Too much glossiness on paintable textures

bobrpggamer

• bobrpggamer changed the title to Too much glossiness on paintable textures
21 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Without trying it, I'd assume turning reflections off would solve that.  I don't remember if there are various levels of reflections or just on and off.

The more I think about it, the more I believe this to be a value in an .XML somewhere. Like adjusting the max-velocity for vehicle speed, but I have no clue where it would be. It may also be hard coded into a .dll or something that cannot be edited like an .XML.

I like having some reflections to make things look like they would in real life, but the glossiness of some textures is way too high. I have the reflections at Low right now but the difference in low and one higher makes no real difference.

Here's the (non) difference:

Reflections Low:

UB6fvnL.png

Reflections Medium:

a5m1tQq.png

Reflections High:

Rj62jq1.png

It makes no difference.

This is obviously a glossiness problem in the texture itself.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

Wouldnt consider that a problem as those are bathroom tiles, not ground tiles. But you'd have to manually edit the material of the paint texture. Those are in an atlas which is rather difficult to edit. There's only one mod that i know of that has done the work to allow changes to that atlas, but it requires code and everything. But yeah... no xml setting for a material's textures.

1 hour ago, Telric said:

Wouldnt consider that a problem as those are bathroom tiles, not ground tiles. But you'd have to manually edit the material of the paint texture. Those are in an atlas which is rather difficult to edit. There's only one mod that i know of that has done the work to allow changes to that atlas, but it requires code and everything. But yeah... no xml setting for a material's textures.

Thank you.

I love the look of the industrial tile texture, so I use it on my platforms. The problem is not that it looks off having that much specular gloss, its that I have boatloads of lights which I found makes a difference with certain textures. Example:

The standard concrete is flat matte and has no specular value (or very little). So when I shine 10 lights on them there is not a performance hit I have noticed.

The textures that have specular/glossy highlights do cost some FPS dips with 10 lights on them.

I get carried away with the lighting I know, but I thought that lowering the amount of certain textures to almost no specular/glossy highlights would save some FPS on the ridiculously overused lighting on my base.

I never thought of these tiles as bathroom tiles, they are the Industrial tile flooring, because they some cracks and are not perfect. I just love these tiles with my concrete walls, but yeah now that I think of it they look like bathroom tiles.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)