General Questions

Rotor

Mainly because a few things appear not to be updated for A20 in the WWW.

The stealth bar, High Green more stealth or less?  Same thing with the number, what does the value mean?

Do PoI light sources emit "heat" for the zombie radar?  

What player level or game day triggers the cop/demo/vultures in BM nights?  Just wondering how long cobblestone will suit me :).

I know to keep craft base from horde base separate, in case.  But until I can amass RSs  I like to keep it together.

Does killing Zs attrack more Zs?  I feel like the more I try to clean up my necks of the woods, the more they like to come around.  Does it add to the heat signature?

If I clear a PoI but dont set a land claim block to the Zs spawn back?  Beside being a spawn point, does the bedroll protect an area from  Z spawns?

This is all based on single player, vanilla.  30 day loot respawn.  Blood Moon set for 7Ds.  Feral at night only.

Couple more.  In the mesh options, is the distance in inches :), meters? Pixels?

Maps, is the number in inches, pixels, meters?  I.e. 10k map is what? 10 Pixels?

Answered inline.

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

The stealth bar, High Green more stealth or less?  Same thing with the number, what does the value mean?

The lower the bar/number the better. The number is a combination of noise + light level; it can't really be quantified except "lower is better". If you want the math I could get that for you.

Do PoI light sources emit "heat" for the zombie radar?  

No. At least, not the electric lights. I don't think the POI torches do either, but not as certain on that. I will check. Confirmed. Only player-placed torches & candles generate heat.

What player level or game day triggers the cop/demo/vultures in BM nights?  Just wondering how long cobblestone will suit me :).

Vulture: gamestage 44, Cop: gamestage 59, Demo: gamestage 147. This info is in /data/config/entitygroups.xml, look for the "feralHordeStageGSxx" groups.

Does killing Zs attrack more Zs?  I feel like the more I try to clean up my necks of the woods, the more they like to come around.  Does it add to the heat signature?

Not directly (I'm pretty sure), but the noise from gunfire will add to heat. I'll double-check the zombie-killing event. Checked, and I can't see any evidence that a zombie death contributes anything to heat. These are the events which can add to heat (I believe Forge is used for all workstations):

•   Campfire
  •   Forge
  •   KillAnimal
  •   Sound
  •   Smell
  •   Carcass
  •   Torch

I looked into the Sound event, but I don't see any link to zombie death. Just normal sounds.

If I clear a PoI but dont set a land claim block to the Zs spawn back?  Beside being a spawn point, does the bedroll protect an area from  Z spawns?

Yes (as long as you have loot respawn enabled I think) and yes.

This is all based on single player, vanilla.  30 day loot respawn.  Blood Moon set for 7Ds.  Feral at night only.

Couple more.  In the mesh options, is the distance in inches :), meters? Pixels?

Not sure, but probably meters/blocks.

Maps, is the number in inches, pixels, meters?  I.e. 10k map is what? 10 Pixels?

Definitely meters/blocks, and since the world is divided into 16x16 chunks, it ought to be 10 x 1024 = 10240 meters on a side.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

A couple of follow up's:

What qualifies as smell?  Is this the raw meat one might be carrying?

Back to PoIs lights.   Okay, so It doesn't increase heat, but it does influence the meter.  Inside a PoI with lights, the meter goes up.  Before I waste RSs does blocking window s reduce the meter?  Or just because I am under a light the Z's come knocking?

So, cleaning up carcasses, on top of nitrate, is good to clean to reduce heat.   Did I get that right?  Are blood spots considered carcass?

Define block?  I play on RWG 10k map.  I have been to a side rad zone, and it was about 1.5k to 2k meters from my base waypoint, it was like 4 or 5 grids on the in game map viewer.

I need to look at offline viewer I don't recall how many grids from 0.0 are depicted.

Thanks.

One more, what is the LoS in the game?  I.e. standard 3 miles at 6ft agl?

Only asking because of I can figure out LoS and how mesh distance is calculated, then in theory you can set mesh to same as LoS and rest be damned and should dynamicly load as

you move.  Si?

17 minutes ago, Rotor said:

What qualifies as smell?  Is this the raw meat one might be carrying?

Currently in the XML (items.xml) only Bacon and Eggs and Raw Meat have a smell parameter. And the code for the Player entity has an EmitSmell() on every update tick. I think this might be a vestigial component of older Alphas, or a stub of some future enhancement to bring smell back. I don't think smell is an active thing right now.

Back to PoIs lights.   Okay, so It doesn't increase heat, but it does influence the meter.  Inside a PoI with lights, the meter goes up.  Before I waste RSs does blocking window s reduce the meter?  Or just because I am under a light the Z's come knocking?

Any light falling on the player will affect the visibility component of stealth. Shooting out or otherwise blocking lights to create shadows will work to reduce your visibility.

So, cleaning up carcasses, on top of nitrate, is good to clean to reduce heat.   Did I get that right?  Are blood spots considered carcass?

I'm not sure what the "carcass" heat type is for. I don't think it's likely that it refers to the roadway decoration, since generally RWG objects don't contribute to heat. I'll have to do some digging to see if I can figure that out. It could be another leftover from earlier alphas.

Define block?  I play on RWG 10k map.  I have been to a side rad zone, and it was about 1.5k to 2k meters from my base waypoint, it was like 4 or 5 grids on the in game map viewer.

A block is a single voxel in the world. Or put another way, every voxel in the world is occupied by exactly one block (possibly air). A full-size cube wood frame occupies an entire block. They are I think meant to be 1m per side. (Some items, like the workbench or garage doors, can occupy more than 1 block.)

I need to look at offline viewer I don't recall how many grids from 0.0 are depicted.

Thanks.

One more, what is the LoS in the game?  I.e. standard 3 miles at 6ft agl?

I don't know the answer to this and I suppose it depends on your distance settings. Use creative mode to eyeball a spot in the distance and then fly over there and calculate meters. Close enough for government work? Dunno how much effect fog or snow plays into what you're trying to do.

Only asking because of I can figure out LoS and how mesh distance is calculated, then in theory you can set mesh to same as LoS and rest be damned and should dynamicly load as you move.  Si?

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

I did a bit of digging and Smell is definitely a left-over, or a stub for future work. Not used for heat levels or stealth currently. Raw meat and B&E do still contribute to a smell property on the player, but it's never used.

Carcass is almost certainly the same, a residual hild over from pre a18 lootable zombie bodies that were replaced with dropped lootable bags randomly. 

Thanks a bunch.  Back at the computer.  This is the 10k map I play on.  The previewer from 

Does provide 10 grids radiating from 0.0 on the XY axis, so each grid is 500m.  That makes more sense now.  I will have to ck if the ingame "M" map to see if it scales as such.

As far as LoS, I guess it would be nice to know for video settings using "Distance" as Low/Med/High, what are those 3 values. 

With the block being a meter then about 1610 blocks would be a mile.  On the sea shore at water level a 6 foot tall person has an LoS of 3 miles, or 4830 blocks.

So, if "High" is 4830 blocks, theoritically you could live with a low setting and not notice a game "view" difference within 1 mile distance, and you could set Mesh to match this at 1610.  However, if High is .5 miles or 805 you can unload the system quite a bit more.

The key is to know what the words in the field values using distance are in actual distance.

preview10k.png