Block question

Walterstj

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23868[/ATTACH]

I am trying to complete this platform... The block info says 320/20... From what I have read, that means a 16 block span...I am trying to fill the inside to make it a platform, it just falls apart. the first time I was standing on it, I thought maybe my weight was causing it to fall, the second time from underneath, it still collapsed. Am I understanding the math wrong, or does the outside need to be a full wall supported by the ground all the way around? TY

Always start with the foundation and work your way up. I use wood frames to measure and also as a temporary staircase to reach high places. In terms of the math, just divide the max load by the mass. That gives you the exact number of blocks that can connect to itself unsupported. But if that doesn't work I would suggest using ramps and supporting beams, then destroy them once it's all in place. It could be a glitch but it's worth looking into. If you have xbox add me and I can look at it if nothing works for you. My gamertag is GORY HUMOR. Good luck

I looked at the metal trussing block info and did the math... It says 320/20, which should be 16... In a straight line, you can put a column, 16 blocks out, another column, and continue 16 blocks... You cannot however make a 16x16 square and fill the square without some support in the middle... I've done it many different ways and finally had to split the difference and add columns every 8 blocks on the inside, where I was trying to fill the 16x16 square... Sucks, I had something totally different in mind but I now have the platform I was going for originally, so it all worked out... I was just looking for a better answer so I know next time what I am missing...

That's why I suggested the ramps on the columns. If I'm not mistaking you also have to consider the height and foundation. In the past I've put ramps at the base of tall columns and ramps in the corners underneath to support it then destroy them once I build the walls. But your math is right it's just the size of the column and height of the column that comes into factor. In fact how many blocks high is the column?

Hi Walterstj,

You may find this article usefull - https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?20701

Height of the load bearing block and the blocks in the foundation also play a role. Blocks in the center would be pulling more so on edges that do not have a supporting pillar at all which could be a factor in what's happening here. I do not believe support works well diagonally across blocks. you may find one pillar in the center of the structure is enough, but if you plan to build up at all you would need a good deal more support on the base.

Clare

I went back and watched the YouTube structural integrity video and went over the mass areas again... After doing some more math, and walking out the area with removable wood frames, I have placed all the necessary metal trussing blocks and the platform is complete... The goal was to have everything below to be as wide open as possible, but the platform is the important part, not what's underneath... TY all for your suggestions and info

Archived