replacing 1st person melee mesh/animation?

so after 230 hours of exclusively punching zombies, the steel knuckles mesh is no longer as funny as it once was and i want to replace it with something less annoying/obtrusive. i was thinking of just replacing it with the leather knuckles mesh since i like the animations better anyway, but i have no idea how to do that and haven't found a straightforward guide. is this something that can be done with a simple xml edit, and if so, can someone walk me through it?

thanks!

thanks a ton! i fooled around a little (i couldn't get the remove/insert commands to work so i just used "set", which seemed to work fine) and i'm halfway there, quite literally - i'm currently rocking leather knuckles on my right hand and the steel knuckles mesh on my left. both using the leather animations, at least.

i see that there's a bit in the xml with a triggered effect that seems to cause the left hand to equip its own mesh, but my modding knowledge is limited to copying and pasting, so i've no clue how to swap the left hand mesh. here's that snippet from the steel knuckles:

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStart" action="AddPart" part="LeftKnuckles" prefab="@:Other/Items/Weapons/Melee/Knuckles/knucklesSpikedLeft_Prefab.prefab" parentTransform="Propjoint" localPos="0,0,0" localRot="0,0,0">
			<requirement name="IsFPV"/>
		</triggered_effect>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStart" action="AddPart" part="LeftKnuckles" prefab="@:Other/Items/Weapons/Melee/Knuckles/knucklesSpikedLeft_Prefab.prefab" parentTransform="LeftHand" localPos="-0.1171,0.004,-0.0187" localRot="-30.53241,-11.3179,135.1055">
			<requirement name="!IsFPV"/>
		</triggered_effect>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfEquipStop" action="RemovePart" part="LeftKnuckles"/>

again, i have absolutely zero knowledge here, so... should i use "set" again? and if so, how do i format that line? this section is different enough from the other code that my wild guessing and random attempts have so far yielded no results.

thanks again, you're an absolute superstar and i hope to someday possess one hundredth of your ability

To target a specific area, you can do this:

<set xpath="//item[@name='meleeWpnKnucklesT3SteelKnuckles']/effect_group/triggered_effect[1]">

When you look at the Steel Knuckles in the items file, the triggered_effect[1] would change the code on the first one listed.  [2] would change the code on the second one while [3] would change the 3rd one.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

oh thank you so much again!! that gave me enough to fix my issue, i actually wanted to replace both, but i was missing the /effect_group/ section because i'm a dope and couldn't wrap my head around the xpath formatting. thank you again, every time i use my new knuckle wraps to punch a zombie so hard their head explodes i'll think of you and your kindness