• A20 multiplayer "E" key not working; I'm unable to interact with items.

Par_A

Summary: When connecting to our dedicated server, I get into the game and can do things, but no "E" key. Just doesn't work. I can walk around, punch grass to get fibers and craft and place the bedroll, but can't pick up a small stone or examine trash. 

I'm also an admin on the server, but in the brief time I was in-game the terminal behind F1 didn't recognize me; it didn't respond to dm or cm.

My friends get into the game without problems. The game runs beautifully with stunning graphics on my local copy.

Game Version: A20 b231

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Linux Mint 20.2, Kernel: 5.11.0-43-generic

CPU Model: 10-Core model: Intel Core i9-10900 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: N/A 
               L2 cache: 20.0 MiB

System Memory: 64 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT/16GB 
    AMD vendor: Gigabyte driver: amdgpu v: 5.11.19.21.30 bus ID: 03:00.0 
               chip ID: 1002:73bf 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: amdgpu,ati 
               unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
               resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (SIENNA_CICHLID DRM 3.42.0 5.11.0-41-generic 
               LLVM 12.0.1)

Screen Resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz

Video Settings: Ultra

Game mode: multiplayer client to dedicated server on Ubuntu Server 20.04

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? Off

Bug Description: The "E" key doesn't work.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:
    1) Launch A20
    2) Connect to game on server
    3) Attempt to play the game.

Actual result: When connecting to our dedicated server, there is no "E" key. Just doesn't work. I can walk around, punch grass to get fibers and craft and place the bedroll, but can't pick up a small stone or examine trash. 

I'm also an admin on the server, but in the brief time I was in-game the terminal behind F1 didn't recognize me; it didn't respond to dm or cm.

My friends get into the game without problems. The game runs beautifully with stunning graphics on my local copy.

Expected result: I expect to be able to interact normally with objects in the game.

Here's my logs:
    Client: https://pastebin.com/0f3UFs8t
    Server: https://pastebin.com/tJmRjn0w

I have created three other reports about various issues I've had in the on-going process of trying to play A20 with my friends on our dedicated server. We've had a dedicated server since A18, and I've been able to play on it from either Linux or Windows. The info in the other issues may be pertinent to this one, and I can post those links if desired.

Any thoughts appreciated,
    Par

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

this happened to me as well the one running the server as host cant log out before anyone else or this bug will happen and you cant loot. to fix it you have to start a new game server.

39 minutes ago, CptYager said:

this happened to me as well the one running the server as host cant log out before anyone else or this bug will happen and you cant loot. to fix it you have to start a new game server.

Hi CptYager, thanks for responding.

I'll try what you suggest, but we've already been down a similar road.

At one point we were chasing a possible problem with Ubuntu Server updates, so created a whole new server instance from scratch. Complete fresh installation of Ubuntu and a fresh install of 7d2d server.

That allowed me to connect and play normally, but only temporarily. The problem keeps recurring. At the moment, I can't get into our game. It hangs on "Creating character..."

That hang can sometimes be cleared temporarily by wiping BOTH my local game save files and the ones on the server. In any case, if I get back in it might work temporarily or not, but will fail as I'm connected, or the next time I try to connect.

Thanks,

Par

I haven't run into the issue of not connecting but I was told before going to experimental you need to delete all old save files from the base game before you switch to beta if you haven't maybe that's what is going on?

1 hour ago, CptYager said:

I haven't run into the issue of not connecting but I was told before going to experimental you need to delete all old save files from the base game before you switch to beta if you haven't maybe that's what is going on?

Thanks for the reply.

I've deleted both my local and server save files numerous times. Sometimes, that gets me past the hang on "Creating player..." which then gets me to the next problem, hanging on "Starting game..."

The times I get past "Starting game..." I get into the game and can't use the "E" key.

All three of these problems keep recurring, even after deleting the files.

regards,

Par

At that point I would try deleting everything Uninstalling the game and re-installing but I'm sure you tried that at that point I would run out of ideas and go back to the stable version to play. Not sure why it would keep doing it even after doing all that. If it keeps not working I hope someone else can give you an answer I tried XD

20 hours ago, CptYager said:

At that point I would try deleting everything Uninstalling the game and re-installing but I'm sure you tried that at that point I would run out of ideas and go back to the stable version to play. Not sure why it would keep doing it even after doing all that. If it keeps not working I hope someone else can give you an answer I tried XD

Yeah, I've tried all that stuff. This one goes deeper, I'm afraid.

Thanks for trying, though. I appreciate it.

Par

20 minutes ago, cheebsco said:

I am unable to reproduce this issue.  Have you had this problem persist on A20.2?

Hi Cheebsco

It's been some time since I tried connecting to a server from my Linux game. Let me try that again, and I'll get current versions of both the client and server logs.

Thanks for the response. 

Par

On 2/16/2022 at 2:11 PM, cheebsco said:

I am unable to reproduce this issue.  Have you had this problem persist on A20.2?

Hi cheebsco,

I've managed to get back to this amid all that's going on...

The behaviour is still largely the same as reported above in the first post. Here's all the info again though for convenience, updated where needed to be current to today.

