Simple (?) Building Tweak - Building tool material limit

Genosis

A thought I had during my recent castle build in reinforced flagstone; I often have a couple tasks on the go at once, loading various extra materials in my bag. Reinforce outer flagstone walls, upgrade bars and inner supports to reinforced concrete, wire up inner lights, upgrade spikes, etc. While I am doing this, I often encounter a problem.

As I upgrade, I sometimes go "too far" and upgrade a block beyond my intended goal. Encasing a flagstone wall into concrete, upgrading a floor to forged steel when trying to upgrade spikes, etc. Sure, I could tear it down, or use paint (if you have the appropriate book at the time) to cover up my click-fest mistake, or be a bit more cautious in what material I am carrying, but I think a more convenient solution may be warranted.

When using a construction tool (Stone Axe, Wrench, Claw Hammer, Nail Gun), enable a radial menu when holding "R"/reload similar to the paint menu, alternative ammo in guns and bows, etc, to set the "material limit" while upgrading. For example, running around and open the menu and see Repair-Only, Wood, Iron, Concrete, Steel, Stainless Steel (I believe thats the name, from the upgrade kits at the traders). That way, you can set the limit and upgrade all your spikes to Steel without accidentally mousing over the floor, or set it to "Repair Only" and run around repairing cracks in your nice wood interior walls without accidentally slapping some iron on top of it.

I would consider this a "polish feature", but one I would appreciate all the same.

Good work so far guys, looking forward to a17 and beyond.

A thought I had during my recent castle build in reinforced flagstone; I often have a couple tasks on the go at once, loading various extra materials in my bag. Reinforce outer flagstone walls, upgrade bars and inner supports to reinforced concrete, wire up inner lights, upgrade spikes, etc. While I am doing this, I often encounter a problem.

As I upgrade, I sometimes go "too far" and upgrade a block beyond my intended goal. Encasing a flagstone wall into concrete, upgrading a floor to forged steel when trying to upgrade spikes, etc. Sure, I could tear it down, or use paint (if you have the appropriate book at the time) to cover up my click-fest mistake, or be a bit more cautious in what material I am carrying, but I think a more convenient solution may be warranted.

When using a construction tool (Stone Axe, Wrench, Claw Hammer, Nail Gun), enable a radial menu when holding "R"/reload similar to the paint menu, alternative ammo in guns and bows, etc, to set the "material limit" while upgrading. For example, running around and open the menu and see Repair-Only, Wood, Iron, Concrete, Steel, Stainless Steel (I believe thats the name, from the upgrade kits at the traders). That way, you can set the limit and upgrade all your spikes to Steel without accidentally mousing over the floor, or set it to "Repair Only" and run around repairing cracks in your nice wood interior walls without accidentally slapping some iron on top of it.

I would consider this a "polish feature", but one I would appreciate all the same.

Good work so far guys, looking forward to a17 and beyond.

LOL This. If I had a dime for every time I accidentally "over-upgraded" I'd be pretty rich.

Archived