The Fire Axe and the Steel Axe

Old Crow

I've been thinking - why is it some of the Steel tier melee weapons and tools look like something made haphazardly in someone's garage (steel club, steel axe, steel knuckles, steel spear), and others look like they're store-bought (machete, steel shovel, impact driver, steel pickaxe)? Let's change that!

I propose, for starters, making the steel axe look like a woodcutting axe, and the fire axe look like a camping/survival hatchet. Feels kind of silly too that we have a Fire Axe AND a Fireman's Axe Mod. Keep the stats the same though - just model and name changes for those two axes.

Only if they give axe combat some love. Fire Axe has been my go-to melee for more than half a decade, in spite of no perks buffing it (Even the dedicated fireman's axe mod is terrible). It's the perfect balance of range, damage, stamina use, attack speed, and ability to one-shot zeds. Hunting Knife would be better but the range difference is critical - axe allows you to escape with little to no damage taken. Axe wins IMO; nothing else beats it as the holdout melee weapon for non-melee builds (though steel shovel comes close).

11 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Only if they give axe combat some love. Fire Axe has been my go-to melee for more than half a decade, in spite of no perks buffing it (Even the dedicated fireman's axe mod is terrible). It's the perfect balance of range, damage, stamina use, attack speed, and ability to one-shot zeds. Hunting Knife would be better but the range difference is critical - axe allows you to escape with little to no damage taken. Axe wins IMO; nothing else beats it as the holdout melee weapon for non-melee builds (though steel shovel comes close).

I would love if axe combat got some love, but I believe they want to keep axes set as just tools, sadly. The current Steel Axe's model is definitely a home-welded battleaxe though, so I always found it odd that it was just a tool.

4 hours ago, Old Crow said:

I would love if axe combat got some love, but I believe they want to keep axes set as just tools, sadly. The current Steel Axe's model is definitely a home-welded battleaxe though, so I always found it odd that it was just a tool.

Yeah, I mean, if they want to keep it a tool make it a tool at least. Steel axe is just really unwieldy though. Too damn heavy and slow.

16 hours ago, FramFramson said:

I think a total conversion would be cool. Trade harvesting for Damage and dismember 

Or, and hear me out here, make the CHAINSAW an actual viable weapon instead of the pathetic electric toothbrush it is right now against zombies.

Like, I didn't even THINK about the motorized harvesting tools, that's how deprecated they are. Only the Impact Driver is still useful.

Why we can't viably chainsaw zombies in a zombie killing game just BAFFLES me. It's not like it would ever beat the M60 or the rocket launcher or similar weapons, even significantly beefed up.

Just give it steel axe damage and, like, a high dismember chance. Boom, probably playable as a main melee weapon/axe replacement.