• New 1.0 Controller settings should be reverted.

homie_tatanka
    • Version: V1.0 b309

Summary: 

The new controller settings (ds4) will lead to me quitting this game after thousands of hours. Its horrible. If its this way for ps5 i def wont be buying it.

Game Version: V1.0 b309

OS/Version: Windows

CPU Model: AMD Ryzen

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GTX 1060 4 GB

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Video Settings: High

Game mode: Not sure what this means

Did you wipe old saves? No

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? on

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) open inventory

Actual result: (description of what is occurring)

I use a controller (stop laughing lol) and the 1.0 controller settings are horrible. I used to be able to use my controller like a mouse on top of  my inventory. That allowed for quick grabs of items (think first aid on horde night). Now though, you have to cycle through all your inventory slots to get to the items. It soooooooo slow!

Also, when I select an item in my inventory, for some reason, I now have to hold down y (triangle on ds4) to see the options menu for doing things like scrapping an item or modifying an item. It has added a click when its not necessary.  You cant use a controller to pull an item out of your inventory and drop it. You have to use the "click x on item, hold down y on item which brings up the controls then select to drop. If I have a full inventory and need to move it to all separate boxes it is going to take forever cause you have to move each piece a square at a time.

Please please please change the settings for controller back. To be honest, my wife (2000+ hours and I (1000+ hours) both play on pc with controller and this new controller system is making us want to quit the game already. If this will be the ps5 controller experience, we definitely wont be buying the console version. Its too bad too cause we were really looking forward to that.

I posted the above in the forum and others also don't like the new controls. Others already saying they also wont buy the console version if this is how it works.

Expected result: revert controller settings back to how a controller worked with the last alpha

Link to Pastebin Output Log:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

Run the game launcher executable and check the Native Input module and see if that helps.

Just tried that mate and it ran for about 5 mins then stopped again, thanks anyway.

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

Just tried that mate and it ran for about 5 mins then stopped again, thanks anyway.

That's weird, I've got 3 different xbox controllers and a ps5 dualsense controller and they've all worked well.

Maybe try this? This is what I have set image.png.b03d79c0b13f351398a1ae55edd7dccd.png

If it's already disabled, try enabling it? What controller do you have? Wireless or wired? If wireless, try wired as a test and see. Also a log file would help, one that has you losing controller usage

The new controller system is horrible. Dropping items into boxes in an organized manner, changing weapons from inventory to belt, and even reading books is all more tedious. The old system was perfect. It's unplayable. I really wanted to have fun with the new version, but after seeing the new gameplay, I'm definitely going back to Alpha 21. You have ruined the game and the fun with this absurd modification.

15 hours ago, Jugginator said:

That's weird, I've got 3 different xbox controllers and a ps5 dualsense controller and they've all worked well.

Maybe try this? This is what I have set image.png.b03d79c0b13f351398a1ae55edd7dccd.png

If it's already disabled, try enabling it? What controller do you have? Wireless or wired? If wireless, try wired as a test and see. Also a log file would help, one that has you losing controller usage

Hi, Sending a screenshot of my controller set up. Plus i'm using a wired ps5 dual sense controller.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 130331.png

3 hours ago, Stokie said:

Hi, Sending a screenshot of my controller set up. Plus i'm using a wired ps5 dual sense controller.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 130331.png

Hm. Do you have any other peripherals connected? Such as other controllers, steering wheels, etc. There was one user that had a flight system setup and it was fighting for priority, unplugging it fixed that.

If not... perhaps a log file can help. I just tried the ps5 controller on my wifes computer to see if it worked there too and it did 😕

2 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Hm. Do you have any other peripherals connected? Such as other controllers, steering wheels, etc. There was one user that had a flight system setup and it was fighting for priority, unplugging it fixed that.

If not... perhaps a log file can help. I just tried the ps5 controller on my wifes computer to see if it worked there too and it did 😕

I had a steering wheel set up as well, so i disconnected the wheel and restarted my pc. It worked for 5mins then stopped 🤔. What log shall i check or send to you please?

I had a steering wheel set up as well, so i disconnected the wheel and restarted my pc. It worked for 5mins then stopped 🤔. Here is the log hope it's the right one.   https://pastebin.com/0Y7GGgPN

If they don’t fix the main issue with the controller making the game unplayable before porting to the PlayStation store the console launch is going to tank.

