need help with scope modding

Pantstain

is it possible to set it up so when you equip a vanilla small scope you get a custom scope i made, then if you equip a vanilla medium scope you get a different custom scope model i made. same for large scope. been trying to work it out in xmls and in unity for a couple days and cant figure it out. anyone got a min to help me with how its supposed to be laid out? 

Yes. What you want to do is modify the properties of the vanilla scopes instead of creating new scopes.

Properties of scopes are listed in item_modifiers.xml. For example the x2 scope is defined beginning at the line "<item_modifier name="modGunScopeSmall" ..."

To change the data from a mod you need to use xpath commands "set" or "setAttribute" for example, see https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/7653-xpath-modding-explanation-thread

You only need unity if you also want to change the look of the scopes. Someone else has to help you with that but I would suggest providing more details what exactly you want to do.

yeah im changing the look of the scopes. the result im after is im adding custom guns, and want those guns to have custom scope models that are different for each size scope (like vanilla)...ive got the scopes built in unity already, and i can replace the vanilla small scope with my custom scope and get it working in game perfect, but im not sure how to do that with the other scopes as well. i can only get 1 scope to show up in game....not sure if ive got it wrong in the xmls or if you have to set it up a certain way in unity in the hierarchy. hope that explains it a bit better