Make my own mods?

lordneg

49 minutes ago, lordneg said:

would I find this text it in the loot files

Yes, loot.xml located in [your install paty]/7 Days To Die/Data/Config on my system, if you are on windows it's probably \7 Days To Die\Data\Config\loot.xml but more importantly if you are going to program/mod then you need to come up with tools and systems to help you locate and edit files. But it's a very bad idea to edit loot.xml directly. Instead download a simple mod, put it in /7 Days To Die/Mods then reference the structure typically you have /Mods/NameOfMod/ModInfo.xml that establishes the mod name and author etc. and then you will also have /Mods/NameOfMod/Config and that's where you put your code. If you want to update the loot table, you have to create a file called loot.xml. If you want to have a new recipe, you put it in recipes.xml.

If you don't do it this way, and Steam or somehow your game gets updated, you will likely have all your work overwritten aka destroyed. You reference the vanilla files to figure out how the game does what it does, then you do your manipulations in your xml files in the ../Mods/NameOfMod/Config folder.

So just a bit more info for you. In my opinion you need a good and fast way to locate files that contain the text/string you are looking for. I think Windows file manager will do it, but it seemed a bit slow if I recall correctly. There might be a handy app out there that is quicker. Next you need a text editor, a lot of Windows folks use notepad+ I think they call it. I've used Sublime but it's nagware.

18 minutes ago, usHallgrim said:

Yes, loot.xml located in [your install paty]/7 Days To Die/Data/Config on my system, if you are on windows it's probably \7 Days To Die\Data\Config\loot.xml but more importantly if you are going to program/mod then you need to come up with tools and systems to help you locate and edit files. But it's a very bad idea to edit loot.xml directly. Instead download a simple mod, put it in /7 Days To Die/Mods then reference the structure typically you have /Mods/NameOfMod/ModInfo.xml that establishes the mod name and author etc. and then you will also have /Mods/NameOfMod/Config and that's where you put your code. If you want to update the loot table, you have to create a file called loot.xml. If you want to have a new recipe, you put it in recipes.xml.

If you don't do it this way, and Steam or somehow your game gets updated, you will likely have all your work overwritten aka destroyed. You reference the vanilla files to figure out how the game does what it does, then you do your manipulations in your xml files in the ../Mods/NameOfMod/Config folder.

So just a bit more info for you. In my opinion you need a good and fast way to locate files that contain the text/string you are looking for. I think Windows file manager will do it, but it seemed a bit slow if I recall correctly. There might be a handy app out there that is quicker. Next you need a text editor, a lot of Windows folks use notepad+ I think they call it. I've used Sublime but it's nagware.

thanks. I have been watching some you tube videos a person above posted here, so far the videos have been very informative. :) I got a few tools that was recommended in the videos. thanks for the help I am hoping to be able to learn this, it was daunting at first, but now it seems help is available. :) 

Some of us like to create a new folder and add additional versions of the game there so we can make sure they don't get overwritten by Steam.

Of course you have to have the room but I find it works fairly well. I can fiddle with the game and not screw up my vanilla version.

There were times I could have 8 -10 versions of 7 Days on my drive. :)

I added new ssd so only have the 4 right now.

image.png.34745bed97df2456b7de1af27294f4a6.png

18 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Some of us like to create a new folder and add additional versions of the game there so we can make sure they don't get overwritten by Steam.

Of course you have to have the room but I find it works fairly well. I can fiddle with the game and not screw up my vanilla version.

There were times I could have 8 -10 versions of 7 Days on my drive. :)

I added new ssd so only have the 4 right now.

image.png.34745bed97df2456b7de1af27294f4a6.png

I have two version on mine right now too. one is my normal game the other was for a server I was playing on that had mods I had to DL in order to play on, that server went south. I should probably mess around in that file. although I have not messed around in the orginal game files. I opened them up and looked inside. I can sort of see how it work, sort of haha

If you are both are looking for someplace to really learn about modding I can suggest here if you have discord.

A crapload of the big modders are on there and will help if asked. There are sections for different modding help  and even channels modders have for help with their own mods they have made.

discord.gg/WpVPJWj7Xk

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

If you are both are looking for someplace to really learn about modding I can suggest here if you have discord.

Bless those brave souls that venture into the discordance of Discord. Not a big fan. But, I probably should go over there if that's a place to get help because I need a lot of it. 😅

2 hours ago, usHallgrim said:

Bless those brave souls that venture into the discordance of Discord. Not a big fan. But, I probably should go over there if that's a place to get help because I need a lot of it. 😅

lol, yeah. Well it is a pretty good place. Lot of the modders are there and I suspect the largest part of the membership are from this forum.