Console edition - blurry/low quality/low resolution

Just my 2 cents:  If anyone makes any changes to the graphics on a game that probably maxes my PS5 to its outer limits and causes other issues im gonna be grumpy.  It looks fine, right now it runs fine, I'm happy with just getting to play it on my console.   I dont care if the mountains 6,000 miles away look foggy, if the graphics arent top not PC beautiful, just want a game that doesn't crash or a game that doesn't crash my base and wont reload ect........    I'm not posting this to talk trash to you boys, just throwing it out there that some of us may have lower expectations on graphics and are just happy the game runs.  

This topic is not a wish for upgrade graphics , but for alert dev on problem to dynamic resolution or distance resolution.

if you look on pc with the low graphics setting, the game stay clear and the blurry start after a correct distance.

on xbox, the game is blury just after the hand, we can’t read the text in the world …

12 hours ago, Balun said:

Just my 2 cents:  If anyone makes any changes to the graphics on a game that probably maxes my PS5 to its outer limits and causes other issues im gonna be grumpy.  It looks fine, right now it runs fine, I'm happy with just getting to play it on my console.   I dont care if the mountains 6,000 miles away look foggy, if the graphics arent top not PC beautiful, just want a game that doesn't crash or a game that doesn't crash my base and wont reload ect........    I'm not posting this to talk trash to you boys, just throwing it out there that some of us may have lower expectations on graphics and are just happy the game runs.  

There's a couple things wrong with this post. To start, let's just clear up that the graphics are terrible - whatever they've done to it versus the pc version even at its lowest settings, has everything look blurry (not just the distance, but even up close, to the point where you can't even read text on storage boxes unless you're standing within touching distance anyway) to the point where it's causing physical discomfort to some of their player base, mostly those with glasses or contacts. 

Secondly, fixing the graphics and performance is not going to "push your ps5 to the max" and cause other issues. Look at ANY other games released on new gen consoles, and compare their graphics and performance with 7D2D, and find 7D2D placed squarely in last place. Even games such as Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Destiny 2, Call of Duty and Modern Warfare, just to name a few, that were released on old gen consoles and look vastly better in terms of graphics and has less issues with hitching and stuttering compared to this new version of 7D2D; and those are last gen consoles not even touching on the hardware abilities that the new gens have. 

There is simply no reason for the game to look and play so badly with the hardware available to run it. Even on PC, if you run the game on a potato with the lowest settings available, it still looks crystal clear.

So to paraphrase Golden29Elites post just above this one, the graphics, on their own, are perfectly fine as seen clearly on PC, which uses the same assets in its entirety, but the devs have clearly mucked up somewhere in the conversion or decided that, even though the hardware on new gen consoles can very obviously run the game at much better quality without any issues, to cover everything in a layer of chromatic aberration, terrible anti aliasing or messed up resolution settings, in one way or another. 

So while it's great for you that you're happy with how the game runs, there are many of us who are not - either because we consider this an accessibility issue at this point, or because we actually know the potential the game has and are not happy with TFP taking the easy way out just because this is better than the previous console version. It's simply unacceptable, especially with TFP bragging up record high player numbers on all platforms since the release of 1.0 - while straight up ignoring those players issues. 

10 hours ago, Camiracundus said:

There's a couple things wrong with this post. To start, let's just clear up that the graphics are terrible - whatever they've done to it versus the pc version even at its lowest settings, has everything look blurry (not just the distance, but even up close, to the point where you can't even read text on storage boxes unless you're standing within touching distance anyway) to the point where it's causing physical discomfort to some of their player base, mostly those with glasses or contacts. 

Secondly, fixing the graphics and performance is not going to "push your ps5 to the max" and cause other issues. Look at ANY other games released on new gen consoles, and compare their graphics and performance with 7D2D, and find 7D2D placed squarely in last place. Even games such as Red Dead Redemption, God of War, Destiny 2, Call of Duty and Modern Warfare, just to name a few, that were released on old gen consoles and look vastly better in terms of graphics and has less issues with hitching and stuttering compared to this new version of 7D2D; and those are last gen consoles not even touching on the hardware abilities that the new gens have. 

There is simply no reason for the game to look and play so badly with the hardware available to run it. Even on PC, if you run the game on a potato with the lowest settings available, it still looks crystal clear.

So to paraphrase Golden29Elites post just above this one, the graphics, on their own, are perfectly fine as seen clearly on PC, which uses the same assets in its entirety, but the devs have clearly mucked up somewhere in the conversion or decided that, even though the hardware on new gen consoles can very obviously run the game at much better quality without any issues, to cover everything in a layer of chromatic aberration, terrible anti aliasing or messed up resolution settings, in one way or another. 

