Single player split screen over dense fog, continuous fog.

Wysh

I have recently returned to a very much improved 7d2d having not played in some time, I really must say the difference is unbelievable and while I loved the game before these new updates, the game on console for me now is endless and anything else the amazing devs manage to add will just be bonus after bonus. So firstly, thank you for all the amazing work; however I play with my partner and we both enjoy the game playing split screen. On our big television 46", whenever my partner joins the game instantly a massive fog sets in, so much so I can hardly see the end of my spiked club it's that dense, and it never goes away, we have to close the entire application to stop the bug for a small amount of time, now I'm not sure why but my smaller tv, that we played using the other night (32") was actually a lot better, I mean the fog stayed but it was bareable, I'm not sure why this is happening and it is adding a massive immersion breaking mechanic to the game, not to mention not being able to take in that countryside, so in summary if this could be looked into and fixed we'd be most grateful. As I mentioned, the real problem is on the bigger screen so maybe some more support is needed there but I don't know, I certainly notice the difference when switching between the two tv's. It's also worth noting that when my partner comes anywhere near me in the map we sometimes have block periods of time 1-3 hours (real time) of very strange weather behaviour, as soon as she comes near me it will start snowing in game (obviously) and as soon as she moves away it stops, but comes back if she comes near me. Again no idea what's going on its not this biggest hinderance in the world but would be amazing to have fixed so thank you for any responses in advance if any! :-) PS4

Hi Wysh,

I'm glad you are enjoying the additions and changes to the game. I'm sorry you are having issues with the fog in the game. I have heard of other players mentioning this before, but I'll chase it up with the team.

Do you have distant terrain turned on when your partner joins? If you turn distant terrain off before they join, is the fog less severe?

Distant terrain is not avail in Splitscreen, so the shift by be covering up that transition. However I would agree it sounds like it is dense. Would there be a difference in gamma or brightness settings between the two tvs that could be having an effect also?

I had heard of this snowing issue in multiplayer also, but it was a good while ago, I will chase this up with the team also to see if they had found a workaround if a fix is not yet issued. Can you confirm for me that you're playing on version 1.18 of the game?

If possible screen shots of single vs multiplayer, or footage of your partner joining the game and travelling near you would be very useful.

Thank you,

Clare

Thanks so much for getting back to me Clare appreciate it!

I can confirm that for the past three weeks of playtime the game has been running on v1.18.

I have in fact had my partner leave the game and then returned to the main menu to edit the gamma level and switch distant terrain off and seeing if this made a difference, we felt it was worse the lower the gamma, however without distant terrain being enabled it did almost seem like there was less of a fog layer although this didn't last very long and the fog soon set back in just as potent. The difference between switching televisions is considerable and it is the smaller older tv that out performs the newer bigger one. I have checked both brightness settings on both of them and they're both set to their defaults. In my own words it does appear that the smaller tv struggles less to render the surrounding area but other than noticing this I can't give any more that that unfortunately. It has happened before where when we've had very thick fog for way more time than we were supposed to (our days are set to last one hour real time but fog will stay for over a week in game) I have gone into my inventory and eaten something (tin of pears it was) and immediately after the eating animation the entire weather system reset to a clear sunny day all fog 'snapped' away from the screen, again it returned after a short amount of time.

Regarding the crazy weather, I'm not sure if it does snow in the desert or any other biomes other than snow or not but my prison fortress is in forest and when my partner joins and is present near me it can and often does just start snowing, and it will happen in any biome, so even in the desert. But like I mentioned will stop when she moves a distance away (not measured exactly but she'll travel away on a minibike). I will begin to collect some video footage and take some screenshots, I only play local so normally I don't even see the difference between multiplayer and single player but I'll endeavour to collect this information for you and will post back with it when I have collected it. (May take some time sorry)

Again thank you very much for your time, much appreciated!

Thanks so much for getting back to me Clare appreciate it!

I can confirm that for the past three weeks of playtime the game has been running on v1.18.

