Legendary Parts and Trader Questing

HammerDano

I hope these make sense.

Legendary parts are far too common. I find them in low level POI's and in random garbage. Shouldn't they only be available in 4 or 5 skull and above POI's? It would give them more value. I say this also because, from the lower tier weapons and gear, only the legendary Hunting knife is worthwhile making, as it is viable for mid to endgame...what other low tier legendary is worthwhile after you reach the next tier? 

Moving is a pain until you get at least to minibike...which usually means you won't leave the first biome when you finish the first tier of quests. I have two suggestions. either would work, but, done together would be great: craftable saddle bags for the bike to improve storage but maybe costs speed and/or Traders can only offer quests up to the level of their biome. ie Rekt can ONLY offer tier one, Jen can only offer tier one and two, and so on up the line. Which, by itself, doesn't make moving suck less, but, would make it more of a necessity. 

3 hours ago, HammerDano said:

Legendary parts are far too common.

I play on a server with a loot setting of 40%. And I am very happy when the merchant gives them as a reward.

Moving is a pain until you get at least to minibike...

Why move at all? No one is stopping you from living in one place. I moved after getting a machine gun, because I wanted to be closer to the dead bears' spawn. By that time I already had a motorcycle and I think I could already assemble a car.

Rekt can ONLY offer tier one,

Any level. For me it gives all the levels that are open.

4 hours ago, HammerDano said:

I hope these make sense.

Legendary parts are far too common. I find them in low level POI's and in random garbage. Shouldn't they only be available in 4 or 5 skull and above POI's? It would give them more value. I say this also because, from the lower tier weapons and gear, only the legendary Hunting knife is worthwhile making, as it is viable for mid to endgame...what other low tier legendary is worthwhile after you reach the next tier? 

Moving is a pain until you get at least to minibike...which usually means you won't leave the first biome when you finish the first tier of quests. I have two suggestions. either would work, but, done together would be great: craftable saddle bags for the bike to improve storage but maybe costs speed and/or Traders can only offer quests up to the level of their biome. ie Rekt can ONLY offer tier one, Jen can only offer tier one and two, and so on up the line. Which, by itself, doesn't make moving suck less, but, would make it more of a necessity. 

Legendary parts are pretty common, but they should be available in the early game (low tier POI).  It may be true that most people aren't going to make a Q6 pipe weapon or something, but there is the option to do so and so you should be able to do it when you have those weapons.  Also, crafting Q6 items should not be super hard to accomplish.  You should be able to find enough parts to do so and you'll need parts for all armor, and every weapon you want to use, and probably some or all of the tools you want to use.  Multiply that by the number of players in the party, though you do tend to get more parts with more players, but I don't think it is really linear.  Also, I definitely don't want to wait until I get to tier 4 or 5 quests before I even start to collect legendary parts.  That means it will take a much longer time before I can craft all my Q6 stuff because I'll be starting at 0 parts when I'm probably already at Q5 of everything by then, or at least close.

In any case, I don't think they need to be reduced.  If Q6 was an actual legendary item - something with unique properties that makes it significantly better than the other qualities, then I'd expect to see the legendary parts being rare.  But since they are just another level of quality, the parts to make them shouldn't be rare.

You don't need to transport a ton of stuff on the bicycle.  If you don't have room, drop a crate and pick stuff up later.  Or just don't carry back a bunch of stuff you don't need and won't use.  The amount of inventory space increases as you get further into the game, and I think that actually works very well.  You start out with just your backpack, then you get the bicycle with limited space, then you work up through the vehicles, adding more space each time and eventually get a drone for even more space (especially with cargo mods installed) if you want that.  That being said, they've talked about storage mods for vehicles, though I'm not sure that they'll add them for the bicycle.  But maybe they will.  I definitely would not appreciate traders only giving one tier of quests.  The game should not force people to quest from a specific trader or a specific biome.  If someone wants to stay in the forest the entire time and maybe just occasionally go into other biomes, they should still be allowed to do higher tier quests.  They've already messed that up with the larger towns not being in the forest and we don't need it to be broken more.  At least with the way it is now, you can still use custom maps or edit rwgmixer to get larger towns in the forest if that is what you want.

10 hours ago, HammerDano said:

I hope these make sense.

First off, what is your settings and difficulty at? If you have it to where you lose nothing on death, and get tons of loot and stuff, then yes, it will feel like you are getting an abundance of legendary parts. 
HOWEVER, if you have it set to be more difficult, drop or straight up lose items on death, or are playing with more people, that thought is likely to change. 

