Why does my game crash if I have too many lights and/or torches placed?

LunaBronyPony

I believe if I have over 100 of any light source (torches, trash can lights, etc) in a single area the game crashes. But what am I suppose to do? The game is so terribly dark even with lights that it makes it impossible to see anything. The only way, however, that I can prevent the game crashing is if I wear a mining helmet EVERYWHERE that I go, and even then I am barely able to see where I am going. What also makes the game's lighting system annoying is the fact that the trash can lights are so god awfully bright that it hurts my eyes to even look at the screen and it white's everything out. I just want light to see where I'm going for Pete's sake. Even in supermarket stores with lights that are on hanging from the ceiling I can barely see anything. I can understand it being a post-apocalyptic place, but I don't think a light should be that dim. Again, I had to wear a mining helmet in those situations (as with everywhere that I go in that game). I think if the lighting would be handled then I think I wouldn't have a very huge problem with the game. Even more so, however, I would like the crashing issue to be fixed as I find that really annoying.

Thank you.

You might want to try altering your gamma setting. I suspect that its turned up all the way. Try adjusting it to round the middle of the scale then reload your game and see if it helps. You can then fine turn it to what works for you.

The lights don't spread a lot of light regardless, but with your gamma set right you shouldn't need so many and it should help with the crashing. Might also be worth clearing your cache too.

Hi LunaBronyPony,

Sorry for the delay in getting to your post. As Damselx1 suggested above you may wish to try changing the Gamma in the game settings to help with visibility.

From tests it appears that anything over 30 light sources in an area can cause a build up in lag on the console and result in a crash. This is likely partially due to the consoles limitations when it comes to processing power. When the lights were first introduced it was a lot less needed for a crash, but the radius of the light casting was reduced to prevent over lapping of cast light which is likely part of the problem.

Hopefully the upgrade to Unity 2017 that the team are currently working on will help when it comes to things like this. You lighting experiences do sound very extreme, if you like you can post screen grabs of what you are describing and I can ask the team to double check if it's within expected limits. The lighting should currently match A15 on PC after the team adjusted it when it was too dark on the initial lighting upgrade.

Clare

Hi LunaBronyPony,

Sorry for the delay in getting to your post. As Damselx1 suggested above you may wish to try changing the Gamma in the game settings to help with visibility.

From tests it appears that anything over 30 light sources in an area can cause a build up in lag on the console and result in a crash. This is likely partially due to the consoles limitations when it comes to processing power. When the lights were first introduced it was a lot less needed for a crash, but the radius of the light casting was reduced to prevent over lapping of cast light which is likely part of the problem.

Hopefully the upgrade to Unity 2017 that the team are currently working on will help when it comes to things like this. You lighting experiences do sound very extreme, if you like you can post screen grabs of what you are describing and I can ask the team to double check if it's within expected limits. The lighting should currently match A15 on PC after the team adjusted it when it was too dark on the initial lighting upgrade.

Clare

Thank you for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that I am using PS4. I just went ahead and bought the PC version and everything is fixed right away. I'm not going back to the console version ever. The PC version is better.

Archived