So while it's great for you that you're happy with how the game runs, there are many of us who are not - either because we consider this an accessibility issue at this point, or because we actually know the potential the game has and are not happy with TFP taking the easy way out just because this is better than the previous console version. It's simply unacceptable, especially with TFP bragging up record high player numbers on all platforms since the release of 1.0 - while straight up ignoring those players issues. 

Hmmmm last I looked those games your all excited about were not Voxel type games.   Maybe I'm wrong and it is all the fun pimps fault for not making graphics up to par for what they should be but I really dont care that you cant read the writing on a box from 10ft away and you have to get closer to see what it says.  Also stop comparing consoles to have anything to do with PC's, Potato's or anything else.   Whole different animal.   I would be more concerned about stutter stepping on a big horde night, locking up and crashing when friends join the game, ect.......   This is a bigger concern to me than the clarity of the graphics is all I was saying.    Maybe we will get lucky and @SylenThunder can fill in the gaps.    His comments are the best

1 hour ago, Balun said:

Hmmmm last I looked those games your all excited about were not Voxel type games.   Maybe I'm wrong and it is all the fun pimps fault for not making graphics up to par for what they should be but I really dont care that you cant read the writing on a box from 10ft away and you have to get closer to see what it says.  Also stop comparing consoles to have anything to do with PC's, Potato's or anything else.   Whole different animal.   I would be more concerned about stutter stepping on a big horde night, locking up and crashing when friends join the game, ect.......   This is a bigger concern to me than the clarity of the graphics is all I was saying.    Maybe we will get lucky and @SylenThunder can fill in the gaps.    His comments are the best

Well if we just want to go through the list of games...

Red Dead Redemption - 2D planar tech. Not voxel
God of War - Same as above, but this actually uses the CPU a bit.
Destiny 2 - Again 2D tech, and not voxel.
Call of Duty and Modern Warfare - Basically CoD on a new engine with better graphics but still not Voxel at all.

Some other games I saw mentioned in another thread possibly. They were excited about them coming to consoles.

Smalland - Only uses voxel technology for building pieces. Minimal SI calculation. Everything else is your standard 2D mapping.

Enshrouded - Semi-Voxel. Similar to Valheim, Space Engineers, Empyrion, and a plethora of other similar "Voxel" games where only the structures are true voxels. The rest is creative mesh mapping with a simulated micro-voxel environment. Almost no SI calculation and very cheap on the processing. This is a custom in-house engine by Keen, and there is zero structural integrity math. 

Nightingale - Not voxel here. Building might be slightly voxel-based, but no different than the basics that exist in other games that aren't voxel games and have static maps. Like Ark, Conan, ect. I participated in the closed Alpha tests. It looks like it will be an amazing game when it is finished. In PC EA right now for $30, and that actually looks like a decent price point for the quality of the game right now.

The biggest struggle for the Console is that 7 Days requires a lot of CPU processing, and the consoles are designed almost entirely around GPU processing.

On 8/5/2024 at 11:31 AM, Camiracundus said:

Bumping again. Still no response from the devs anywhere about looking into or fixing this; all they seem to be doing is bragging about record high player numbers on their social media pages while ignoring said players issues with the game. 

I've been playing since late 2014, one of the biggest things about 7D2D has always been optimization. Over the years it has improved dramatically considering what it use to look like, how it preformed on high end PCs'. What I think it may could be is AMD FSR. I'm not sure this even works on console but if it does that would explain the blurry vision. I noticed with FSR on and ultra setting its perfect - down it to High its blurry. I don't think that setting is properly optimized yet for console or pc. 

I'd give it some time since the new Console Edition only released 3 weeks ago. Yes, the PS5 and Series X are decent machines for being Consoles, but they still have their limitations as the tech inside is already about 5 years old now. And not only that, but Voxel Space games are extremely taxing on hardware due to how they caculate and process data. With that said, compared to the old Console version we were playing before on the PS4 and XB1, this new version is a night and day difference and I personally couldn't be anymore happier with what we got at launch so far. Sure, there's been a few bugs here and there, but overall I think the game launched in a pretty decent state compared to some bigger AAA games that released in the last few years. Also, when that game breaking Storage Crate bug was happening to some players, the devs acted relatively quickly to resolve that issue with a hotfix, so kudos to them on that front. Anyway, I'd give the devs some time to iron out all of the bugs and drop some patches.

Cheers! 😀

P.S. Keep in mind, it might not be The Fun Pimps themselves who are working on the new Console port specifically. I could be wrong, but I think any bug fixes, optimization work, etc will be the devs from Titanium Games which is the studio that The Fun Pimps hired to get the game to run on Console. Also, take what I just said with a grain of salt since I don't know the answer definitively.