New Block to Create NPC Community - New Items | Radio Tower, Radio, and Walkie / Talkie

jmmcclel

Hello, pretty easy idea. Create new craft able items, "Radio Tower" and Radio. Players will craft these items to and need to wire them up and power them. This will broadcast a "sanctuary" message on a wave of their choosing and request a name to call the new sanctuary.

As they run into NPCs there will be a new dialog option to "Join us at _______ ". This will trigger the NPC to travel to that location and begin looking for a place to stay.

New missions will be broadcast over the walkie talkies from the sanctuary if they are under attack or during horde nights.

Seemed like fun.

There's a radio block in A21. You can see it at traders and in some other POIs. It would be trivial to make a recipe so players could craft it.

You can build and find towers in the game, but the real question is what you would call an antenna. You know, the thing we like to put way up high on a tower for both safety reasons and to cope with the curvature of the Earth and extend the broadcast range. You can craft thin metal poles.

The part I find interesting about the suggestion is some kind of map-wide communication. Many groups of players are chatting via Discord (or equivalent) anyways so it isn't a feature many people really need.

But, if you were to implement it in-game, then you'd probably want (1) an antenna, (2) an amplifier/repeater, (3) some 2m handheld HAM radios and the ways to craft them. Unless you had a earpiece or turned off your radio, you could add 50 points to your stealth value whenever somebody said something.

Regarding NPCs, I do kind of like the notion of something similar to the Fallout 4 Minutemen/Survivors camps. I don't think that's in the cards. Maybe you could do something with mannequin blocks and... okay, yeh, that's probably not very satisfying. :)