How do I know if my mod requires the clients to have a copy, and if it requires a new game?

Aesirkin

I've seen many mods posted that say they can be added to an existing game and others that say they require a new game.  And some say they just need installed on the server for a multiplayer game and others that require clients to install them.  How do I know what my mod requires?  Or how do I know what is required for mods I find without these notes?

I've played server-multiplayer games where there are new items with no images, and the images appear when I install the associated mods.  Does this mean that xpath based changes only need to be on the server, while the clients require any mod with a UI component to it?

Can mods that add items be added to an existing game, as newly spawned loot containers will just pickup the changes?  It seems that the only mods I see that say they absolutely require a new game make changes to things set down during map creation.

Any insights would be appreciated.

There's no blanket statement for mods really.

Generally speaking though, a mod that has anything other than xml files needs everyone to install it. Icons, new assets, etc are not pushed from the host/server.

As far as needing a new game, it depends what all the mod changes. Typically changes to some areas of progression can reset characters, so a new game is needed. Usually just adding some new items or blocks doesn't need a new game. Adding something to loot won't require a new game as the loot isn't rolled until you open a container.

And obviously, it's always advised to not remove mods from a game as that can cause all sorts of issues.

Archived