You ask what other T6 items are worth it before max type item:

1. If you do NOT have shared xp distance cranked, and haven’t increased base xp amount, I think you will find there are a fair number that are quite worthwhile. 
2. For me personally, I worked down the agility tree, and have made a T6 bone shiv (because it’s super cheap to repair early on), and a T6 9mm Pistol (I have a T4 .44 Revolver I got from a trader, but still carry the 9mm too to get out of sticky situations.) 

By using perks into gunslinger and wearing the Assassin armor, my fire rate with that pistol is high enough that it’s actually worth having full-auto on.

The progression of vehicles is INTENDED to be difficult. If you could move a ton of stuff at once with ease right at the start, the game would be far too easy IMO. 

I do however think there needs to be a couple more options for vehicles (like another post was discussing ATVs, Humvees, Army Trucks). So players have some other options.

I crafted a legendary wooden bow (because I wanted to stay with bow instead of crossbow, so there was a large gap until composite bow). I crafted a legendary pistol because I don't like the magnum at all. I currently still use the (silenced) pistol in parallel to the MP5 I crafted recently. 

There is an argument even for crafting the legendary knife, because a quality1 machete uses double the stamina, but only has double damage on normal attacks not power attacks, and you mostly do power attacks with knifes and machetes. 

I would craft legendary pusher turrets when playing INT, as they are very very useful with specific horde bases, more than the shooty turrets.

Okay, but that's it. Apart from INT and AGI players the only reason to craft legendary weapons is to craft them with an additional mod slot NOW instead of waiting for more magazines until the next step is available. Makes sense if you have enough legendary parts.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

1 hour ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

First off, what is your settings and difficulty at? If you have it to where you lose nothing on death, and get tons of loot and stuff, then yes, it will feel like you are getting an abundance of legendary parts. 
HOWEVER, if you have it set to be more difficult, drop or straight up lose items on death, or are playing with more people, that thought is likely to change. 

I play on a Series S...so playing with others is not much of an option yet. I am using mostly vanilla settings...I turned up the difficulty, day length and number of zombies.

We just got the game back, so I really just want to enjoy it the way I think it was intended to be, Exploring, covering a lot of ground, gathering resources, doing trader missions, moving to the next trader's biome to be closer and keep progressing...actually see the world they created. I just find myself stuck in the forest because I have a couple of iron chests worth of resources to move. If that's just a "me" problem...cool. 

The progression of vehicles is INTENDED to be difficult. If you could move a ton of stuff at once with ease right at the start, the game would be far too easy IMO. 

The Devs aim seemed to be to encourage people to explore more of the game...my suggestions are meant to be in that spirit. Moving biomes is part of that...I keep finding myself not leaving the forest until I get the minibike. I suggested making it so you could carry more, but, be slower...so it would be easier to move, but, not at all  safer. I'd take a wheel barrow if it was on offer...or push a shopping cart.

I do however think there needs to be a couple more options for vehicles (like another post was discussing ATVs, Humvees, Army Trucks). So players have some other options.

I hope they do get to the point where we could re-skin some of the vehicles, but, since everything is basically "new" to console, it's not really on my radar. Thanks for the feedback.

8 hours ago, Riamus said:

Also, I definitely don't want to wait until I get to tier 4 or 5 quests before I even start to collect legendary parts.  That means it will take a much longer time before I can craft all my Q6 stuff because I'll be starting at 0 parts when I'm probably already at Q5 of everything by then, or at least close.

I suggested this because I probably have a dozen Legendary parts by the time I get to tier 4 jobs. I get more out of having to work for something than having it handed to me. I just think they would feel more valuable...more "legendary" if they were actually only found in dangerous places. 

In any case, I don't think they need to be reduced.  If Q6 was an actual legendary item - something with unique properties that makes it significantly better than the other qualities, then I'd expect to see the legendary parts being rare.  But since they are just another level of quality, the parts to make them shouldn't be rare.

I agree with you about this...they are clearly better than tier 5 but really don't feel "legendary". I would like it if they added a random perk to the Legendary items.

You don't need to transport a ton of stuff on the bicycle.  If you don't have room, drop a crate and pick stuff up later.  Or just don't carry back a bunch of stuff you don't need and won't use.  The amount of inventory space increases as you get further into the game, and I think that actually works very well.  You start out with just your backpack, then you get the bicycle with limited space, then you work up through the vehicles, adding more space each time and eventually get a drone for even more space (especially with cargo mods installed) if you want that.  That being said, they've talked about storage mods for vehicles, though I'm not sure that they'll add them for the bicycle.  But maybe they will.  I definitely would not appreciate traders only giving one tier of quests.  The game should not force people to quest from a specific trader or a specific biome.  If someone wants to stay in the forest the entire time and maybe just occasionally go into other biomes, they should still be allowed to do higher tier quests.  They've already messed that up with the larger towns not being in the forest and we don't need it to be broken more.  At least with the way it is now, you can still use custom maps or edit rwgmixer to get larger towns in the forest if that is what you want.

