Changing existing loot/trader lists?

I want to make two changes for a mod I'm still working on.

The first shouldn't be too hard - I just need to add the bucket to more containers and lootgroups so it comes up more commonly. The only thing I'm not sure of is when numeric odds are inserted - is it better practice to just add the bucket to more containers, or should I directly alter the chance to find it as well? I'm still not 100% on lootgroups. Also if I ONLY add an item to a lootgroup, it dilutes the pool for that container, right? So if you have an X chance of finding something from some lootgroup, adding another item to that lootgroup means all preexisting items on that list will have a slightly reduced chance of coming up, correct?

The more important thing I need to figure out is how to remove certain specific items from the trader's inventory (mainly the water purifier), but ONLY early game. I want a common item to be changed so that it's a possible T2 quest reward, appears rarely once your gamestage roughly corresponds to doing T3 quests, and appear uncommonly from T4 onward. I thought there would be increased-difficulty mods out there which did this and which I could look at for code, but oddly I haven't actually found any so far? How the heck do I code this?

12 hours ago, FramFramson said:

The first shouldn't be too hard - I just need to add the bucket to more containers and lootgroups so it comes up more commonly. The only thing I'm not sure of is when numeric odds are inserted - is it better practice to just add the bucket to more containers, or should I directly alter the chance to find it as well? I'm still not 100% on lootgroups. Also if I ONLY add an item to a lootgroup, it dilutes the pool for that container, right? So if you have an X chance of finding something from some lootgroup, adding another item to that lootgroup means all preexisting items on that list will have a slightly reduced chance of coming up, correct?

Correct.  Adding another item to an existing lootgroup would change the chances for everything in that loot group, but that would depend on the probabilities.  When I do some changes to the loot tables, I make an educated guess where I want the probability at and then playtest it.

It depends on what you want to do.  I made changes to the brand crates in game so that they would always drop one skill magazine from the custom crafting magazines for that crate and then added a chance to drop 1-2 more magazines.  In order to do that, I set the crate to count=all.  Then I had the first lootgroup set at count=1 and that was only for skill magazines.  Then the second lootgroup was set to count=1,2 and I put the skill magazine loot group in it as one of the potential choices.  I believe I set it's priority to med or medHigh.  So when I loot a crate, I will get at least one pick from each loot group (so 1 magazine guaranteed) and depending on my luck on the second loot group I might get anywhere from 0-2 additional crafting magazines.

12 hours ago, FramFramson said:

IThe more important thing I need to figure out is how to remove certain specific items from the trader's inventory (mainly the water purifier), but ONLY early game. I want a common item to be changed so that it's a possible T2 quest reward, appears rarely once your gamestage roughly corresponds to doing T3 quests, and appear uncommonly from T4 onward. I thought there would be increased-difficulty mods out there which did this and which I could look at for code, but oddly I haven't actually found any so far? How the heck do I code this?

For quest rewards, they are handled differently.  In the quest file, you will see

<reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestSchematics" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestResources" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo,groupQuestResources,groupQuestMods,groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle" ischosen="true" value="1"/>

So the reward item is actually a loot item and the value determines the level of the loot you get (so each tier is basically a value between 1-6).  For the item you are talking about, it would be in the following loot group

<lootgroup name="groupQuestMods">
    <item group="groupModAllT1" loot_prob_template="QuestT1Prob"/>
    <item group="groupModAllT2" loot_prob_template="QuestT2Prob"/>
    <item group="groupModAllT3" loot_prob_template="QuestT2Prob"/>
    <item group="groupModAllT3" loot_prob_template="QuestT3Prob"/>
</lootgroup>

The water purifier is in the armor mod group, T2, so you won't see it as a reward at T1/T2 quests, but higher ones it would drop (0.35 prob at T3 and 0.65 prob at T4, 0 at T5 and higher).  

If you look at the groupModAllT2, you will note that they gave the armor T2 mod group a probability of 2.2 while the others don't have one (so they default to prob=1).  That means in the mods T2 All group, the armor group has a 44% chance of being picked from while the other groups are each 19%.

Simply removing the prob=2.2 (and reduce it down to 1) would drop the chance of getting an item from the armor group from 44 % to 20%.  To customize it even more, you might have to create a new loot group for it and create a custom quest loot probability table based on the odds you want to see.  As an example:

<lootprobtemplate name="QuestWaterPurProb">
        <loot level="1" prob="0"/>
        <loot level="2" prob="0.25"/>
        <loot level="3" prob="0.15"/>
        <loot level="4" prob="0.05"/>
        <loot level="5,7" prob="0"/>
    </lootprobtemplate>

12 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Correct.  Adding another item to an existing lootgroup would change the chances for everything in that loot group, but that would depend on the probabilities.  When I do some changes to the loot tables, I make an educated guess where I want the probability at and then playtest it.