Summary:

(The player save files were removed from both the client and server, so this is an initial log-in.) When connecting to our dedicated server it worked at first, but after a while there was no "E" key. Just stopped working. I could walk around, punch grass to get fibers and craft and place the bedroll, but couldn't pick up a small stone or examine trash. Nothing happened.

I'm also an admin on the server, "dm" and "cm" worked when I first logged-in, but after a while in-game they didn't respond anymore.
    On a second log-in, it often doesn't recognise me as an admin.

Game Version: A20.3 b3 

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Linux Mint 20.2, Kernel: 5.4.0-104-generic

CPU Model: 10-Core model: Intel Core i9-10900 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: N/A 
               L2 cache: 20.0 MiB

System Memory: 64 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT/16GB 
    A
    MD vendor: Gigabyte driver: amdgpu v: 5.11.19.21.30 bus ID: 03:00.0 
               chip ID: 1002:73bf 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati 
               unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
               resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz 
              OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (SIENNA_CICHLID DRM 3.42.0 5.4.0-104-generic 
               LLVM 12.0.1)     

v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.0-devel direct render: Yes

Screen Resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz, 2560x1440~60Hz

Video Settings: Ultra

Game mode: multiplayer client to dedicated server on Ubuntu Server 20.04

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? Off

Bug Description: The "E" key doesn't work.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:
    1) Launch A20
    2) Connect to game on server
    3) Attempt to play the game.

Actual result: (The player save files were removed from both the client and server, so this is an initial log-in.) When connecting to our dedicated server it worked at first, but after a while there was no "E" key. Just stopped working. I could walk around, punch grass to get fibers and craft and place the bedroll, but couldn't pick up a small stone or examine trash. Nothing happened.

I'm also an admin on the server, "dm" and "cm" worked when I first logged-in, but after a while in-game they didn't respond anymore.
    On a second log-in, it often doesn't recognise me as an admin.

Expected result: I expect to be able to interact normally with objects in the game and be able to use my full privileges.

Here's my logs:
    Client: https://pastebin.com/3pQr3nzA
    Server: https://pastebin.com/jiNKpcNC

I have created other reports about various issues I've had in the on-going process of trying to play A20 with my friends on our dedicated server. We've had a dedicated server since A18, and I've been able to play on it from either Linux or Windows. The info in the other issues may be pertinent to this one, and I can post those links if desired.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:45 AM, Par_A said:

You have SteamNetworking disabled, and your client fails to connect using LiteNetLib. This leaves no option for the client to connect. LiteNetLib failing is a port forwarding or firewall issue. Your base port is 26920 so you need 26920 TCP and 26920 through 269203 UDP forwarded in your router to your server's internal ip. Also those ports need to be allowed in your linux firewall. You could enable SteamNetworking to get around the port problem, but that will introduce an unpredictable ammount of lag. If you are trying to connect from the same LAN, you need to use the server's internal ip.

12 hours ago, Jugginator said:

The thing as a whole is due to network connection issues. The permanent loss of E and such is a weird, rare bug that nobody has been able to reproduce.

Thanks for the response, Jugginator.
    Yeah, it's weird 'cause I could connect to the game/server just fine. I could do things, interact, and it behaved normally -- for a while. Then the "E" key would simply stop working.

However, I'm very happy to announce the since 20.4, I have not experienced the problem. I'm able to game with my friends on our shared server just fine.

I don't know what was fixed, or even it just "happened" to get fixed in the process of something else, but it's working fine.

The past month has been great for me getting all manner of games running well on my Linux gaming box. :-)

Thanks for you help, everyone. This issue can be marked "resolved."

Par

3 hours ago, Par_A said:

Thanks for the response, Jugginator.
    Yeah, it's weird 'cause I could connect to the game/server just fine. I could do things, interact, and it behaved normally -- for a while. Then the "E" key would simply stop working.

However, I'm very happy to announce the since 20.4, I have not experienced the problem. I'm able to game with my friends on our shared server just fine.

I don't know what was fixed, or even it just "happened" to get fixed in the process of something else, but it's working fine.

The past month has been great for me getting all manner of games running well on my Linux gaming box. 🙂

Thanks for you help, everyone. This issue can be marked "resolved."

Par

Thanks for the information. Yeah, it's really weird when it happens; but I've only seen it from players that have a spotty connection so it's certainly networking related. When the player forever loses the ability to use E that's the nasty part since usually a client restart solves that. Something to keep an eye on and try to reproduce and get resolved.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, Jugginator said:

Thanks for the information. Yeah, it's really weird when it happens; but I've only seen it from players that have a spotty connection so it's certainly networking related. When the player forever loses the ability to use E that's the nasty part since usually a client restart solves that. Something to keep an eye on and try to reproduce and get resolved.

Hi. It has started happening again for me. Currently A 20.6 b9.

HOWEVER, it only happens when I'm running in Linux AND using a VPN. It runs fine in Windows with the VPN and it runs fine in Linux, but only with the VPN turned OFF. (I use ProtonVPN.)

Perhaps the VPN, or the handling of it elsewhere, is the "spotty connection."