I suggested saddle bags for the bike so it would be somewhat easier to move to the burnt forest. I suggested making the bike slower as a penalty so it would be unlikely to be abused.

I suggested that the traders should only give quests UP TO the level of their biome,  to encourage people to move on, of course you can stay there, but, your progression should be slowed by it, sorry if my post did not make that clear.

I play on console...I don't have random gen maps or the ability to edit to get larger towns in the forest.  

Thanks for your feedback

2 hours ago, HammerDano said:

I play on a Series S...so playing with others is not much of an option yet. I am using mostly vanilla settings...I turned up the difficulty, day length and number of zombies.

We just got the game back, so I really just want to enjoy it the way I think it was intended to be, Exploring, covering a lot of ground, gathering resources, doing trader missions, moving to the next trader's biome to be closer and keep progressing...actually see the world they created. I just find myself stuck in the forest because I have a couple of iron chests worth of resources to move. If that's just a "me" problem...cool. 

The Devs aim seemed to be to encourage people to explore more of the game...my suggestions are meant to be in that spirit. Moving biomes is part of that...I keep finding myself not leaving the forest until I get the minibike. I suggested making it so you could carry more, but, be slower...so it would be easier to move, but, not at all  safer. I'd take a wheel barrow if it was on offer...or push a shopping cart.

I hope they do get to the point where we could re-skin some of the vehicles, but, since everything is basically "new" to console, it's not really on my radar. Thanks for the feedback.

Once the story is added, there may be a reason to move.  But keep in mind that moving bikes too quickly just increases how quickly to reach the end of the game and have nothing much to do.  The more difficult biomes give you better equipment faster and you will level up faster since you will be fighting harder zombies.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with moving to new biomes quickly.  But it isn't necessary.  Also, you can always just go there, do some quests and leave most loot in storage out there until you have a better vehicle to transport things.  I used to put up a 4x5 building next to the trader that just had 6 chests in it to keep stuff until I needed it or was ready to transport it.  I'd have one next to each trader in multiple towns.  I don't bother anymore and just don't travel much until I have a minibike, but that hasn't hurt my game any. 

Also, inventory management is something they want you to do.  Otherwise, their just give you 100 spot backpacks and stacks of 1000 or more on everything.  I know people like having unlimited space, or even just more space, and I don't fault them for liking that, but having to choose what to do when you are out of space is also part of the game.

2 hours ago, HammerDano said:

I suggested this because I probably have a dozen Legendary parts by the time I get to tier 4 jobs. I get more out of having to work for something than having it handed to me. I just think they would feel more valuable...more "legendary" if they were actually only found in dangerous places. 

I agree with you about this...they are clearly better than tier 5 but really don't feel "legendary". I would like it if they added a random perk to the Legendary items.

I suggested saddle bags for the bike so it would be somewhat easier to move to the burnt forest. I suggested making the bike slower as a penalty so it would be unlikely to be abused.

I suggested that the traders should only give quests UP TO the level of their biome,  to encourage people to move on, of course you can stay there, but, your progression should be slowed by it, sorry if my post did not make that clear.

I play on console...I don't have random gen maps or the ability to edit to get larger towns in the forest.  

Thanks for your feedback

I didn't know console couldn't do random gen.  That's a pretty significant negative.

As far as larger towns not being in the forest, I am against that restriction already and it is even worse for console who can't even change it.  Hopefully it becomes optional, but if you can't do random gen, it won't really matter.  Maybe with cross play, you will get access to more maps that are hosted by a server.  One can hope. 

I did understand you meant up to the trader level, but that means only tier 1 in the forest.  Only 1-2 in burnt first, etc.  For players who like a single biome, that isn't a great option.  I do travel and go to other biomes, so it isn't critical for me, but it would impact a lot of players.  And in the end, if anyone really wants to keep moving to new biomes, they can already choose to only do quests up to the biome tier they are in without negatively impacting everyone else by changing things.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Once the story is added, there may be a reason to move.  But keep in mind that moving bikes too quickly just increases how quickly to reach the end of the game and have nothing much to do.  The more difficult biomes give you better equipment faster and you will level up faster since you will be fighting harder zombies.

