don't like the idea of taking damage to level fortitude either that much. It made zero sense to hug a cactus for hours to grind armor skill in the past.

Yeah i agree taking damage to learn fortitude is a bad idea.

Currently i don't see many people actually using the magazines. I think tying the books/magazines to this attribute would work. If you don't want to look for the magazines, then you could still increase your fortitude through Harvesting animals & Crops, making/using antibiotics and bandages.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep i did mean fortitude.

You could move wrenching. It would make sense under Intelligence. You would get better at taking things apart as you do it.

For spam crafting you would have to adjust how much experience is gained by low cost items to stop that from happening.

(Just a example) A stone axe would give you 1xp per item(s). While something that requires forged iron (Iron bars) would give you 200xp per item(s).

You could still find vehicles if it is tied to quest instances. The buildings are reset when you start a quest so vehicles could still spawn there.

How did finding a minibikes for dumb♥♥♥♥s book work on MP servers? If you got onto a server and everything was looted or destroyed what did you do to find it? Relying on any RNG in a world populated by so many has risks. If you don't get out there and explore, then you don't get the good loot.

For a couple reasons it worked ok before. First and foremost, most servers reset loot containers every 30 game days unless changed (this is still true today). The other more important reason, was maps were big. Like really big. The default size (which was only changeable in xml) was 314 km^2. The current RWG let's you choose up to 8xxx by 8xxx with the sliders, which amounts to a little less than 64km^2. You can get up to 256 km^2 but the larger servers are extremely hard to find on the server browser.

There use to be enough POIs to go around, but not anymore.

Archived