• "Loading Block Textures..." is not proceeding ahead

Spicy
    • Version: V1 b309

Summary: Game gets stuck on the loading screen for "Loading Block Textures...". Other functions such as the console still operate but the game appears to not be doing anything. Unlike the previous screen where the Loading of particles did use more CPU usage (~28%), where then it gets reduced to only 2-3% during the loading of the block textures.

Game Version: V1.0 b309

OS/Version: Windows 7 64bit

CPU Model: Intel i7-4770

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia GTX 1060 6 GB 

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Video Settings: Full Screen

Game mode: Loading Screen

Did you wipe old saves? No

Did you start a new game? N/A

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? Off

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1)Launch game with EAC turned off

2)Loads Particles

3)Begins to load Block Textures but stays on that screen forever, game is still responding and I can still type commands in the console.

Actual result: Game seems to be permanently stuck doing nothing. It's barely using any memory (less then 1GB) and only 2-3% CPU usage. 

https://imgur.com/a/fk0BPpm (loading screen with and without console)

Expected result: Proceed to the main menu

Link to Pastebin Output Log:

https://pastebin.com/PKxTnaup

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Windows 7 is no longer supported, and your GPU driver is extremely outdated. (Most likely because of the obsolete OS.)

The error in the log seems to indicate a controller/mapping issue, but that could just be a red herring created by running the client on an unsupported system.

13 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Windows 7 is no longer supported, and your GPU driver is extremely outdated. (Most likely because of the obsolete OS.)

The error in the log seems to indicate a controller/mapping issue, but that could just be a red herring created by running the client on an unsupported system.

Win7 support is still declared by the developers on the steam page.
    I have exactly the same problem. For the sake of experiment, i changed the code by removing the controller calls and as a result the game started. The current error is related to incorrect controller support and not to the operating system. The driver version also does not matter in a particular situation.

Experienced modders will probably be able to release a patch to solve this problem, but something tells me that the developers should do it themselves. Just fix the problem, it is done quite easily, and do not look for excuses.

I have same issue i was about to make a report but i see there are two already. Wanted to try out 1.0 but it is getting stuck on "Loading block textures" aswell as i get same exact Controller related errors.

I'm on Windows 11

Tried plugging and unplugging the controller that didn't solve it either.

1 hour ago, n2n1 said:

Win7 support is still declared by the developers on the steam page.
    I have exactly the same problem. For the sake of experiment, i changed the code by removing the controller calls and as a result the game started. The current error is related to incorrect controller support and not to the operating system. The driver version also does not matter in a particular situation.

Experienced modders will probably be able to release a patch to solve this problem, but something tells me that the developers should do it themselves. Just fix the problem, it is done quite easily, and do not look for excuses.

That would be because the Stable version active on Steam is still Alpha 21.2. As of V1.0 Windows 7 is not supported. It hasn't been supported for almost six months already by Steam, so that should tell you something.

8 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

That would be because the Stable version active on Steam is still Alpha 21.2. As of V1.0 Windows 7 is not supported. It hasn't been supported for almost six months already by Steam, so that should tell you something.

So, in the end, you want to say that the code related to "joystick" servicing works fine? :classic_rolleyes:

6 hours ago, n2n1 said:

Here is a corrected dll-file for v1.0 exp (b312) that people with similar problems can use temporarily.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ahoevNEZ1HlQ9KzFBDgUnDk5eNZ7zYhw/view?usp=sharing
    (I am not sure about full functionality - because i did not conduct long-term tests. Use at your own risk).

Works well, even on the version b312.

Thank you very much.

So far I've made it all the way into the world and I'm playing as normally right now.

Again, I appreciate it

7 hours ago, n2n1 said:

Here is a corrected dll-file for v1.0 exp (b312) that people with similar problems can use temporarily.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ahoevNEZ1HlQ9KzFBDgUnDk5eNZ7zYhw/view?usp=sharing
    (I am not sure about full functionality - because i did not conduct long-term tests. Use at your own risk).

Where did you get that fix from or if you did it yourself how did you do it?

Sorry i'm extremely paranoid about using unknown .dll files.

This is my fix, i am a modder (you can see what kind of mod i am making in my profile), i often make such edits in dll-files.
    Dll-files are not as dangerous as antivirus manufacturers tell you - no one will individually engage in malicious activity. The maximum danger that a file being modified like this carries is disappointment from a sudden error if you start playing.
    By the way, i am not sure that everything works as it should - i made this file in order to simply launch the game and begin adapting my mod. Use this file simply to see what's new in v1.0... while some are busy discriminating operating systems based on age :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, n2n1 said:

This is my fix, i am a modder (you can see what kind of mod i am making in my profile), i often make such edits in dll-files.
    Dll-files are not as dangerous as antivirus manufacturers tell you - no one will individually engage in malicious activity. The maximum danger that a file being modified like this carries is disappointment from a sudden error if you start playing.
    By the way, i am not sure that everything works as it should - i made this file in order to simply launch the game and begin adapting my mod. Use this file simply to see what's new in v1.0... while some are busy discriminating operating systems based on age :classic_smile:

Okay but you still didn't answer what did you actually do to make it work?

What was actually preventing the game to launch to menu past the "Loading Block Textures" and how did your ".dll" unstuck it?

This kind of inforamtion could be vital too if it's a simple fix that Fun Pimps could pull off themselves if they wanted to.

So they don't have any excuses to blame it on the system anymore.

Or at something on user's end.

The fact that this is an edge case.

With mostly affecting Win 7 users and some small amount who are on Win 11.

Worries me greatly that it may not be fixed in timely manner or at all.

1 hour ago, Lythael said:

What was actually preventing the game to launch to menu past the "Loading Block Textures" and how did your ".dll" unstuck it?

This kind of inforamtion could be vital too if it's a simple fix that Fun Pimps could pull off themselves if they wanted to.

So they don't have any excuses to blame it on the system anymore.

Or at something on user's end.

The fact that this is an edge case.

With mostly affecting Win 7 users and some small amount who are on Win 11.

Worries me greatly that it may not be fixed in timely manner or at all.

It is mentioned above, there's something with the controller calls:

On 7/2/2024 at 5:13 AM, n2n1 said:

i changed the code by removing the controller calls and as a result the game started. The current error is related to incorrect controller support and not to the operating system.

I did look through the code briefly to look for anything that stood out wildly, saw nothing and decided to try it. The file is only slightly smaller then the original file so it made sense to me since it's removed lines of code I'm assuming is what the change was. 

All I know is the game is running without doing anything else but putting that file in.

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

That may be, but malicious groups can easily act like they were "individuals".

I'll tell you more - I'm Russian, and I definitely plan to vote online when electing the US president :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, Lythael said:

Yes, i just removed the joystick effect calls and now they just don't work. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I cleaned up the code 100%, so there are quite possible cases of console opening.

in fact, it doesn't matter what reason prevents the original code from working on Win7.
    What's important is that only one bug separates Win7 and Win11 users from the full functionality of the game.
    Only one bug, Carl...