A few suggestions

Riamus

There are a couple more things I'd like to see added.

1) Other uses for brass.  I don't care what for, but unless you are using a ton of bullets and aren't looting enough casings, you quickly have way more brass than you have any use for and you find so much of it.  In a solo game, there simply isn't any reason to make casings except rarely unless you waste ammo or use a lot of SMG auto turrets.  I'm always maxed out in brass in my forge with a bunch waiting to be smelted.

2) I would like to see a new block similar to the 60 degree 1/2m wedge and the 60 degree wedge tip left/right.  The wedge tip is 1/8m.  What is like to see is 1/4m.  This came up in a tunnel I made.  I apparently can't dig straight and once I finished and went to put in walls, I had to use 60 degree angles because it went off at an angle instead of straight.  That was no problem. Using two 60 degree pieces made a wall that at least appeared straight.  However, I wanted steps into a side tunnel and the steps aren't angled.  Putting it in the wall left a 60 degree wedge gap on the floor, which didn't look good.  I ended up using the wedge tip, which is okay, but I would rather a 1/4m wedge that was level with the first step in the steps instead of half height to the first step.

3) Probably too much to ask, but I'd love to see some of the most common furniture that you'd place against a wall be available with a plate wall piece behind them as part of the same block.  There are some POI that I'd like to make with plate walls instead of full block walls because it looks better, but if you need things placed on both sides of the wall, it doesn't work.  If some of the common furniture has a plate as part of the block, then it could work.  These would mainly be things like nightstands, beds, couches/sectionals, chairs.  It would need everything because you can work it out pretty well if you at least have the main ones.  Like I said, probably not going to see it, but it would be nice, especially for residential buildings.

4) Might also be nice to have an arch block or blocks that work on a 60 degree angled wall and perhaps a 45 degree angle as well, but that is more minor.  In the end, I should just learn to dig straight while underground. Lol. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Riamus said:

3) Probably too much to ask, but I'd love to see some of the most common furniture that you'd place against a wall be available with a plate wall piece behind them as part of the same block.  There are some POI that I'd like to make with plate walls instead of full block walls because it looks better, but if you need things placed on both sides of the wall, it doesn't work.  If some of the common furniture has a plate as part of the block, then it could work.  These would mainly be things like nightstands, beds, couches/sectionals, chairs.  It would need everything because you can work it out pretty well if you at least have the main ones.  Like I said, probably not going to see it, but it would be nice, especially for residential buildings.

I think this is a common issue, especially for POI creators or players who like to build in general. Other survival games allow you to freely place objects in the world without snapping them to a specific block. However, those aren't voxel worlds, and I think it would take a lot of coding to make a change like that. Technically it should be possible. We are already able to place vehicles and turrets freely in the world. I would think you could do the same with non-building blocks.

However, I don't see that ever happening in this game. It's just not a big priority and they want to get this game released.

Yeah, that is why I suggested just having an extra version of those including a plate as part of the object.  Rather than making a fundamental change to how the blocks work, it just adds some extra objects with the plate attached so it will work with a plate wall.

One other thing I'd also like to see would be the window blocks having versions that included glass of each type (regular, stained, etc).  If it is meant as a window, we should be able to have our choice of glass in it.  That includes round window blocks and triangular window blocks and any other blocks that are meant for use as windows (including the new windows that were mentioned as coming in A21).  I know we can fudge it by placing a piece of glass against the window block, but that only looks good in one direction.

Just look at the stained glass in the church POIs.  If the POI didn't let you get close to the window or you only see it from one direction, it is okay. But when you do see it from both directions up close, it looks bad from one direction.  I've seen this in a residential POI as well where the stained glass was above a door. From one direction it was nicely framed and looked great. From the other direction, it was just a flat piece of stain glass on the wall and looked really bad.  I don't fault the POI designer.  It's a limitation of the blocks and not the design.

Because this is a voxel world, you can't frame both sides of the glass unless you have a really deep window with the glass between two blocks and then frames added.  That really only works in something like a tower that you can't climb.  Close-ups just don't work that way without looking very odd.

The only option I can think of is having the glass already part of certain window blocks.  You could get away without glass in windows you want clear glass in, though having the glass would be nice.  But stained glass currently can't be used except in limited ways without looking bad from at least one direction.  Stained glass can look great and could really use a bit of love.

Can the 5m wood sign you can craft be fixed to allow stability to hold it up if you place blocks/pillars on the two ends?  You need more support than seems necessary for those signs.  I like how they look and want to use them raised up in the air, but I really don't like the look of the letters when you type something, so I prefer using the block letters on the sign, but that means I can't put support on the back of it because the back is where I need to place the block letters since the front would leave the letters floating.  If I put support on the front side, the sign is left floating.  But if I can put support on the two ends as I would if I made a similar sign out of blocks, then I can put block letters on the back and it will look really good.  Right now, trying to do so leaves the sign falling on the ground.

It appears that you don't earn experience from something you craft if you aren't actively viewing the crafting of it.  This also includes things like forging.  If you watch, you get experience if it allows experience, but if you leave and let it run on its own, you don't get any.  I think this should be changed to always give you the experience.  Or, if not, then remove the experience altogether.

Having started making POI, I noticed that sleeper volumes can be a pain to set in a tight space because they are square or rectangular.  In order to get the full area you want in a tight space, it could require having it go into another room where you don't want it because of this.  It would help if you could shape it how you want - cutting out notches, etc.  Obviously, it would still be based on blocks and not free draw.  An example in case you aren't sure what I mean... Picture a square room with an L-shaped room surrounding two of the walls.  If you want all zombies in the L-shaped room to trigger together, you would have to cover at least part of the square room with the sleeper volume.  That is okay if players are supposed to go through the square room first, but that may not always be the case.  You can work around this by designing things with the limitation in mind, but it would be better if I could have the sleeper volume cover an irregular shape rather than only square or rectangle.  Note that this should also allow irregularity in the vertical axis as well.  This could also be of use if added to the Z button selection box for copy/paste/fill/etc.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)