Console Command: Reveal Map

itosaithwebb

I would like to see a command in the console prompt that allows us to remove the fog of war away from the map we are on. The reveal would last until we move.

This would allow hosts for a server to know they have good seed for their players.

This would allow all of testers/players to double check if a seed is good or one we want to play in.

This would be a good standby until the Create World option becomes a reality.

Thoughts?

Given that each map chunk isn't generated (for Random Gen at least) until a player forces the server to generate it, and a Random Gen map would be as much as a hundred of gigabytes in size, I'm not sure how well most online servers would take to an admin issuing this command.

You would need to have the server pre-generate the entire map, or issuing "dm / reveal map" would be about as effective as issuing "dm / shutdown".

Given that each map chunk isn't generated (for Random Gen at least) until a player forces the server to generate it, and a Random Gen map would be as much as a hundred of gigabytes in size, I'm not sure how well most online servers would take to an admin issuing this command.

You would need to have the server pre-generate the entire map, or issuing "dm / reveal map" would be about as effective as issuing "dm / shutdown".

From what I have been reading I don't think that is the case. The name that you give any map is the seed. The map is actually all laid out. Areas load when you enter them for the sake of memory and they unload when you leave an area, but it is recorded what was done in it. What I am suggesting is that it just shows the seed layout.

From what I have been reading I don't think that is the case. The name that you give any map is the seed. The map is actually all laid out. Areas load when you enter them for the sake of memory and they unload when you leave an area, but it is recorded what was done in it. What I am suggesting is that it just shows the seed layout.

The very basic biome loudout is present, it's how Alloc is able to generate seed images, but the map itself is most certainly not generated until a player moving next to a chunk forces the server to generate it (that is, to place POI's, decorations, ores, zombies, animals, roads, lakes, etc etc etc). You can confirm this yourself if you like, and keep an eye on the save directory and literally watch a player force a new chunk file to generate as they move about.

Each file (for example, r.0.07rg) can be as small as 5kb and as large 20mB depending on how much player activity has changed the original map and how much of the chunk generated.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like the command there, it'd be nice, but the server would definitely need to pre-generate the map on first startup, and it definitely doesn't do that now, and a fully generated map right down to the grass on each voxel, would take quite a long time to generate, and couldn't be done "on the fly".

Maybe a command "reveal x" would be better - reveals x sectors away from player. There should be limit on "x" for example x<=5.

As it happens I'm combing through various parts of the AssemblyCSharp.DLL in my spare spare time (yes, double spare lol since it's a lowish priority for me at the moment) to see if I can modify that exact value. Increasing it would allow the player to reveal more of the map as they moved along, though it would definitely then place extra burden on the server since it would have more to generate as they did so.

A good test of the "on-the-fly" generation used by the server is to teleport yourself (assuming you have admin access) to a distance location no-one has been to yet. You'll literally be hanging in mid-air as the server madly tries to catch up and generate the terrain around you. Likewise, god fly in a single direction and you'll eventually outpace the server and be flying over nothing as it tries to catch up generating all the chunks you passed through or near.

Likewise, god fly in a single direction and you'll eventually outpace the server and be flying over nothing as it tries to catch up generating all the chunks you passed through or near.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Before the minibike came out, I used to wonder how they would get it to work because I could drink a coffee and outpace the rate the world was being generated at.

Archived