Fort Knox Horde Base

Falcon197

Hey all!

After working on this base design for 4 alphas now, I figured it was time to make a proper tour video to show off the layout and contribute to the base building community.

Back in the days of A16, the group I play 7DTD with asked me to design a better horde base.  And given how many base blueprints seem to focus more on cheesing the zombie AI, I decided to aim for something realistic and started looking at IRL buildings for inspiration.  I landed on the Gold Reserve Depository vault in Fort Knox, which apart from being one of the most secure facilities in the world - it's actually built like a damn fortress and offers a lot of advantages for horde defense.  

This was the starting point:

fort-knox2.jpg.afae5dec2bd7335e4dff9fa34556a664.jpg

And thus began my early layouts:

20200419191009_1.thumb.jpg.a9a8679f74d7cb88f12d4e0c0ac82a35.jpg

Here's where things went in the first implementation:

20200531195155_1.thumb.jpg.8b29ebd32bbc000e2b608b379d2bcb20.jpg

And here's where I ended up as of A20 (with the help of some block mods for improved windows and doors):

20220205214826_1.thumb.jpg.ff8c12c41a0f63be41dfae5f1bc3f298.jpg

I'm considering doing an additional guide on how to build it, and I might possibly post the prefab export - which requires a set of block mods to be installed first to ensure correct importing of the POI to the world.

Credits to Ztensity, Delmod, and Smitty for their door and window assets.  Feedback comes welcome.  I'm curious to hear what people think!

Edited by Falcon197 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Now we just need the whole base, Ekron, Louisville, Muldraugh, March Ridge, and West Point. Just to screw with veterans of PZ, we need a mobile park/rest stop on US-60/Dixie Highway, between Muldraugh and West Point.

@Falcon197 I am not at all suggesting that you do it, but maybe this can be community project... 🤤

12 hours ago, mprojekt said:

Now we just need the whole base, Ekron, Louisville, Muldraugh, March Ridge, and West Point. Just to screw with veterans of PZ, we need a mobile park/rest stop on US-60/Dixie Highway, between Muldraugh and West Point.

@Falcon197 I am not at all suggesting that you do it, but maybe this can be community project... 🤤

You know, it's funny.  I've actually thought about importing the IRL heightmap for Fort Knox into 7 Days and making a realistic recreation of the area with the depository as the focal point with the surrounding towns and stuff.  It wouldn't be a bad map design, really.  The trouble is all the map makers that can use heightmaps need updating for A21, and even the A20 versions had a lot of bugs.

But a community project would be fun if the tools get patched to where we can use them again.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:01 AM, Falcon197 said:

You know, it's funny.  I've actually thought about importing the IRL heightmap for Fort Knox into 7 Days and making a realistic recreation of the area with the depository as the focal point with the surrounding towns and stuff.  It wouldn't be a bad map design, really.  The trouble is all the map makers that can use heightmaps need updating for A21, and even the A20 versions had a lot of bugs.

But a community project would be fun if the tools get patched to where we can use them again.

I am crossing my fingers for Teragon. KingGen had a lot going for it, and I liked using it, but Teragon is, IMO, better suited for map-creation casuals like me.

• 6 months later...

Hopefully not too much of a necro thread post, but the Fort Knox base has evolved into a full modding project and is now live on Nexus for A20 + Undead Legacy.

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/4191?tab=description

Plans are in the works to roll out an A21 update soon, which will include a bunch of new and updated models that are themed for the structure and which can also be used in general horde base designs.

Edited by Falcon197 (see edit history)