It depends on what you want to do.  I made changes to the brand crates in game so that they would always drop one skill magazine from the custom crafting magazines for that crate and then added a chance to drop 1-2 more magazines.  In order to do that, I set the crate to count=all.  Then I had the first lootgroup set at count=1 and that was only for skill magazines.  Then the second lootgroup was set to count=1,2 and I put the skill magazine loot group in it as one of the potential choices.  I believe I set it's priority to med or medHigh.  So when I loot a crate, I will get at least one pick from each loot group (so 1 magazine guaranteed) and depending on my luck on the second loot group I might get anywhere from 0-2 additional crafting magazines.

For quest rewards, they are handled differently.  In the quest file, you will see

<reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestSchematics" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestMods" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestResources" ischosen="true" value="1"/>
        <reward type="LootItem" id="groupQuestAmmo,groupQuestResources,groupQuestMods,groupQuestT1SkillMagazineBundle" ischosen="true" value="1"/>

So the reward item is actually a loot item and the value determines the level of the loot you get (so each tier is basically a value between 1-6).  For the item you are talking about, it would be in the following loot group

<lootgroup name="groupQuestMods">
    <item group="groupModAllT3" loot_prob_template="QuestT2Prob"/>
    <item group="groupModAllT3" loot_prob_template="QuestT3Prob"/>
</lootgroup>

The water purifier is in the armor mod group, T2, so you won't see it as a reward at T1/T2 quests, but higher ones it would drop (0.35 prob at T3 and 0.65 prob at T4, 0 at T5 and higher).  

If you look at the groupModAllT2, you will note that they gave the armor T2 mod group a probability of 2.2 while the others don't have one (so they default to prob=1).  That means in the mods T2 All group, the armor group has a 44% chance of being picked from while the other groups are each 19%.

Simply removing the prob=2.2 (and reduce it down to 1) would drop the chance of getting an item from the armor group from 44 % to 20%.  To customize it even more, you might have to create a new loot group for it and create a custom quest loot probability table based on the odds you want to see.  As an example:

<lootprobtemplate name="QuestWaterPurProb">
        <loot level="1" prob="0"/>
        <loot level="2" prob="0.25"/>
        <loot level="3" prob="0.15"/>
        <loot level="4" prob="0.05"/>
        <loot level="5,7" prob="0"/>
    </lootprobtemplate>

Pretty good so far. How about the removal from trader inventories but only up to a certain stage sot hat it's not available for regular purchase? 

Also I plan on changing (increasing) the price. Does that affect the probability on quest reward tables?

Posted (edited)

Oh and as for the lootgroup question, I can see situations where I would want to add an item specifically to dilute the pool (in another mod I'm fiddling with, I want there to be more garbage-y food items besides just rotten meat and sham sandwiches), but in others I can see wanting to make sure it's additive and not reducing existing droprates. In those cases you would add a new lootgroup, correct? So the original lootgroup chances for a given container are unchanged but now there's an additional possibility of finding something from the new lootgroup?

As far as the water mod goes, I'm planning on adding buckets to a great many containers. I don't think dilution will be a huge issue as I'm shooting for them to be roughly as easy to find as cooking pots, which are probably uncommon enough to not flood the containers I'm targeting.

Then again, I'm not sure if altering the lootgroups that buckets are currently part of is a better idea than adding a new lootgroup just for additional buckets.

EDIT: Spent some time going through all the lootgroups, and am putting together alterations I hope to add for that aspect of the mod, adding buckets to some lootgroups, but also directly to some containers, making them variously available in sinks, garage and farm containers, firetrucks, and irregularly in a couple other places (e.g. dumpsters). Hopefully this will work out well enough for them to be available in (mostly) intuitive locations and in sufficient quantities/frequency.

Edited by FramFramson (see edit history)

22 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Pretty good so far. How about the removal from trader inventories but only up to a certain stage sot hat it's not available for regular purchase? 

Also I plan on changing (increasing) the price. Does that affect the probability on quest reward tables?

Price doesn't affect quest reward tables or trader stages when it is offered.

