[Alpha 20.4 (b42)] Reflected Shadows Cause Stutter.

jeromeN7

The video setting "Reflected Shadows" causes stuttering when "Shadow Distance" and "Reflection Quality" are set to Ultra and/or Ultra+.

The stutter issue gets really bad at dusk and dawn, but during mid day and mid night it's almost not there.

There is almost no stutter if I stand still, but once I start moving it gets really bad.

This sutter issue wasn't present in previous versions of the game.

I play at 1920x1080. My PC is decent, Ryzen 7 2700x + 2060 Super, 16 GB of RAM. Temps are at 50-60 under load.

I wiped all game data before updating to Alpha 20.4 (b42).

I suspect this might have something to with this change:

"Changed SkyManager to explicitly set shadowCustomResolution for the moon and sun lights based on the ingame "Shadow Distance" setting: 1k for Low/Medium, 2k for High, and 4k for Ultra/Ultra+. This gives more consistent results in terms of performance and fidelity when changing the setting, regardless of the user's output screen resolution."

I get this really bad, while in shadowed areas. I can go from 90fps on ultra setting to 20-30 in shadowed areas with major stuttering.

I play at 1920x1080. My specs are: Ryzen 3800x, 2060Super, 32gb DDR4 RAM

As stated before , this was not present in 20.3 stable.

My GPU usage is at about 70%, even when it's stuttering. So, my GPU isn't being overloaded, yet it's lagging like crazy anyway.  Even with Reflection Quality on high and Shadow Distance on ultra+ it still stutters at dusk and dawn.

When I say stutter I don't just mean low FPS, I mean very unstable FPS. It's jumping from 60-70 to 20-30 FPS many times per second.

Metro Exodus with max settings is more stable, and that's saying something. I wonder if this would run and look better if the lighting system was completely replaced with global illumination ray tracing.

2 hours ago, jeromeN7 said:

My GPU usage is at about 70%, even when it's stuttering. So, my GPU isn't being overloaded, yet it's lagging like crazy anyway.  Even with Reflection Quality on high and Shadow Distance on ultra+ it still stutters at dusk and dawn.

When I say stutter I don't just mean low FPS, I mean very unstable FPS. It's jumping from 60-70 to 20-30 FPS many times per second.

Metro Exodus with max settings is more stable, and that's saying something. I wonder if this would run and look better if the lighting system was completely replaced with global illumination ray tracing.

I know what you mean when saying the stuttering. its like im playing a Gif image duing shadows. Its hard to explain, but the best I could come up with.

Archived