That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with moving to new biomes quickly.  But it isn't necessary.  Also, you can always just go there, do some quests and leave most loot in storage out there until you have a better vehicle to transport things.  I used to put up a 4x5 building next to the trader that just had 6 chests in it to keep stuff until I needed it or was ready to transport it.  I'd have one next to each trader in multiple towns.  I don't bother anymore and just don't travel much until I have a minibike, but that hasn't hurt my game any. 

Also, inventory management is something they want you to do.  Otherwise, their just give you 100 spot backpacks and stacks of 1000 or more on everything.  I know people like having unlimited space, or even just more space, and I don't fault them for liking that, but having to choose what to do when you are out of space is also part of the game.

I didn't know console couldn't do random gen.  That's a pretty significant negative.

As far as larger towns not being in the forest, I am against that restriction already and it is even worse for console who can't even change it.  Hopefully it becomes optional, but if you can't do random gen, it won't really matter.  Maybe with cross play, you will get access to more maps that are hosted by a server.  One can hope. 

I did understand you meant up to the trader level, but that means only tier 1 in the forest.  Only 1-2 in burnt first, etc.  For players who like a single biome, that isn't a great option.  I do travel and go to other biomes, so it isn't critical for me, but it would impact a lot of players.  And in the end, if anyone really wants to keep moving to new biomes, they can already choose to only do quests up to the biome tier they are in without negatively impacting everyone else by changing things.

Console can have “pregen” maps, but not “random gen”. 

Navezgane doesn’t really have big cities in the forest, but some of the other options have some DECENT towns. They still lack the high level areas that the other areas have, but that’s kind of to be expected.

As far as OP talking about traders being restricted on tier, keep in mind it will send you to other regions to do missions sometimes at the higher difficulties. The trader location shouldn’t matter, only the objective location. As it currently does.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

I sincerely hope they do follow their own plan.

Yup, no random gen was almost a deal breaker, until I heard they were, at least, "giving us" a selection of pre gen maps. 13 in total and a promise they are trying to follow their roadmap. I still hope they will rethink the traders locked to biomes thing, but, not really worth a heart attack either.

They didn't mention that Series S could only invite one other person...that might have made me wait until they earned Crossplay...but we only had one month to buy it or we lost our discount for having bought the original.

It's still not done or balanced well, but, I am done with any of my own complaints, I bought it...they will either finish it or they won't...I'll still get a fair bit of entertainment out of it. I honestly just want it to be the best it can be. My preferences are clearly not for everybody, good to hear other points of view, sometimes I literally did not think of how it might be perceived.

Lol...I probably get my forge and workbench tooo quickly. In the old version I'd have a forge day one or two, still have not got out of the habit, I have them by end of week one. With no random workbenches in the world I feel compelled to get one as fast as possible. I suppose that adds to feeling anchored even though I am not.

I guess until there are game modes, i should be open to it being as open ended as possible.

my thanks again

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

I crafted a legendary wooden bow (because I wanted to stay with bow instead of crossbow, so there was a large gap until composite bow). I crafted a legendary pistol because I don't like the magnum at all. I currently still use the (silenced) pistol in parallel to the MP5 I crafted recently. 

There is an argument even for crafting the legendary knife, because a quality1 machete uses double the stamina, but only has double damage on normal attacks not power attacks, and you mostly do power attacks with knifes and machetes. 

I would craft legendary pusher turrets when playing INT, as they are very very useful with specific horde bases, more than the shooty turrets.

Okay, but that's it. Apart from INT and AGI players the only reason to craft legendary weapons is to craft them with an additional mod slot NOW instead of waiting for more magazines until the next step is available. Makes sense if you have enough legendary parts.

I appreciate what you are saying, but, kinda feel like some of the stuff you are talking about is mid to later, and I'm talking about getting out of the first biome. That said, I really do appreciate that people took the time to respond. 

The "Legendary" weapons are clearly better than tier five, but, they really don't seem...well....legendary. A random  additional stat, something that makes them unique, as it is it doesn't seem quite "there" yet.

I like the idea of making the parts harder to get to give them more value, and accept that probably just means "more valuable" to me. I am probably fairly alone in wanting that. lol

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

1 hour ago, HammerDano said:

I appreciate what you are saying, but, kinda feel like some of the stuff you are talking about is mid to later, and I'm talking about getting out of the first biome. That said, I really do appreciate that people took the time to respond. 

The "Legendary" weapons are clearly better than tier five, but, they really don't seem...well....legendary. A random  additional stat, something that makes them unique, as it is it doesn't seem quite "there" yet.

I like the idea of making the parts harder to get to give them more value, and accept that probably just means "more valuable" to me. I am probably fairly alone in wanting that. lol

They definitely slowed the game down a lot because they want people to get to at least day 70 for a normal save.  It takes getting used to.  I don't really care for the slow pace because the beginning of the game is pretty dull to me after many games.  It isn't until late game that it really gets fun for me. 