For trader stage, that is handled by assigning it a trader stage template in the items or item_modifier file

<item_modifier name="modArmorWaterPurifier" installable_tags="armorHead" modifier_tags="waterPurifier" blocked_tags="noMods" type="attachment">
        <property name="Extends" value="modGeneralMaster" param1="CustomIcon"/>
        <property name="UnlockedBy" value="modArmorWaterPurifierSchematic"/>
        <property name="TraderStageTemplate" value="modsTier2"/>
        <property name="Material" value="Msteel"/>

In the trader file, you see this template stage as 

<traderstage_template name="modsTier1" min="1" max="999999" />
        <traderstage_template name="modsTier2" min="25" max="999999" />
        <traderstage_template name="modsTier3" min="55" max="999999" />

so for the game, it is available from stage 25 and on.  To customize it, you could create a custom stage for it and limit how long it would be available

<traderstage_template name="modsTier2Mod" min="25" max="55" />

21 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Oh and as for the lootgroup question, I can see situations where I would want to add an item specifically to dilute the pool (in another mod I'm fiddling with, I want there to be more garbage-y food items besides just rotten meat and sham sandwiches), but in others I can see wanting to make sure it's additive and not reducing existing droprates. In those cases you would add a new lootgroup, correct? So the original lootgroup chances for a given container are unchanged but now there's an additional possibility of finding something from the new lootgroup?

Correct

So, I have the bucket boil code done (recipe, cooking function, bundle, etc.) because it's being lifted wholesale from an existing mod (with author's permission).

Working on just getting the bucket loot setup now and will move on to water filters/trader changes next.

Not sure if this is all correct? Almost 100% sure the syntax is wrong for changing the item # in farm trucks from '2' to '2,3', but not sure what the correct line is there. If I'm missing other errors, I'm not as sure.

For utility carts I forced it to be additive so as not to decrease the already low chances of finding acid, but in all the other cases (except Farm Trucks) I figure dilution isn't a huge problem, since I'm mostly competing with junk or low-end items. 

<config>

<!-- *** base lootgroups --> 
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupUtilityItems']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="low"/>
	</append>	
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupCookingTools']">
	</append>	

<!-- *** specific containers --> 
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupPigTrough01']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="med"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupSinks01']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="medHigh"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupDumpster']">
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupGarage02']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="med"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupUtilityCart']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" count="1" loot_prob_template="high" force_prob="true"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupConstructionCrate01']">
	</append>

<!-- *** wrecked workbenches --> 
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupWorkbenchLoot02']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupChemistryStationLoot02']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty"/>
	</append>

<!-- *** vehicle loot --> 
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupFireTruck01']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="high"/>
	</append>
	<append xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupFarmTruck01']">
		<item name="bucketEmpty" loot_prob_template="high"/>
	</append>

<set xpath="/lootcontainers/lootgroup[@name='groupFarmTruck']> 
		<item group=[@name='groupFarmTruck01'] count="2,3"/>
		<set/>

</config>

10 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Not sure if this is all correct? Almost 100% sure the syntax is wrong for changing the item # in farm trucks from '2' to '2,3', but not sure what the correct line is there. If I'm missing other errors, I'm not as sure.

Your last line syntax is what is wrong.

If you are doing a set command, it should look something like

<set xpath="//lootgroup[@name='groupFarmTruck']/item[@group='groupFarmTruck01']/@count">2,3</set>

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Your last line syntax is what is wrong.

If you are doing a set command, it should look something like

<set xpath="//lootgroup[@name='groupFarmTruck']/item[@group='groupFarmTruck01']/@count">2,3</set>

Ah that's it. I knew it was something like that but for some reason when I was searching through all my mods for a reference I couldn't find a good 'set' command altering lootgroups in that way to use for guidance. I'm just one one of those apes doing copycat moves when it comes to this stuff, haha.

The other thing I was worried about was if it was more appropriate to use an insert instruction rather than an append at any point. I think I understand the difference between the two (the line about "being in the last train car vs chasing the train"), but although I've read the 7D tutorial blob a few times, I've never quite grasped when or if you want to use insert over append in situations when they'll both seemingly do the same thing, as with my loot changes above.

Looking at adding buckets to traders or improving their odds, the current chance is:

<!-- *** General_Resources -->
		<trader_item_group name="generalResources">
			<item name="bucketEmpty" prob="0.6"/>
		</trader_item_group>

So, should I be altering this line using the set command? Perhaps to prob "1" and count "1,2" or should I remove it and append it as a new line because I'm adding an additional function (count)?

If the first, I think the correct implementation to get a a 100% chance would be:

<set xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']/item[@item name='bucketEmpty']/@prob">1</set>

Is that correct in this case? Where would I add the count?

Alternately should I be adding this elsewhere? Reason I ask is because one really weird thing I noticed is that each Trader as their own default guaranteed item lists, but they ALWAYS include exactly "1,3" cooking pots and grills, and I'm not sure why that was entered for each trader separately and not part of the universal trader groups? 

