Can zombies spawn on, or under, water blocks?

Pekiti

As the title says, I want to know if the zombies can spawn on top of water blocks, or underwater. I found a tiny island, small enough to completely cover with man made blocks and build a nice little base for myself. If they can't spawn on the water, or in it, I think that only Horde Nights would be a problem (since distance doesn't appear to matter for those spawns, and they'd probably just come from the nearest mainland shore to get me).

I have seen them spawn under water. Not entirely sure what you mean by "on top of" though. Although it would be neat to mod a Z to spawn/walk on top of water and give it a specific skin.

One of my groups did this in a15. It was just a horde base though, so I can't say how it fared when they weren't fighting a horde.

By 'on top of' I meant just that, can they suddenly appear (poof) above the surface of a water block, then fall down into it.

However, if they can do it underwater, then I suppose the point is moot. They'll just appear underwater on the slopes of my island, then march up onto the land or dig straight into the sides of it to get to me if I'm underground there. :(

Archived