New group looking to play 7 days, some thoughts.

I have a video, it isn't any big deal, but it gives me a basis for moving forward (I really want version 1.0 to start after I have time to learn how post video files), and Like SpaceX, I need to get feedback on my initial vids.  How do I post a video?  Does it work just like a screenshot?  Or does it need more effort to include?  I'm, thinking to make a 60 second video of some very limited topics, like where I spend my skill points, and why.  Or several shorts of base layout/dimensions, and why.

So, do I post a video like a still image, or what?

2 hours ago, WarMongerian said:

So, do I post a video like a still image, or what?

Depends a little; the forum itself won't be doing distribution for your videos, so you'll need to upload it "somewhere else". If that was already obvious to you, then pasting a link to your video will create a preview / embed - for recognized and compatible sites at least..

On 5/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, theFlu said:

Depends a little; the forum itself won't be doing distribution for your videos, so you'll need to upload it "somewhere else". If that was already obvious to you, then pasting a link to your video will create a preview / embed - for recognized and compatible sites at least..

Great!  That is what I needed.  So I can just link the videos locations in my weekly threads?  I know that there is something called "The Cloud", and I guess this is where I need to upload my videos?

19 minutes ago, WarMongerian said:

I know that there is something called "The Cloud", and I guess this is where I need to upload my videos?

Oh boi, how serious are you right now...? If serious, well, welcome to the internet! :D

"The cloud" is ... a colloquial to describe "someone else's computer is storing this for me". For your video uploads, IF their owners didn't consider my race a hate crime, I'd suggest youtube. But as things are what they are, I might suggest using rumble or odysee; or any of the host of YT-alternatives. You'll need to make an account, and how all of that works will depend on the service..

8 hours ago, theFlu said:

Oh boi, how serious are you right now...? If serious, well, welcome to the internet! :D

"The cloud" is ... a colloquial to describe "someone else's computer is storing this for me". For your video uploads, IF their owners didn't consider my race a hate crime, I'd suggest youtube. But as things are what they are, I might suggest using rumble or odysee; or any of the host of YT-alternatives. You'll need to make an account, and how all of that works will depend on the service..

Yep, I have never used off-computer storage for video files, at least not for 7DTD.  So Image Shack and YT are part of "The Cloud" then?  I have a dim memory of reading the I could post stuff (screenshot's) to the cloud, but all that that really meant was just uploading things to some hosting site?  I'm starting to realise I don't have a grasp of modern times computer jargon wise, lol.

I honestly don't have a clue if your meaning 'rumble' or that is a misspelled joke for a site that could be used to host videos from in game play.  I already tried to make a brief video with audio commentary, but the content was about as bad as you would expect from someone doing this for the first time, the voice over was not something I can make better, as sometimes (Like when tired), I tend to slur my speech, not to having to much to drink, but as a permanent condition.  The first time I had this difficulty was after the first stroke, but it went away after a little while, but the more recent one has left me in a halfway state, where I can talk right most of the time when not tired, but slurring my speech when I have done to much since my last nap.

Anyway, I'll start looking into an off-site storage place for my videos, and just to clarify, when I do get the things uploaded, I'll be using the "Other Media" button to post the links here to this forum?

Really looking forward to getting this started well before Retail comes along and I have to learn things from scratch again.

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, WarMongerian said:

So Image Shack and YT are part of "The Cloud" then?  I have a dim memory of reading the I could post stuff (screenshot's) to the cloud, but all that that really meant was just uploading things to some hosting site?

Kinda yes; you've got the gist. There's public sites like youtube, that will deliver the content to everyone; then there's private systems like when your apple devices upload things that you can use between your own devices privately.

I honestly don't have a clue if your meaning 'rumble' or that is a misspelled joke

I mean, it's a legit site, rumble.com; but it isn't wrong to call it a joke either, everything on the webs seems to be named as a joke since the dotcom boom ... :D

rumble.com, odysee.com are a couple sites that will happily host your vids. And if you're not faffed about creating a following there, they're just fine.

when I do get the things uploaded, I'll be using the "Other Media" button to post the links here to this forum?

This is what appears when I paste just the address from youtube, JaWoodle's latest 7dtd video (direct copy-paste of the address bar, as text into this text field):

I'd assume that'll suffice? :)

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

I got the experience of making and posting videos, now I need to keep going and turn disjointed play/posting into viable threads.  The only way I can learn how to do this is by doing this, so my 4th weekly thread/game is going to start being played a day early.  The thread can be seen here:

I am slowly learning how to post/publish videos, still need to learn editing skills, and of course writing some fiction to mostly fit the facts of my gameplay is still a work in progress.  Looking for advice on making short videos, and what a good video needs to show.