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

I had a steering wheel set up as well, so i disconnected the wheel and restarted my pc. It worked for 5mins then stopped 🤔. What log shall i check or send to you please?

I had a steering wheel set up as well, so i disconnected the wheel and restarted my pc. It worked for 5mins then stopped 🤔. Here is the log hope it's the right one.   https://pastebin.com/0Y7GGgPN

Client log please, but looking at that server log you seem to have some bad files on it. Perhaps try a new world on a different save after verifying your files on the server, also do this on your client. Do it a couple of times, sometimes Steam doesn't catch everything. Shooting in the dark here, that's strange.

But yeah a log file of your client in a session that had you lose usage of your controller please

I’m just holding out hope that on launch day some version of a cursor is back, quick swap is back or improved, and you don’t need to hold triangle

The cursor back is great but the Y + D pad combos are still slow and clunky.

Can I please make a request? I play on a ROG Ally. Can you please re-enable drag and drop with the touchscreen? It was so easy previously. Touch no longer clicks and the cursor disappears. I am gathering Steam deck users played the same way.

18 hours ago, darkodin said:

The cursor back is great but the Y + D pad combos are still slow and clunky.

Can I please make a request? I play on a ROG Ally. Can you please re-enable drag and drop with the touchscreen? It was so easy previously. Touch no longer clicks and the cursor disappears. I am gathering Steam deck users played the same way.

Now that we have a cursor again... :)  I have a sort of fix (it's almost better) for the D pad combos.  #1. Enable Steam controller input (Not sure if you MUST be in Big Picture for this to work).  #2. Edit controller layout --> D Pad.  #3.  Under the three or four direction ( Up, Right, Down) Add a command.

#4.  Set each new command to keyboard + 1,2,3.  Example:  D Pad up= Command/D Pad UP & Command/Num 1 (on keyboard) ...  Repeat.  (you can also add another command for "long hold" and add 4,5,6 as well.  #5.  MAKE SURE that once in game you unbind D Pad up, down and right (in game bindings, not steam) and rebind "light/flashlight" back to D Pad Left.  The Mrs. and I just played several hours being able to use the D Pad to access the first 6 on the toolbelt (quick tap and long hold) and are able to use our inventory because the Pun Fimps gave us our cursor back.  Alpha 22 is shaping up to be another flop.  Can't wait to see what else they have in store.  Maybe they will take away our legs in the next update.  Lt. Dan Edition Alpha 23.  (Extra $ for that version if on console)

Had to find my old log in info just to make sure I was adding my downvote for the new controller settings. Same culprits. Need that 'D-pad Hot bar', hate that 'hold Y to bring up actions' thing. Excited to try out 1.0 when the controller settings are reverted. 

4 hours ago, nickel5k said:

Had to find my old log in info just to make sure I was adding my downvote for the new controller settings. Same culprits. Need that 'D-pad Hot bar', hate that 'hold Y to bring up actions' thing. Excited to try out 1.0 when the controller settings are reverted. 

I'm going to check in a few months.

Guest Monkeymaham2

Posted

Being an avid player, making the update and coming into the game after playing the day before to relearn all of my controllers. 😭😭😭 also the fact I don’t have quick access to use my first 4 slots is disgustint feature to take away. Also why do I now have to use the top button to use my d-pad in inventory. 😤 the controller update is trash and needs to be reverted. I’m so upset. I was so excited about this well needed update to the GAME not the controller. I’m so upset. 😭😭😭 I’ve been playing since 2018. Why would you betray us like this? such a stab in the gut for your loyal players 

Agreed. Also what is up with immediately being attacked by multiple zombies and 5 dogs 5 minutes into the game no weapons? Also arrows, I have to load multiple times to just get the arrow to shoot with new controllers. This is betrayal. You’re right. 
    😩

16 minutes ago, Guest Monkeymaham2 said:

Being an avid player, making the update and coming into the game after playing the day before to relearn all of my controllers. 😭😭😭 also the fact I don’t have quick access to use my first 4 slots is disgustint feature to take away. Also why do I now have to use the top button to use my d-pad in inventory. 😤 the controller update is trash and needs to be reverted. I’m so upset. I was so excited about this well needed update to the GAME not the controller. I’m so upset. 😭😭😭 I’ve been playing since 2018. Why would you betray us like this? such a stab in the gut for your loyal players 

I personally prefer the previous controller UI far more than the current UI. I also mostly play mouse and keyboard, but I started out playing on the console version, and honestly I find it hard to play on controller now due to the fact the UI is significantly slower to navigate. Why is it the previous UI was discarded?

