Miserable sky mod [request]

I saw this on Reddit and I would love it if there was a mod to make the sky look like this in every biome at all times during the day...as in this is the clearest the sky could look. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ran a quick and dirty test and it appears this is probably just the "spectrum" of the wasteland sky, which looks to be:

<spectrum name="burnt_forest"/>

I added this spectrum to the forest biome in biomes.xml and it looked similar, as if the sky was very smoky/hazy/grey.

Anyway, I might (if time is available) be able to throw something together this weekend that might work, basically adding or replacing the spectrums of all biomes with the burnt forest one.  The only thing I'm not sure of is that there are "subbiome" weather specific spectrums, basically defined when its rainy or stormy. I assume those would be dark (enough) as well and would need to not be changed, but it may change the tint of the sky when it rains/storms.

@Arez: First attempt at the mod is here: 7D2D-Doughs-Mods-a21 main page. the mod is called "Doughs-Ambiance-SkyIsBurntForestInAllBiomes". Let me know if its what you were trying for or if you think it needs tweaks/fixes/etc.  I just did the basics/obvious stuff I think needed to be done and only tested for like 5 minutes on the navezgane map with no other mods loaded or weather like rain/snow happening. I'm not sure how all the weather/bloodmoon, etc will conflict or affect it.  If you load it with my "Weather-Core" mod it likely will not work well (Weather-Core will override it), but I put notes in the README file in the mod on how to possibly load them both together, but I did not test it.

On 4/14/2024 at 8:27 AM, doughphunghus said:

@Arez: First attempt at the mod is here: 7D2D-Doughs-Mods-a21 main page. the mod is called "Doughs-Ambiance-SkyIsBurntForestInAllBiomes". Let me know if its what you were trying for or if you think it needs tweaks/fixes/etc.  I just did the basics/obvious stuff I think needed to be done and only tested for like 5 minutes on the navezgane map with no other mods loaded or weather like rain/snow happening. I'm not sure how all the weather/bloodmoon, etc will conflict or affect it.  If you load it with my "Weather-Core" mod it likely will not work well (Weather-Core will override it), but I put notes in the README file in the mod on how to possibly load them both together, but I did not test it.

Oh my GOD! The Dark Knight of the modding community, DoughPhunghus responded to my request?! This is an honor!

I will install this and stream it on YouTube later today. www.youtube.com/@YTDoubleG If you want to check it out, don't worry about seeing it live. I have the DVR function enabled so it will be saved in the live tab on my channel.

The only other mods I'll have installed are my zombie pack mod, Dark Nights, SCore, XNPCCore, Bestiary, OCB leveling hoe, The Resident Evil 2 RPD POI, Path Smoothing and Wookie's game options. 

1 hour ago, Arez said:

Oh my GOD! The Dark Knight of the modding community, DoughPhunghus responded to my request?! This is an honor!

I will install this and stream it on YouTube later today. www.youtube.com/@YTDoubleG If you want to check it out, don't worry about seeing it live. I have the DVR function enabled so it will be saved in the live tab on my channel.

The only other mods I'll have installed are my zombie pack mod, Dark Nights, SCore, XNPCCore, Bestiary, OCB leveling hoe, The Resident Evil 2 RPD POI, Path Smoothing and Wookie's game options. 

Thanks 😊Now I really hope it works like it should/as desired. It shouldn't conflict with any of those as it's only modifying the biomes. Good luck and ill check it out!

18 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Good luck and ill check it out!

I'm loving it. It's perfect. It adds this extra dramatic tone to everything, kinda like what film does.

I know some people don't like things too dark and miserable looking. I've had comments saying the game is dark enough, why would you need Dark Nights...and the burnt forest and wasteland is too depressing, and they mod it to make the sky clear. Obviously I'm not like that because I want things to have as much of a down tone as possible. 

But I think even people that don't like a depressing vibe would like this mod.  

The only technical thing I noticed is that it seemed to go away upon entering the snow biome and stayed like that until I entered and then left Trader Hugh's place. Don't the traders kinda have their own biome to some degree? Either it took time to kick in again or going to the trader reset it.  

3 hours ago, Arez said:

I'm loving it. It's perfect. It adds this extra dramatic tone to everything, kinda like what film does.

I know some people don't like things too dark and miserable looking. I've had comments saying the game is dark enough, why would you need Dark Nights...and the burnt forest and wasteland is too depressing, and they mod it to make the sky clear. Obviously I'm not like that because I want things to have as much of a down tone as possible. 

But I think even people that don't like a depressing vibe would like this mod.  

The only technical thing I noticed is that it seemed to go away upon entering the snow biome and stayed like that until I entered and then left Trader Hugh's place. Don't the traders kinda have their own biome to some degree? Either it took time to kick in again or going to the trader reset it.  

yeah, i like the "mostly gloom and doom" too because (mostly) it makes it harder to see far (for planing where to go), and enemies come out enough to see only when they are very close and you sometimes don't know its a horde, and also you have less time to prepare for them. And driving gets harder. And its a more "horror feel". There have been times it was so dark/foggy/rainy i have had to just sit in a garage and crouch, slowly starving while i can barely see a few shadows of zombies shuffling very close by, but i know there are more of them somewhere because of noises. And theres a wolf too but its simply too dark. 

Anyway :). For the other issues: Interesting. Hmm, there is not a biome or trader level config thing i have seen... but then again, maybe there actually is something special about them. For the snow biome, i might be able to figure that one out unless it has something do do with the "whiteness of the snow" or something similar that makes the snow biome "special" (like falling snow does something, or the ambient light or something is adjusted for that biome).

for the "kicking in" aspect: i have noticed that for "weather stuff" there does seem to be a delay. Like if you start a game with "all rain" it takes a bit for the rain to start, its "default blue skies" for a minute or two. Biome transitioning has usually a tiny bit of delay for weather/effects, but its more like 5 seconds. So im leaning towards "something special about traders" i did not (or cannot) account for. 

thanks for the input! Ill poke around and see if i can figure the snow and trader weirdness out.

edit: ah, you meant "looked removed and then stays and only changes back to miserable skies after being in trader.". Hmmm

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

"looked removed and then stays and only changes back to miserable skies after being in trader.". Hmmm

Here. Take a look. These links are the same video. The first one is me entering the snow biome and the second is me entering Trader Hugh's shop. I think you can actually start seeing it kick back in right about when he's done talking. And then when I go back outside you can really see the difference.