Cheating death...

Lockspur

Airdrop landed just off the road in the wastelands. I've never gone through it on foot since the mine update. Slowly made my way to it, crouched, studying the ground. Then BOOM! Surprised the hell out of me. I hit the Xbox button just after it happened and force quit the game. Deleted my local saves, and relaunched.

While it was loading environment, it gave me the death sting. Game loaded and it asked me where I wanted to spawn...bed or nearby. I said on my bed.

I spawned in front of my backpack where I died. No decrease in wellness or stamina.

(phew)

Needless to say, that airdrop is staying there.

And are these mines invisible? WTF?? I didn't see anything on the surface. I ended up firing the blunderbuss into the ground repeatedly along the path I was walking, and occasionally the ground would pop up into a pyramid. I assume that was a mine.

Some of the mines are quite small and/or blend in with the ground. They can also clip into the ground a bit. Sounds like you got away with it this time.

I keep forgetting about the landmines - I chased a deer into the wasteland, was harvesting it when I heard a zombie. Looked up to see one heading my way, also saw the landmine, which the zombie skirted around, despite my attempts to get it to crawl over it. Killed the zombie, and a dog that turned up. Turned round to head back and realised there were loads of mines between me and the safety of the forest. Needless to say I moved very slowly to get out of there in one piece - couldn't believe I hadn't hit one on the way in (I was running without looking where I was going, as per usual).

wandering the wastelands is risky business in the best of times, but if you know what to look for, you can profit hugely, and maybe even set some nasty traps for the Zeds (or even other players). 9 times out of 10, my wife can charge through the wastelands and never set off a mine, but 7 times out of 10, i will find one the hard way, even if i follow her exact path.

i have explored wastelands extensively and have made some interesting discoveries, and come up with a theory. the theory is that the mines in the wastelands represent unexploded ordanance from the conflict. the discoveries are as follows: 1) the active mines are always candy tin mines. these are extremely hard to spot and are even harder to hit with arrows and bullets. i have the best luck disarming with the sniper rifle. 2) the wasteland holds massive quantities of hub caps and a good number of air filters. these often just look like a part of the destroyed stone they are laying on, but can be harvested with a pickaxe.

you can mark the location of an active mine you have discovered by placing sone object near it. i like to set wood frames around and create a path for the zeds to take that will force them to cross the mine.

as for the ground spiking up when shot with a blunderbuss, that just means you did enough damage to that block that you nearly destroyed it. the ground in that area was most likely quite uneven. if that had been a mine, it would have made a small crater. i would almost be willing to bet you were shooting at a hub cap not realizing that it wasn't an armed mine.......................yet.

I was coming back from the trader and came across this the hard way, first time its ever happened to me and i am on day 63. Ran over the mine on my minibike. Went back to get the minibike and ran over another one 10 feet away. Super annoying. The idea is really cool., but maybe they should space them out a little more to give people a chance to breathe in between booms

But that's the thing...I went through the wasteland. Flat ground. No visible objects on the ground...just flat...and boom.

Sometimes the ground is higher than a set block, like the streets in the cities. I assume that this elevated ground covers and hides the mines, they are burried in the ground.

For the candymines: every mine i disarmed successfully was a candymine and there are plenty in the wasteland. Nervertheless i was blown to pieces as i harvested a hubcap serveral times. I'm not sure if there are only candymines and i stepped on one of them as i was harvesting or if some of the hubcaps have a special surprise?

Sometimes the ground is higher than a set block, like the streets in the cities. I assume that this elevated ground covers and hides the mines, they are burried in the ground.

For the candymines: every mine i disarmed successfully was a candymine and there are plenty in the wasteland. Nervertheless i was blown to pieces as i harvested a hubcap serveral times. I'm not sure if there are only candymines and i stepped on one of them as i was harvesting or if some of the hubcaps have a special surprise?

wow, bad luck that. i have harvested lots of hub caps and never had one blow on me. but that just be my kind of luck. lul me into overconfidence to get me when i am not looking.

the candy tins are the most dangerous for me due to their small size and color. i have lost a great deal of my vision over the past fuw years, and even zoomed in, i can miss one right in plain sight. by the way, that is how i search for mines. zoom in and search the area right in front of me and slowly walk. this can be very dangerous because sometimes i get all fumble fingered and can't get out of zoom.

Archived