"The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)"

Chris O

I got the above Application Error when I tried to run the game: "The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)"

It's fully updated through Steam, and the error persisted even after uninstalling and reinstalling the game. There are no mods on it. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

This is especially weird to me as I played the game successfully without bugs just a week ago. 

Hi,

That particular error is when Windows has failed reading files for an application. Troubleshooting can be broad, but it points to bad RAM (the stick(s) could need reseating, or removing XMP, etc.), a failing storage device, an antivirus/firewall/antimalware program getting in the way, or corrupted system files.

Error - The application was unable to start correctly - Microsoft Community

There's some troubleshooting you can do for your system files.

10 hours ago, Chris O said:

I got the above Application Error when I tried to run the game: "The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)"

It's fully updated through Steam, and the error persisted even after uninstalling and reinstalling the game. There are no mods on it. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

This is especially weird to me as I played the game successfully without bugs just a week ago. 

I got the same exact application error launching through Steam after the latest Windows update this past week.  I rolled back my OS to a state prior to the update and the application launched and played fine.  Allowed the update to process again today and received the same error again trying to launch the game through Steam.  Something with the latest Windows update from this past week is causing a conflict somehow.

1 hour ago, Chris O said:

Update (literally): after having these sorts of problems in this and other games, I opted to update my Windows 10 to Windows 11. The problems resolved. 

Ahh thanks for the response. I conject that your system files had been corrupted beyond detectability with Windows' scans. I would keep an eye on things, incase your storage device is starting to fail. You can use HWINFO64 or other programs to detect SMART statuses

• 4 months later...