Going back to the items and the instructions you gave above for restricting "resourceWaterFilterwater" filters from the early game, I noticed that water filters are available the same way as cookware: as guaranteed items added in the specific trader lists in spite of each list having identical numbers for sale. I could individually <remove/> all five of those lines, but is there a way I can do it for all traders without going through and manually making an entry for each trader individually? Not only is that more efficient, I'd like to future- and mod- proof the mod (to an extent) by restricting all traders, such that any potential new traders added in future by TFP or via mods will also be covered.

After removing it, I would probably add it back to the universal group via

<append xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']">
  	<item name="resourceWaterFilterwater" count="1,3"/>

And then also going back to items and appending

<append xpath="//item[@name='resourceWaterFilterwater']">
	<property name="TraderStageTemplate" value="baseTier2"/>

baseTier2 is stage 50 which should be okay, I think? As you mentioned I can add a new stage (around 40, perhaps?) if I want to be a little more flexible. But one thing I'm not sure about is that I initially want it to only be available in lower quantities when it first appears, so maybe a .75 chance for 1, then later on you get 1-2 and finally 3-5.

Oh and for your instructions about about lootgroups for quests, I noticed you used the purifier mod, not the actual water filter. I can probably suss out the code based on what you gave me, but it would fall into the resources category rather than mods, in the armour group. So I'd have to twiddle the percentages in there.

Just working on the bit of the mod related to quests. So for removing the filters from the T1 quest reward pool, I think this is the correct code?

Relevant vanilla section:

<quest id="quest_tier1complete">
      [quest property stuff]
<reward type="Item" id="resourceWaterFilter" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="2"/>

Correct xpath to remove that?

<remove xpath="//quest[@id='quest_tier1complete']/reward/type[@item='resourceWaterFilter']"/>

If that's correct, I can probably append something like the original line that to the T3 quest options, or else go with one of the options BFT suggested to offer a graded chance from T3 on up. Can't seem to figure out what the 'value' refers to as I don't think it's actually quantity, but the plaintext description in the vanilla quest.xml file is kinda unclear to me.

Once this is done, I can toss the mod up for playtesting!

9 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Just working on the bit of the mod related to quests. So for removing the filters from the T1 quest reward pool, I think this is the correct code?

Relevant vanilla section:

<quest id="quest_tier1complete">
      [quest property stuff]
<reward type="Item" id="resourceWaterFilter" ischosen="true" isfixed="true" value="2"/>

Correct xpath to remove that?

<remove xpath="//quest[@id='quest_tier1complete']/reward/type[@item='resourceWaterFilter']"/>

If that's correct, I can probably append something like the original line that to the T3 quest options, or else go with one of the options BFT suggested to offer a graded chance from T3 on up. Can't seem to figure out what the 'value' refers to as I don't think it's actually quantity, but the plaintext description in the vanilla quest.xml file is kinda unclear to me.

Once this is done, I can toss the mod up for playtesting!

Nope it should be below.  Each / mark indicates a node.  So // tells it to go to the specified node regardless of what is in front of it, quest/ would be the quest node identified in id, and /reward would be the next node inside quest to find the specific reward you want to remove.  Type is an attribute of that reward node, but if you added /type like you have in your code, it is going down another node looking.

Where you want the game to go location wise

quest

reward

What you were telling the game to go location wise

quest

reward

type

If that makes sense

<remove xpath="//quest[@id='quest_tier1complete']/reward[@id='resourceWaterFilter']"/>
Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

On 1/6/2024 at 5:20 PM, FramFramson said:

Ah that's it. I knew it was something like that but for some reason when I was searching through all my mods for a reference I couldn't find a good 'set' command altering lootgroups in that way to use for guidance. I'm just one one of those apes doing copycat moves when it comes to this stuff, haha.

The other thing I was worried about was if it was more appropriate to use an insert instruction rather than an append at any point. I think I understand the difference between the two (the line about "being in the last train car vs chasing the train"), but although I've read the 7D tutorial blob a few times, I've never quite grasped when or if you want to use insert over append in situations when they'll both seemingly do the same thing, as with my loot changes above.

Looking at adding buckets to traders or improving their odds, the current chance is:

<!-- *** General_Resources -->
		<trader_item_group name="generalResources">
			<item name="bucketEmpty" prob="0.6"/>
		</trader_item_group>

So, should I be altering this line using the set command? Perhaps to prob "1" and count "1,2" or should I remove it and append it as a new line because I'm adding an additional function (count)?

