Blocks insta breaking and fences.

I built a roof and on there have made an attempt to place perimeter fencing.

I cant get corner fences placed. They interfere with the next block. 

The ghost place block turns pink and then when placed will destroy entire structure in proximity. 

I attempted to upgrade a wood block in a fenced placed roof area and the upgrade destroyed all blocks in proximity. 

Placing a perimeter fence has alot of issues and some will cause immediate destruction of building blocks in proximity. 

- BetterWet

6 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

I cant get corner fences placed. They interfere with the next block. 

This is probably normal; every block requires a full "cube" of space, corners included. This makes designing fences a little difficult, but doable with some thought.

7 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

The ghost place block turns pink and then when placed will destroy entire structure in proximity.

The pink is a warning of bad support; it doesn't work right for all blocks, but when it does work, it Means that the block you're placing will cause a collapse - either the entire structure you're attaching it to, or just the block itself. Sounds like in this case it was the entire structure.. you'll need more supports from the ground.

9 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

I attempted to upgrade a wood block in a fenced placed roof area and the upgrade destroyed all blocks in proximity. 

This .. sounds weird, unless you upgraded from wood to stone (that might cause weight issues). There used to be bugs about upgraded blocks disappearing from stability calcs on occasion, but I haven't seen one in ages...

4 minutes ago, theFlu said:

This is probably normal; every block requires a full "cube" of space, corners included. This makes designing fences a little difficult, but doable with some thought.

Right its working as intended but i expected an attachment feature with fence blocks. There's no other clean corner option. The iron bars dont even place on the edge of the block. Another issue imo.

The pink is a warning of bad support; it doesn't work right for all blocks, but when it does work, it Means that the block you're placing will cause a collapse - either the entire structure you're attaching it to, or just the block itself. Sounds like in this case it was the entire structure.. you'll need more supports from the ground.

I figured pink was definitely bad something. Luckily it was designed as just an outcropping off the structure for shooting lines of sight down. Lost maybe 6 blocks and fences. Can you explain what's more supports from the ground mean? Metal truss? I havent built with it yet.

This .. sounds weird, unless you upgraded from wood to stone (that might cause weight issues). There used to be bugs about upgraded blocks disappearing from stability calcs on occasion, but I haven't seen one in ages...

It was wood block to upgraded wood im fairly certain.  I can try to clip the vod if it will help.

2 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

Can you explain what's more supports from the ground mean?

It's basics of the building / Structural Integrity here. Any block attached to ground will never collapse (without bugs, and as long as "ground" is connected all the way to the bottom of the world (usually called Bedrock)). Any such block offers some support sideways (glue value), so you can attach some blocks to the side of a pole or a wall. These side-attached blocks (and whole structures you hang like that) will collapse if you place too much weight on them.

Some simple examples (numbers are not correct, but reasonable)

If you make a wooden pillar and attach wood to the side, you can "bridge" about 6 blocks from one face of the pillar.

If you start from a wood pillar and attach metal blocks to it, you'll have a collapse after two blocks. The metal is heavy and the wood is weak.

Metal also carries a lot of weight, so if you start a metal pillar, and attach metal blocks, you can reach 12+ hanging weight; the game actually throws a hissy fit before the weight limit and will drop a block at a significant distance (13, 15, 16, something in that neighborhood).

Building upwards "while hanging" changes the numbers somewhat, things seem to carry more upwards. But I've done so little tests on it that I can't really say what it does right now...

Wow, alot of insight into the weight mechanics. I had no clue. I will keep all this in mind when building now. 

Maybe you would know this. My first games i joined were multiplayer and the guys were pretty advanced. They had built a perimeter wall and on the outside edge they had bars sticking out you could walk on and shoot straight  down through. It looked like the railing but placed horizontal? I can't figure out how to replicate? 

12 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

It looked like the railing but placed horizontal? I can't figure out how to replicate? 

Probably a "bars" -block; could be a railing as well ofc. You can look for either word in the shape selection, should find something similar. Some blocks you can shoot through, (bars, arrow slits) some you will hit the "real" parts (poles, ladders). And melee behaves differently again, per block...

