I like the new progression...But.

Kashnar82

So, after playing for a while with several restarts for various reasons most of them being I tend to switch to one life to Live after the "Protection" drops off at lvl 6.  I would like to say the new system does a surprisingly good job of making progression seem more personal and getting you to emotionally invest into your build. However I have just one problem with the system witch can be best put as, to me, Mod's are more valuable then tiers. In other words there is no way I would trade a rank 5 leather set for a rank 1-4 military set unless I have been very unlucky with my mods and don't have enough to fill the slots.

The one Idea/suggestion I have would perhaps replace the lower grades with mod unlocks and have the tail end of crafting skill give the equipment its self. I will admit I can only really come up with the setup for armor: tier 1 would still be 1-5 armor but Tier 2 would be like: Bandler/Headlamp, Cooling/Heating Mesh, Impact boots/Custom fittings/Muffled Connecters , Leather/Iron armor rank 5. Tier 3 would be: Water purifier, Armor Pocket 1/Adv Muffled Connecters, AP 2/Adv custom fittings AP 3, Military and Steel Armor. This of course Just being a rough draft and not necessarily the exact order I would want to see it.

Of course there are a whole slew of mods for melee and ranged weapons but There is a lot of overlap so I see a problem with either A you end up still having to get unused skills to get everything or B some of the mods would have to overlap in were they are crafted.

So something I was planning on doing once A21 stable comes out was to incorporate the other recipes in magazine unlocks, including all the mods.  So thinking along the same line of thought you had (so scope unlocks tied to rifle crafting and clip extender / drum magazine to assault rifle crafting as an example).

I also do another thing that incentives me to move from lower tier gear to higher tier gear is removing mod slots from the lower gear equipment (so T0 has none, T1 is reduced to 2, T2 has 3 slots, and T3/T4 have all 4 slots).

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

So something I was planning on doing once A21 stable comes out was to incorporate the other recipes in magazine unlocks, including all the mods.  So thinking along the same line of thought you had (so scope unlocks tied to rifle crafting and clip extender / drum magazine to assault rifle crafting as an example).

I also do another thing that incentives me to move from lower tier gear to higher tier gear is removing mod slots from the lower gear equipment (so T0 has none, T1 is reduced to 2, T2 has 3 slots, and T3/T4 have all 4 slots).

So If I understand correctly you would no longer have mod slots tied to gear quality (1-6), Rather it would be tied to the Tier of gear: T1: Pipe--2 slots, T2First Tier Mechanical Guns 3 slots, T3 High Grade Guns 4 slots. I see that getting a lot of kick back when shown on paper like the Jars did, but playing out more naturally then it does now like what the crafting books have gone a long way towards doing that.

P.s the Handguns have a lot of items so what tier is the magnum and the vulture btw?

On 6/21/2023 at 2:26 PM, Kashnar82 said:

So If I understand correctly you would no longer have mod slots tied to gear quality (1-6), Rather it would be tied to the Tier of gear: T1: Pipe--2 slots, T2First Tier Mechanical Guns 3 slots, T3 High Grade Guns 4 slots. I see that getting a lot of kick back when shown on paper like the Jars did, but playing out more naturally then it does now like what the crafting books have gone a long way towards doing that.

P.s the Handguns have a lot of items so what tier is the magnum and the vulture btw?

Sorry for the late reply.

Magnum I treated like a T1 weapon (even though it is T2) while the Vulture and SMG were T3s (higher end).

Gear quality still is tied to mod slots, but I also made changes to those.  T0 were limited to 2 quality levels only and no slots.  T1 was limited to 3 quality levels, T2 was limited to 4 levels, and only the T3/T4 gear had all 6 levels.  Not sure if I go back to that though because at the end of working on my mod and playing it under A20, I also changed the mods themselves (like removing the flat damage increase for any mod - in A20, only mods I felt should increase damage did - so scopes didn't give you a damage boost, just helped with aiming).

I been playing strictly vanilla A21 so far to see what they have done with the game.  Some of the changes they made will affect how my mod plays out so I expect re-examining what I did in A20 and making adjustments in A21.