Any update on this?  FunPimps, you guys are gonna add a revert option in settings right?  Or a more comprehensive re-binding for controllers?  I absolutely can't play with the controller anymore, I've tried getting used to it but I just much prefer the controls we've had for years.

Are controller users any closer to an option to revert back to our old alpha settings for the controllers or to at least be able to allocate toolbar slots to our D pads?

at the time 1.0 was released i had 5,812 hours played on steam all using a controller, i now have 6,103 hours played so having played almost 300 hours on the new settings its kinda fair to say that i have gave it a reasonable period of time to try & get used to it.

i have to admit that for the most part the updated controller settings are not as bad as i initially felt. it took time but i had slowly gotten used to them to a degree. I have even managed to somehow get semi used to the stupid function that was added which is having to hold Y just to get the option to use a selected inventory item, so now while bleeding out i have to remember to press Y just to get the option to use the bandage.

Its stupid having to hold Y just to get that option, if it was like that before in the alphas that would be one thing but it wasnt like that before, all we had to do before was highlight an item & the options showed automatically to use, scrap or drop the item by pressing the D pad buttons.

Which leads me to the very useful (that's sarcasm by the way) removal of our hotkeys for the toolbar slots, it was so annoying when suddenly faced with an unexpected zombie that we were able to hit up, right or down on our D pad & instantly have our chosen weapon in our hands (sarcasm again there)  its so much more useful having to scroll through our hotbar (sarcasm).

Seriously though why remove the hotkeys? 

Thats the single biggest let down in the 1.0 release for me & im sure a lot of others,  were now just over 2 months after the 1.0 release & still waiting for our hot keys being restored.

I've bought this game 2 times for xbox once for myself & once for my nephew (im almost 50 years old) & 3 times for the pc once for myself & a copy for my nephew & daughter, this update 1.0 has just left me feeling abit like the fun pimps are saying thanks for all the support over the years, thanks for buying so many copies of our game now let me kick you in the nuts & go away. 

So can we please have an option for those of us that have bought & played on pc to either revert back to our old settings used in the alpha's or at the absolute least an option to allocate our first 3 toolbar slots as D pad up, right & down again. If theres a reason this cant be implemented for the console versions then it should only affect the consoles, we should not be put out just because something wont work on the console.

I have literally gone from playing multiple hours per day to loading the game up maybe once a week & checking the settings to see if an option has been added to allocate toolbar slots to my D pad then logging back out again, its actually been around 5 weeks since i have gone into a world & played.

Can you imagine the outrage if you had removed toolbar hotkeys for the keyboard players?

Haven't tried 1.0 since they messed up the controller settings, have they fixed it yet? (Specifically the d-pad hotkeys and the hold Y to bring up actions business.)

1 hour ago, Grenzenlos said:

Haven't tried 1.0 since they messed up the controller settings, have they fixed it yet? (Specifically the d-pad hotkeys and the hold Y to bring up actions business.)

Nope. Still trash. I think they're happy with it. I stopped playing. I play on handheld. Removed touch screen click too. Unplayable.

Guest Alpha 21 controls pls

Posted

Yes I would like it to be reverted back to alpha 21 settings.  I was an Xbox player since the game came to console and I recently got back into the game on alpha 21.  I play on an asus rog ally and everything was just like the Xbox controls.  I had no problem with building and I could switch to my weapons in a heartbeat so combat was great.  Now the game plays so slow and combat is harder because I can’t switch weapons fast enough.  The worst part was I lost the ability to drag and drop directly from the screen because it was a touch screen.  So it actually played better than a controller.   I’ve been playing other zombie survival games more since it’s just too hard to play now.

I can’t even make it 1 day b4 dying.  I can’t even imagine how day 21 with irradiated zombies and ferals and tier 4s are if u have to press 3 to 5 extra button presses to do what normally would take 1 or 2.  They took 1 step forward and 3 steps back.  The game just isn’t fun anymore.  But at least I get a chance to play surrounded, mist, no one survived and other imbue survival games now?!?

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.