Screen Resolution: (width and height)

Video Settings: high but its not a graphics bug

Game mode: SP 

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? No

Are you using any mods?No

EAC on or off?  default

Bug Description: When starting a quest from a trader. I made a box and put stuff in the secure locked box. I put a torch next to it. Once I finished the quest the box and the torch were gone.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1)put item in quest area

2)start and finish quest

3)see if items still around

Actual result: box and all items gone along with torch

Expected result: the objects still to be there

I have not tried to replicate this again I will tomorrow

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Where did you place the box? If you placed it close to where you are doing the quest, that is your problem. When you start a quest it resets the area around the quest location. Some players will even use this to their advantage by looting the quest poi first and then starting the quest so everything respawns.

I myself lost my gear first time I did a quest by placing a chest next to the poi before starting the quest. Now I make sure I am well away from it if I want to place a chest down first.

So its expected to reset the area? i was not very close to the area (next to the road)

and it didn't take the bike away. 

I understand how it could be abused but is this the ideal/correct action to reset the area? How far away is far enough?

It is not "ideal". But reseting the POI is the only way to insure that quests can be done repeatedly and by anyone even in multiplayer games in a fully destructable world.

A POI's footprint is bigger than just to the walls, it usually goes nearly to the street and may include parking lots, gardens or fields depending on the building.

The streets are relatively safe from this, I usually place storage boxes directly on the street. It also means they are easily spotted from afar.

Entities like you, your bike, your turret or drone, and zombies are not affected by the reset

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I am sorry you lost your items,  but as Gamida and meganoth said,  POI areas resetting upon quest activation is not a bug.  I will be moving this to the not a bug category.

but if its not a bug then its bad design. 

so the POI area resets and leaves some player left items, but not others. no way to know what will be impacted other than trial and error.

there is no visible boundary for the POI area that is impacted by the reset.

its not an ideal solution to the problem as stated above.  I understand that you want the quest to be playable by more players, this game has become more and more requiring it to be a MMO just to survive.

its not a feature request because this isnt asking for a "new" something. asking for the expected outcome to be fixed. 

anyway thats my soapbox 

have a good one. 

simple F11 test

step onto the poi and hit F11 for a dbs and note the name of the poi in it...

step away from poi doing the F11 until the name is not in the dbs...

thats probably the easiest method for not admin players..

another is via the F3 open and doing same thing til you get the idea where the poi boundaries are.

as for design, its been this way since adding the quests to pois... the reset function needs to completely reset everything within the poi boundaries so players must use caution as they will loose chests and items in them.

there is a new feature added in a21 that may help a little with this but resetting the poi will not be stopped as it is needed.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

14 hours ago, p0rtm0lester said:

but if its not a bug then its bad design. 

so the POI area resets and leaves some player left items, but not others. no way to know what will be impacted other than trial and error.

there is no visible boundary for the POI area that is impacted by the reset.

its not an ideal solution to the problem as stated above.  I understand that you want the quest to be playable by more players, this game has become more and more requiring it to be a MMO just to survive.

its not a feature request because this isnt asking for a "new" something. asking for the expected outcome to be fixed. 

anyway thats my soapbox 

have a good one. 

As I said as well it isn't ideal. But there is no ideal solution that doesn't impact performance, does not allow exploits, doesn't mean artificial visibile boundaries to be shown. ALL solutions have drawbacks.