Is there a mod for creating custom difficulties?

Fenris

Basically I'd like to do 100% damage to the zombies (I hate bullet sponges), but have them be able to do 150% (or maybe 200%) damage so they still feel like a threat if they get in close.

I looked through the XML files, and I see pretty much every setting except for damage. It's possible I have no clue what to look for and it's there.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

18 hours ago, Fenris said:

Basically I'd like to do 100% damage to the zombies (I hate bullet sponges), but have them be able to do 150% (or maybe 200%) damage so they still feel like a threat if they get in close.

I looked through the XML files, and I see pretty much every setting except for damage. It's possible I have no clue what to look for and it's there.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Look in the items.xml file and starting around line 5901 you should start seeing how the damage for zombies is determined

<item name="meleeHandZombie01">

There are several entities there that apply to the zombie attacks (the item names are very descriptive).

For damage to the player, you are looking for entity_damage.  For example, meleeHandZombieFeral has the following code:

<item name="meleeHandZombieFeral">
    <property name="Extends" value="meleeHandZombie01"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
    <property class="Action0">
        <property name="DamageEntity" value="20"/>
        <property name="DamageBlock" value="24"/>

</item>

As you can see there, any zombie that uses the meleeHandZombieFeral has a base entity damage of 20.

So you can create a modlet that changes those values for each zombie item (for example, change the above code from 20 to 40).

I am not sure if you can change all via a percent_add command.  Zombie health is a passive effect which you can easily do an universal change via perc_add command added to the game.  So without looking further (just theory on my part), the difficulty settings on the start menu will have the game look for any entities with Zombie in the tag and then apply a perc_add to their health to increase the hp of every zombie entity in the game.

The entity damage from the zombies are a property of the class Action0, which is different from the passive effects.   And from the items.xml file, we see the following comment in meleeHandZombie

<!-- these base_add or perc_add have no effect whatsoever on zombies
        <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="10"/>
        <passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="100"/>
        -->

So in summary, you can change them; but I believe it has to be done individually which is why we don't have an option today just to increase the damage output of the zombies.  I can be wrong so I will look further, but if the information is in the c# code, then I probably won't see it for some time  🙂