(age old) Suggestion: Zombie ColoringVariation

c33tz

I know... I know ... this has probably been brought up 9001 times before in 9001 different ways.

I just wanted to bring it back up in relation to how good things have gotten cosmetically with the Dye system and setting colour-varying masks, not just entire items/objects/clothes changing a solid color with dyes [which woudl just look weird on zombies].

I think with this same approach, AND making it an OPTIONAL setting in the Graphics settings (as I assume it'd tax RAM and such to load/log "dyes" attached to each entity), by masking at least the shirts or some single major/dominant portion of clothing and picking 3-6 hand-picked dyes that can randomly be attached when a Zombie is spawned, would add that (much) demanded diversity, but not give up to rich/awesome details of all the new high-res zombie models to date.

This would only apply to certain zombies where it makes sense [don't think I care what colour a Spider's shorts are ; but I would love to see something like cocktail dresses in black[as-is], gold, white, red or blue ; maybe hazmat suits in bright orange, white, and yellow] 

To go a step beyond, maybe also make it also a toggleable option due to potential performance hits, but a 2nd dye slot could apply to hair for appropriate zombies as well: blonde, brunette, redhead, black. [for zombies that ...well have visible/any hair lol]

Setting like: Graphics -> Zombie Colour Variation: Off; Clothing Only; Clothing & Hair

I think hand picking colours for the dyes is key to not have ridiculously over saturated outputs, and to make it make sense for the appropriate zombies, but even 3-4 variations of collared shirts, t-shirts (Hawaiian shirts?) and the works would make a surprisingly diverse and appealing palette to the world all-around.

Age old request, sorry, but I think the tech is FINALLY close to making this dream come true -- overall great kudos to TFP and all the amazing stuff they've accomplished -- it's insane thinking back and lookback on the number of game changing overhauls  in gameplay, graphics, etc. and they never ever disappoint!

On 7/23/2023 at 2:33 PM, c33tz said:

I know... I know ... this has probably been brought up 9001 times before in 9001 different ways.

I just wanted to bring it back up in relation to how good things have gotten cosmetically with the Dye system and setting colour-varying masks, not just entire items/objects/clothes changing a solid color with dyes [which woudl just look weird on zombies].

I think with this same approach, AND making it an OPTIONAL setting in the Graphics settings (as I assume it'd tax RAM and such to load/log "dyes" attached to each entity), by masking at least the shirts or some single major/dominant portion of clothing and picking 3-6 hand-picked dyes that can randomly be attached when a Zombie is spawned, would add that (much) demanded diversity, but not give up to rich/awesome details of all the new high-res zombie models to date.

This would only apply to certain zombies where it makes sense [don't think I care what colour a Spider's shorts are ; but I would love to see something like cocktail dresses in black[as-is], gold, white, red or blue ; maybe hazmat suits in bright orange, white, and yellow] 

To go a step beyond, maybe also make it also a toggleable option due to potential performance hits, but a 2nd dye slot could apply to hair for appropriate zombies as well: blonde, brunette, redhead, black. [for zombies that ...well have visible/any hair lol]

Setting like: Graphics -> Zombie Colour Variation: Off; Clothing Only; Clothing & Hair

I think hand picking colours for the dyes is key to not have ridiculously over saturated outputs, and to make it make sense for the appropriate zombies, but even 3-4 variations of collared shirts, t-shirts (Hawaiian shirts?) and the works would make a surprisingly diverse and appealing palette to the world all-around.

Age old request, sorry, but I think the tech is FINALLY close to making this dream come true -- overall great kudos to TFP and all the amazing stuff they've accomplished -- it's insane thinking back and lookback on the number of game changing overhauls  in gameplay, graphics, etc. and they never ever disappoint!

They posted images of what they are working on for this on their Facebook page.  :)

Yeah, it looks like this is in the works, at least in the experimental phase.

One other thing I think would go a long way in giving the zombies more character is adding body type variants like thin vs heavy or male vs female. It would help a lot with variety, especially for themed zombies. By themed zombies I mean cops, construction workers, mechanics, lab workers, soldiers, etc. Obviously there are some whose sex and body type are what makes that zombie special like big mama, lumberjack and hawaiian shirt guy that it wouldn't necessarily make sense to add more variants.