If the first, I think the correct implementation to get a a 100% chance would be:

<set xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']/item[@item name='bucketEmpty']/@prob">1</set>

Is that correct in this case? Where would I add the count?

If you still need answers.....

That should work. Then to add count, you would do something like:

<setAttribute xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']/item[@item name='bucketEmpty'] name="count">1,2</setAttribute>

That command will add the new attribute to that node and assign the value also.

Alternately should I be adding this elsewhere? Reason I ask is because one really weird thing I noticed is that each Trader as their own default guaranteed item lists, but they ALWAYS include exactly "1,3" cooking pots and grills, and I'm not sure why that was entered for each trader separately and not part of the universal trader groups? 

It allows trader customization which might have  been looked at one point but then they made everyone the same.  At that point, they just got to make sure each trader code is the same.

Going back to the items and the instructions you gave above for restricting "resourceWaterFilterwater" filters from the early game, I noticed that water filters are available the same way as cookware: as guaranteed items added in the specific trader lists in spite of each list having identical numbers for sale. I could individually <remove/> all five of those lines, but is there a way I can do it for all traders without going through and manually making an entry for each trader individually? Not only is that more efficient, I'd like to future- and mod- proof the mod (to an extent) by restricting all traders, such that any potential new traders added in future by TFP or via mods will also be covered.

After removing it, I would probably add it back to the universal group via

<append xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']">
  	<item name="resourceWaterFilterwater" count="1,3"/>

And then also going back to items and appending

<append xpath="//item[@name='resourceWaterFilterwater']">
	<property name="TraderStageTemplate" value="baseTier2"/>

Easiest way to remove all with one line

<remove xpath="//item[@name='resourceWaterFilter']"/>

baseTier2 is stage 50 which should be okay, I think? As you mentioned I can add a new stage (around 40, perhaps?) if I want to be a little more flexible. But one thing I'm not sure about is that I initially want it to only be available in lower quantities when it first appears, so maybe a .75 chance for 1, then later on you get 1-2 and finally 3-5.

Oh and for your instructions about about lootgroups for quests, I noticed you used the purifier mod, not the actual water filter. I can probably suss out the code based on what you gave me, but it would fall into the resources category rather than mods, in the armour group. So I'd have to twiddle the percentages in there.

You will find as you playtest where you need to put it.

That's a common thing I do.  I read one thing and my mind goes a different direction.  As long as the code structure I gave you is correct, then you can modify it to target what you want specifically.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

If you still need answers.....

Some of those Sphereii helped me out with, like the removal.

For adding them back I have

<setattribute xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']/item[@name='bucketEmpty']" name="count">1,3</setattribute>

So the second bracket set needs to be @item name= and not @item=  ? Or does that not make a difference?

Anyway, I updated quest.xml with the correct path, as well the other fixes and adding in the snowball recipes.

40 minutes ago, FramFramson said:

Some of those Sphereii helped me out with, like the removal.

For adding them back I have

<setattribute xpath="//trader_item_group[@name='generalResources']/item[@name='bucketEmpty']" name="count">1,3</setattribute>

So the second bracket set needs to be @item name= and not @item=  ? Or does that not make a difference?

Anyway, I updated quest.xml with the correct path, as well the other fixes and adding in the snowball recipes.

No that was an copy / paste error on my part.  What you have above is correct and what I should have verified that I had.  I copied what you had and then modified, but forgot to remove the extra @item name I had in it.  That gets me all the time when I code.  I will copy existing code from another location and paste it to make modifications, then I forget to change something like an item to a group or item to block.  Good thing the game does the logging and gives you an error message when you try to load it up.

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

No that was an copy / paste error on my part.  What you have above is correct and what I should have verified that I had.  I copied what you had and then modified, but forgot to remove the extra @item name I had in it.  That gets me all the time when I code.  I will copy existing code from another location and paste it to make modifications, then I forget to change something like an item to a group or item to block.  Good thing the game does the logging and gives you an error message when you try to load it up.

All good, no worries!

Glad it's more or less done, other than maybe twiddling with quests or tweaking settings in response to feedback.

Now to (hopefully) hear about the more amorphous aspects of the mod, how it "feels" to play, etc. etc.  I've enjoyed using the bucket/boil system myself, with a number of the features in this mod as well, but I was willingly doing a few things which hadn't been added, like not buying water filters. It's nice to share the concept as a full package rather than as some incomplete half-system.

We know a lot of players don't like A21's water system (I don't mind it all that much, but I do think it feels a bit silly at times), so I'm curious how many will be interested in this as an alternate.