I bought the game in 2017, but now I can't install it again?

So like the title states. I bought the game on the MS store back in October, 2017. The receipt states "7 Days to Die". After some error searching it seems that the game now has been split into one PC version and one Console version. The PC version is named the same as what I bought, I did NOT buy the "7 Days to Die - Console edition" which I can now buy at a 25% discount. Is this a bug or is this another money grab to get me to pay for a game twice? 

You originally bought an "almost finished" console game from the MS store whose publisher "telltale games" went bankrupt. The had licenced the game from TFP. There should have been at least one if not more further updates, but those updates and any further plans with that game died together with the publisher. A large part of the money you payed for the game went to telltale games and was probably used to fix their other problems and eventually to pay debtors. At that time the console version of the game had nothing common with the PC version anymore, it was a distinct game that was practically abandonware.

TFP later bought the publishing rights back from the bankrupt's assets and decided to create a new port to console, this time hiring the developers themselves and publishing it themselves, with another company as a hired publisher. TFP surely did get a share of money from the old console game but they also had to buy back the publishing rights and that seems to have cost a lot. All the new work to port the game again has to be payed, the publisher has to be paid, MS and Sony want a cut on each copy sold as well.

If you buy the game, you are not buying the same game again. If Sony gives out a license to a different company to make headphones just like theirs and that company folds you also won't get replacement parts from Sony or free upgrades of the hardware if available. Yeah sure, not the best analogy, but adequate.

Now if you still think it is a money grab, don't buy it. If everything above is true though then TFP had no alternative if they wanted to publish a new console version. They simply have to ask for money to finance the game port or they would be losing money on most copies sold.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

The fact that the Microsoft Store says you are getting a discount on the console version means you bought the console version, regardless of the name.  You don't get a discount if you bought the PC version.  Your receipt likely shows the publisher on it, which would be Telltale Games, who never published the PC version.