I have in fact had my partner leave the game and then returned to the main menu to edit the gamma level and switch distant terrain off and seeing if this made a difference, we felt it was worse the lower the gamma, however without distant terrain being enabled it did almost seem like there was less of a fog layer although this didn't last very long and the fog soon set back in just as potent. The difference between switching televisions is considerable and it is the smaller older tv that out performs the newer bigger one. I have checked both brightness settings on both of them and they're both set to their defaults. In my own words it does appear that the smaller tv struggles less to render the surrounding area but other than noticing this I can't give any more that that unfortunately. It has happened before where when we've had very thick fog for way more time than we were supposed to (our days are set to last one hour real time but fog will stay for over a week in game) I have gone into my inventory and eaten something (tin of pears it was) and immediately after the eating animation the entire weather system reset to a clear sunny day all fog 'snapped' away from the screen, again it returned after a short amount of time.

Regarding the crazy weather, I'm not sure if it does snow in the desert or any other biomes other than snow or not but my prison fortress is in Forrest and when my partner joins and is present near me it can and often does just start snowing, and it will happen in any biome, so even in the desert. But like I mentioned will stop when she moves a distance away (not measured exactly but she'll travel away on a minibike). I will begin to collect some video footage and take some screenshots, I only play local so normally I don't even see the difference between multiplayer and single player but I'll endeavour to collect this information for you and will post back with it when I have collected it. (May take some time sorry)

Again thank you very much for your time, much appreciated!

I have had it snow in the firest biome on our multi player game ( the one without the red flowers) so pine I guess. Random gen map.

I haven’t had the fog issue per se but have seen some when the precipitation levels get high (like about 30). When precipitation levels get high they don’t seem to clear easily. That said I’ve seen a few people streaming on twitch with the nav map and the fog levels were crazy. It was like the sun never shined. They were on ps4 and I’m fairly sure the most recent patch.

I have had it snow in the firest biome on our multi player game ( the one without the red flowers) so pine I guess. Random gen map.

I haven’t had the fog issue per se but have seen some when the precipitation levels get high (like about 30). When precipitation levels get high they don’t seem to clear easily. That said I’ve seen a few people streaming on twitch with the nav map and the fog levels were crazy. It was like the sun never shined. They were on ps4 and I’m fairly sure the most recent patch.

That's exactly how to describe it "like the sun never shined" when I've looked for the sun it's a grey sphere in the sky with a slight orange glint going around it, I must admit also that we don't seem to be experiencing weird stop start weather as much now, well since posting, bitter sweet.

Hi Wysh,

Thank you for elaborating on your weather issue. The fact that it lasts so long but can vanish for a time after an animation is interesting.

It can snow in all biomes except the desert if I remember correctly, so seeing snow in forests etc is not unusual, however only seeing snow when your partner is near is.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how I can help with the tv issue, as it could be how the TVs are translating the signal from the PS4, do any other games show significant differences between the two? I shall ask the team if they've ever had the chance to notice change over screens as well.

I understand it can take some time to gather footage so please do not worry, I will keep an eye out for when you update the thread. (Some players find it easiest to use Youtube and an image hosting site like Imgur when sharing as the forums only allows small files uploaded)

Thank you for all your info and for taking the time to get some examples for myself and the team!

Clare

• 2 weeks later...

I play splitscreen 7dtd with my wife. When we start playing, everything is fine. Within a day or two in game, the fog sets in, and never goes away. It gets foggier and foggier, until the game eventually crashes. It takes approximately 9 in-game days to crash, so we don't often see it get to that point. Every few in-game days we are forced to shut the PS4 right down and reboot, or we'll never be able to see anything. We have played many different files, with many different settings, and the result is always the same. This does not happen when I play single player. A fix would be very much appreciated!

Hi MattyVee,

Thank you for reporting your account, I am sorry to hear you are also having issues with this. Would it be possible to get a video showing the early stages and then again how bad it can get for you so I can show the team the contrast and what they're looking for?

Clare

Archived