Issues with older version of the game

Hey guys ! I'd like to play older versions like the a16.4 or the a19 but when I choose the betas in the Steam properties, my game run but it never launches after a loading time
Is it currently possible to play on older versions?

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Ceduss said:
Hey guys ! I'd like to play older versions like the a16.4 or the a19 but when I choose the betas in the Steam properties, my game run but it never launches after a loading time
Is it currently possible to play on older versions?

I have played versions back to A5 but you can get them on steam at least back to A8. I have even watched a streamer in the last month or so playing A17.

What version were you looking to play? I have most of them downloaded and I may be able to do a quick setup of it and try and see how it gores

image.png.9636c44fcbe01f0049253e2895a68f25.png

These are a few I have on comp at moment.

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

Old versions won't work if you try to use the Launcher by hitting the Play button. Start them by running the exe itself in the game folder. Create a desktop link for convenience.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Old versions won't work if you try to use the Launcher by hitting the Play button. Start them by running the exe itself in the game folder. Create a desktop link for convenience.

Yeah, all those older versions you see me show, I have made a shortcut on my desktop to the exe files in the folders

2 hours ago, seven said:

Ok it's work !
How can I get several .exe versions with steam? For example the a16 and the a19? just put a copy of the game with the right version on my desktop and change beta on steam and do the same one again?

3 hours ago, Ceduss said:

Ok it's work !
How can I get several .exe versions with steam? For example the a16 and the a19? just put a copy of the game with the right version on my desktop and change beta on steam and do the same one again?

Yes, you can just copy the game to a different location. I do something similar to Gamida image above. I have a folder named 7dtd on my d: drive, and inside that I'll have folders for each version I have installed. So, you could copy your current install of 16.4 from ...\SteamGames\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die to a folder named ...\7dtd\16.4. Then change the steam beta version to 19.x, let it update, and then copy that to ...\7dtd\19.x. And then create a windows shortcut to the .exe in each of those folders.

You can also separate your saves for each version into separate folders which can keep things better organized. You can specify a location by adding an option to the target field in the shortcut. For example, I have a folder named D:\7dtd\GameSaves and inside that I will have a folder for A16 saves. Using the "-UserDataFolder" option I can change the shortcut target to D:\7dtd\A16.4\7DaysToDie.exe -UserDataFolder=D:\7dtd\GameSaves\A16 and all saves for that exe will be placed in that folder. You could also do that if you are running a set of mods, or an overhaul. Example, I also have an A19 version of Darkness Falls installed, and the UserDataFolder is set to D:\7dtd\GameSaves\A19DF and it will use the Mods folder in that location. This way you can have different overhaul mods installed all using the same game version folder.

16 hours ago, Ceduss said:

Ok it's work !

yes. Just like mentioned above. I have each game version in a separate folder and each exe in each folder I used to make a shortcut on the desktop.

Personally myself. As I had the room I downloaded each version and kept a copy of them on a second hard drive. As I have a desire to play a certain version I just make a folder on my C drive and copy the vanilla version to the folder. That then would be the only copy I would make any changes like adding mods.

Yes I have also saved a folder with some mods from older versions lol. Not a lot sadly as didn't think to do it early enough, but you can still find some mods out there for version back to about 16.