How do you use the new Export Prefab?

PurgatoryWolf

A17 added the option to Export Prefab.

I am an admin on a MP server with RWG.

When I press ESC I can see "Export Prefab" but it's greyed out.

I, nor the server owner, can figure out how to make this work. He cannot find any permissions pertaining to this feature to give to me.

I have been working in Debug Mode and Creative Mode, and we simply can't figure this out.

Someone earlier told me:

You have to enable debug mode (console command DM, requires permissions if you are on a server), create a selection that covers what you want to export and then click the button. If you're a client on a server though note that this will be saved on the server, not your PC.

As for how to create / modify a selection: I'd recommend toying with the Prefab Editor, that one has a help on how you create/modify/remove selections.

I went into the Editor, and it does not have this feature to try out. I cannot find any instructions on how to utilize this feature at all. :(

----

Edit: I even made a Single Player game, and the Export Prefab was still greyed out. Is this feature not turned on yet?

There's a hotkey to let you select blocks. I forget the default, go to your keyboard shortcuts in game to find it out. Once you can select/deselect blocks and are in `dm` debug mode, you can select one block to start a selection, and click opposite side block to end selection, then when you press escape, Export Prefab will be able to be pressed

Sharing what I learned...

Using the In-Game Export Prefab feature:

- Be in Debug Mode -

*Stand at one corner and press the Z key to place your first marker. (Pressing Backspace will remove markers)

*Move to the opposite corner and press the Z key again to place your second marker. (you can also hold the key and drag it around to change sizing)

*Use the "drop" key (which is whatever key you have assigned to drop items, G by default), to adjust your positioning

*Shift + Drop Key will allow you to extend your placement

*Press Esc then Tap Export Prefab, name it, and save.

then you can load it into the prefab editor and work on it some more, and just click SAVE when you want to save it.

To import into a live game: -- Note this only seems to work in SP, Dedicated MP servers don't seem to have the option.

Make sure you have all 5 files in the proper places. Test this out on a solo game till you get the hang of it.

When you make a prefab in the editor it will go to this folder (at least for me): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs

You will need to copy all 5 files to the server files. (NIM file, INS file, JPG file, XML file, and TTS file)

Load into your game:

-Be in Debug Mode (DM)-

*Locate where you would like to place your prefab.

*Press Z to place a selector block, this block will be the Southwest corner of your prefab

*Press K to open Dynamic Menu

*Select Dynamic Prefab

*Select your Prefab from the list

*Select Load into Prefab (This will create an empty yellow box the size of your prefab, this will show you the area it will consume on placement, so you can make sure that you want to place it there. If you do not like the placement of the box, select Delete Prefab, and try again. Backspace will remove the blue selector block)

*Once you have a location you like, select Apply BB Position - WARNING: this will permanently displace the terrain. Even if you don't place it after all.

*If there is decorations (trees and such) that are still there after you place your prefab, select Repl. Active Prefab. (This will erase your prefab and any decor in the way) then use Apply BB Position again.

*Log out, when you log back in, your prefab will be placed, permanently. (I do not know how to turn off the yellow/green box without logging out)

------

there doesnt seem to be a Import Console command.

well, it does place, every prefab i place is unstable and falls apart, doesn't matter what prefab, mine, vanilla, placing cant just "happen" , im assuming the prefab making is for adding poi, and not recovering a base from server to server. during one of my tests, it was drawing the outline way up in the sky, along with the yellow box on the ground, im assuming it has something to do with forcing the offset to ground, or where i actually place it.

who knows... 20181213233244_1.thumb.jpg.f7419627d2ccf4f7895f1a56dd2a9e46.jpg

I have the same issue with importing a prefab base. Everything appears to work great until I step onto my base, then it crumbles.

Being able to export/import a base would be fabulous especially during the A17 experimental build phase as builds are being released more and more frequently. As much as I am enjoying the game, each time I have to rebuild a base gets a little staler.

Building seems pretty stable to me. I would like to spend more time exploring/questing.

Is there anything I can do to make sure prefabs don't implode after import? Some nuance of the export/import process I am missing, perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem at first too, then I realized when I was loading the prefab in, it wasn't actually sitting on the ground, which causes it to fall down. Open the prefab editor and load your building in, then look in the tools and find "show ground" check mark that to see where your ground level is, and you can move it up or down accordingly to make sure your building will be ON the ground, and then play test it to make sure.

Also keep in mind, unless you turn it off, the editor will count "air" blocks as blocks, so if you have anything built BELOW ground level, when you load it into play test, everything from ground level to the bottom of what ever you had underground will have a large gap unless you fill in with ground before hand. To understand what I mean, load in a prefan that has a basement (like the bomb shelters) and you'll see it loads in as a big square of rock with the building inside it. If you don't do this, then it loads in with the air blocks, and everything will collapse.

hope this makes sense?

short of it is: always make sure to test in the prefab editor, and make sure everything is supported properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I've followed this guide, watched videos on youtube, and tried with ever setting toggled on or off. And still my prefabs collapse everytime...

UPDATE: The only thing I hadn't tried, was to recalculate stability. I followed the guide, but once I loaded in the Prefab into Navezgane, i quickly recalculated stability, quit the game, then loaded the game. So far, my house hasn't collapsed.

What files / folders should I backup before trying this out? I edited the highway bridge over Ansel Adams river in Navezgane and got the placement off by a few blocks. It does not seem to be the save game files.

EDIT: I have just started using the Mod Launcher with an a17.1 version of Darkness Falls. I just a 'save' folder in the Mod Launcher's c:\7D2D folder.

- Oops, yeah, I had the wrong save folder, or I was not aware of the new save folder that the Mod Launcher uses. It IS the save file folder you would reload in order to revert to a previous state.

• 10 months later...
I've followed this guide, watched videos on youtube, and tried with ever setting toggled on or off. And still my prefabs collapse everytime...

UPDATE: The only thing I hadn't tried, was to recalculate stability. I followed the guide, but once I loaded in the Prefab into Navezgane, i quickly recalculated stability, quit the game, then loaded the game. So far, my house hasn't collapsed.

I followed all steps, looks like it imports, clicked recalculate stability, but when i load back into game, the prefab is missing.

Archived