But the likely issue is rotation mode? There's a couple different modes to select rotation, you can choose between them from the block-radial menu. Equip a block, hold down reload (I think it's 'r' by default). That shows a dial with plenty of options, you're looking for "Advanced rotation". Then you can click through roughly 24 different rotations for most block types. Try out the other stuff too at some point, plenty of handy things there .. :)

7 hours ago, BetterWet said:

Wow, alot of insight into the weight mechanics. I had no clue. I will keep all this in mind when building now. 

If you enable Creative mod, you can see in the description of the blocks the weight of the block and the weight that it can support horizontally. The block has no vertical restrictions.

7 hours ago, BetterWet said:

Maybe you would know this. My first games i joined were multiplayer and the guys were pretty advanced. They had built a perimeter wall and on the outside edge they had bars sticking out you could walk on and shoot straight  down through. It looked like the railing but placed horizontal? I can't figure out how to replicate? 

Most likely these are railings turned horizontally. I have part of the floor made from them and I also use them along the outer perimeter so that I can shoot at those who approach.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/36939-post-your-base/#comment-566499

17 hours ago, BetterWet said:

I figured pink was definitely bad something. Luckily it was designed as just an outcropping off the structure for shooting lines of sight down. Lost maybe 6 blocks and fences. Can you explain what's more supports from the ground mean? Metal truss? I havent built with it yet.

I direct you to Guns Nerds and Steel. He does great 7DTD content on YouTube and there is a section in this video that goes over the basics of structural stability. The mains points are this:

• A single column of blocks that goes directly to the ground will in most cases have what's called bedrock support. (The only caveat is if there is a hollow portion under the ground, like a mine that you've dug or underground POI). You can build vertically as high as you want. Stability will remain constant on that column.
  • Blocks placed horizontally off these columns rely on the block they are attached to, and the material of that block will determine how much weight (i.e. the number of blocks) that that block can support horizontally. Each type (frame, wood, cobble, concrete, and steel) have increasing levels of stability support.
  • When upgrading, be sure to start on the block that is part of the bedrock column. For example, if you have two wood frame columns that are 8 meters apart with a row of blocks suspended between them, upgrading from the center of the "bridge" will likely collapse the structure. Start from the columns!

Edited by Syphon583 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Suxar said:

If you enable Creative mod, you can see in the description of the blocks the weight of the block and the weight that it can support horizontally. The block has no vertical restrictions.

Most likely these are railings turned horizontally. I have part of the floor made from them and I also use them along the outer perimeter so that I can shoot at those who approach.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/36939-post-your-base/#comment-566499

I was thinking of building a shoot through main floor section like that. Very cool. How is your building levitating?

2 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I direct you to Guns Nerds and Steel. He does great 7DTD content on YouTube and there is a section in this video that goes over the basics of structural stability. The mains points are this:

• A single column of blocks that goes directly to the ground will in most cases have what's called bedrock support. (The only caveat is if there is a hollow portion under the ground, like a mine that you've dug or underground POI). You can build vertically as high as you want. Stability will remain constant on that column.
  • Blocks placed horizontally off these columns rely on the block they are attached to, and the material of that block will determine how much weight (i.e. the number of blocks) that that block can support horizontally. Each type (frame, wood, cobble, concrete, and steel) have increasing levels of stability support.
  • When upgrading, be sure to start on the block that is part of the bedrock column. For example, if you have two wood frame columns that are 8 meters apart with a row of blocks suspended between them, upgrading from the center of the "bridge" will likely collapse the structure. Start from the columns!

Prettt much what Flu was saying yeah.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:13 PM, BetterWet said:

How is your building levitating?

The block for calculations is always a cube. There are horizontal railings (and similar shapes) in a horizontal position. First the bottom, then the top. As a result, the “empty space” between them is slightly less than 2 blocks.

16 minutes ago, Suxar said:

The block for calculations is always a cube. There are horizontal railings (and similar shapes) in a horizontal position. First the bottom, then the top. As a result, the “empty space” between them is slightly less than 2 blocks.

In so confused..huh? And why? No ground connection? Better for zeds?

10 minutes ago, BetterWet said:

In so confused..huh? And why? No ground connection? Better for zeds?

Mostly habit. Before A19, zombies always walked in a straight line, as a result they simply crowded under the floor right under you. Now they are trying to break the structure, but due to the fact that the block is narrow, they often cannot hit it. And it’s more convenient for me to shoot, I don’t have to leave the house.