You are not the only one who thinks legendary weapons should actually be legendary.  I commented on that myself when they mentioned adding legendary parts.  I know they always called Q6 "legendary", but it wasn't really referenced as that and you could ignore the name.  But now that we have legendary parts, it is in your face and just feels wrong.  They have kind of agreed about it being nice to have actual legendary equipment, but they haven't committed to it.

1 hour ago, HammerDano said:

There were plans for "real" legendary weapons and as far as I heard the feature was fully designed and only waiting for implementation. After some time it seemed to have been put on the backburner and never returned. We can still hope it will eventually surface.

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

They definitely slowed the game down a lot because they want people to get to at least day 70 for a normal save.  It takes getting used to.  I don't really care for the slow pace because the beginning of the game is pretty dull to me after many games.  It isn't until late game that it really gets fun for me. 

You are not the only one who thinks legendary weapons should actually be legendary.  I commented on that myself when they mentioned adding legendary parts.  I know they always called Q6 "legendary", but it wasn't really referenced as that and you could ignore the name.  But now that we have legendary parts, it is in your face and just feels wrong.  They have kind of agreed about it being nice to have actual legendary equipment, but they haven't committed to it.

I know they have functioned on a 6 tier system basically the whole time, but what about the possibility of adding various legendary tiers? Each additional tier has the chance to unlock either an upgraded stat or a special stat. 

Just throwing an idea out there.

Alternatively, be able to make higher tier versions of lower grade items? Like the lower grade it is the more legendary parts it takes to make. The benefit would be trade offs for balancing. 

Shotguns for example:

The sawn off versus the auto shotgun.

The sawn off under normal circumstances hits much weaker, but with this system it would increase the damage per shot significantly to bring the damage in line with the DPS of auto shotgun. EXTREMELY high damage but at the cost of capacity, fire rate, and range.

like I said, just tossing out ideas that could help with the legendary parts.

It's just a feeling I have, but I think they'll eventually get around to "real" legendary items at some point, though it might be a DLC after gold.  One part for everything just seems like a placeholder to me.  But who knows?

7 hours ago, Riamus said:

It's just a feeling I have, but I think they'll eventually get around to "real" legendary items at some point, though it might be a DLC after gold.  One part for everything just seems like a placeholder to me.  But who knows?

I like where you and GaurdianReaper0 are going with this convo: Along those lines, maybe the legendary parts are also necessary to reroll the stats, or to change the random added legendary stat. 

6 minutes ago, HammerDano said:

I like where you and GaurdianReaper0 are going with this convo: Along those lines, maybe the legendary parts are also necessary to reroll the stats, or to change the random added legendary stat. 

Personally, I don’t think refilling stats on the same item is a good route. Instead, needing to build another one in the hopes of getting what you want would be better.

My reasoning on this is that these are supposed to be THE end tier type of items right? If it’s just one and done, you cut down the amount of time significantly, which to some sounds good, but it will make it get more boring, quicker.

In addition, if you are in a larger server selling items between players, which is more entertaining:

- going to different shops with all the same items listed at the same prices, because you can simply reroll it

OR

- Going between player shops to see a variety of items that cannot be rerolled, so they each have their own unique value

Making it to where each will need to be made individually would help a lot.

Additionally, with being able to have varied stats it would be nice if you could rename your weapon. Like an auto shotgun with increased fire rate, the player could name it the “wood chipper” if they so chose!

6 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

Personally, I don’t think refilling stats on the same item is a good route. Instead, needing to build another one in the hopes of getting what you want would be better.

My reasoning on this is that these are supposed to be THE end tier type of items right? If it’s just one and done, you cut down the amount of time significantly, which to some sounds good, but it will make it get more boring, quicker.

In addition, if you are in a larger server selling items between players, which is more entertaining:

- going to different shops with all the same items listed at the same prices, because you can simply reroll it

OR

- Going between player shops to see a variety of items that cannot be rerolled, so they each have their own unique value

Making it to where each will need to be made individually would help a lot.

Additionally, with being able to have varied stats it would be nice if you could rename your weapon. Like an auto shotgun with increased fire rate, the player could name it the “wood chipper” if they so chose!

Agreed, if they are end game worthy, they should be harder to get...re-rolling is probably not the best of my ideas. Having to make more than one to get the stat or perk you wanted really should have more cost in effort, but, also not impossible for the more casual player. I don't know if we are in the majority opinion on this. :)

I hear what you are saying about multi player...hope to get there someday. lol